nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #10613
View in linear mode

Subject: "Downloading to computer problem" Previous topic | Next topic
joejr Registered since 11th Nov 2005Sun 10-Sep-06 11:09 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Downloading to computer problem"

London, CA

On my desktop unit, I have the USB 1.1 and when I download my images, every once in a while some of the images are "banded" or have some odd color to them. Would this be a function of the slower USB connection. The same image doesn't do this every time so I know its not the SD card. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks, Joe.

joejr

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Downloading to computer problem
John Garth
11th Sep 2006
edmun
11th Sep 2006
bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources
11th Sep 2006
K1W1
11th Sep 2006
joejr
11th Sep 2006

John Garth Registered since 10th Jun 2006Mon 11-Sep-06 02:11 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Downloading to computer problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'd recommend a good USB card reader. It's faster and safer. They cost about $20.00....say like a Dazzle brand...

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 11-Sep-06 05:19 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Downloading to computer problem"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Your problem is some where else - it is either a camera problem or a card problem.

I suspect a camera problem but you need to post a picture so we can see it and not guess.

I also recommnd getting a card reader is will not run your battery down and it is much faster.

Sandisk is the brand my computer store recommends but most brands will work except I have found Lexar ones to be quirky.

ledmun

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberMon 11-Sep-06 05:25 AM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Downloading to computer problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Sammamish, US

It could easily be a USB cable problem or a USB controller problem as well. The banding sounds like a bad contact somewhere.

Bob Johnson - Earthbound Light - Nikonians Gallery
Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond
Lots more new images!! - Weekly Phototips and Articles - RSS Feed

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Mon 11-Sep-06 07:06 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Downloading to computer problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Melbourne, AU

Lets go back to basics first.
Before you buy a card reader get a PCI USB 2.0 card for inside the PC (assuming that there is a spare slot), then get a decent USB 2.0 cable and a card reader.
A card reader alone without the USB 2.0 interface card is unlikely to fix the problem as it probably relates to a timimg issue between the camera and the USB chipset that you are using. If you have a VIA USB 1.1 chipset I would almost put money on it being the problem.
An option may me to go to the manufacturer of the motherboards web site and download any updated drivers for the board.

joejr Registered since 11th Nov 2005Mon 11-Sep-06 10:26 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Downloading to computer problem"
In response to Reply # 0

London, CA

I thank you for all the info. I was using a 1 gig Sandisk and this was the problem all the time.. Tonight, after reading your suggestions, I loaded a 512 Panasonic card I had an downloaded some images. No problem. Guess I will see if I can exchange the Sandisk. It is defective.

Many thanks for all your help. Joe.

joejr

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #10613 Previous topic | Next topic