nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using the D50 with Flask pack HELP!

Zeroneg1

US
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Zeroneg1 Registered since 08th Apr 2006
Sun 10-Sep-06 12:26 PM

Ok here is my setup:

Novatron 240 with a 32 inch silver and white umbrella. FIll flash as set a -2 stops on a light stand.

Minolta flash Meter IV using the flat disk for lightign ratio calculation.

When I started doing 'corded' flash metering with the AS-10 on the D50, I got F/5.6 at 250th/sec at 200 ISO. So I set those on the D50 and gues what I got? Totally white exposure of 3-4 stops over. In Zone System parlance I only got Zone IX and above, nothing on VII or even VII so no texture highlights at all!

So what do I do? I set my flash pack to 120 watt/sec instead of 240. So I get F/5/6 ast 125th /sec. Same overexposure result only this time I got some Zone VII.

What worked? I had to shoot at 2500th/sec to 3200th/sec at F/4 to F/4.5 to be able to get a decent image. I was also suprised since the flash synch of the D50 is only 500th/sec but i was able to get images as high as 400oth/sec. Maybe the flash duration of the flash pack is long that's why it worked?

Does this mean every digital SLR shooter is using continous lights now instead of flash packs due to this problem?

G