nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #10597
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using the D50 with Flask pack HELP!" Previous topic | Next topic
Zeroneg1 Registered since 08th Apr 2006Sun 10-Sep-06 01:26 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using the D50 with Flask pack HELP!"

US

Ok here is my setup:

Novatron 240 with a 32 inch silver and white umbrella. FIll flash as set a -2 stops on a light stand.

Minolta flash Meter IV using the flat disk for lightign ratio calculation.

When I started doing 'corded' flash metering with the AS-10 on the D50, I got F/5.6 at 250th/sec at 200 ISO. So I set those on the D50 and gues what I got? Totally white exposure of 3-4 stops over. In Zone System parlance I only got Zone IX and above, nothing on VII or even VII so no texture highlights at all!

So what do I do? I set my flash pack to 120 watt/sec instead of 240. So I get F/5/6 ast 125th /sec. Same overexposure result only this time I got some Zone VII.

What worked? I had to shoot at 2500th/sec to 3200th/sec at F/4 to F/4.5 to be able to get a decent image. I was also suprised since the flash synch of the D50 is only 500th/sec but i was able to get images as high as 400oth/sec. Maybe the flash duration of the flash pack is long that's why it worked?

Does this mean every digital SLR shooter is using continous lights now instead of flash packs due to this problem?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Sun 10-Sep-06 10:20 PM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using the D50 with Flask pack HELP!"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

Double check EVERYTHING.
What you got is an indication that something was not set correctly. Example, the meter was set to ISO-200, but was the camera also set to ISO-200? And check that the camera is set to M (manual exposure) mode.

What is the exposure when using the dome difuser? As I recall the flat difuser is for measuring lighting ratios, not necessarily for determining exposure. Check what your manual says.

Are you shooting indoors with lots of window light?
The reason for that question is that the shutter speed should not have any effect for a flash shot. Flash exposure is adjusted using the aperture. Shutter speed adjusts exposure for ambient light.

Go back and do this with ONE head on the Novatron. Eliminate the confusion of the 2nd head until you get the exposure problem solved. And do it in a room w/o windows so you can again eliminate sunlight as another variable.

gud luk
Gary

Zeroneg1 Registered since 08th Apr 2006Mon 11-Sep-06 06:29 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using the D50 with Flask pack HELP!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the reply. I double checked everything since I was getting weird results. I was not doing anything different from my N90s/N8008s setup. The only thing different was the D50. Ive had the Novatron for awhile as well as the incident flash meter so I did know what was going on.

I also did check for a single flash head in use only and the incident meter reading did not deviate by more than 1/3 of a stop. Something was clearly wrong here. There was ambient lighting yes and it was a location shot so I guess I should have done a 'mixed lighting' measurement (aka 'Flash with ambient light' metering) using the 'Analyze Function' of the flash meter.

So i guess I answered my own question! LOL. Thanks though for making me realize that it was amixed lighting situation while I solely relied on the flash w/o compensating for the ambient lighting. I dont think in film though that it would have impacted my exposure as much since the flash was fairly bright relative to the ambient lighting even with using the single head.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #10597 Previous topic | Next topic