Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #10565
View in linear mode

Subject: "Dust" Previous topic | Next topic
Zoro Registered since 04th Apr 2006Sat 09-Sep-06 02:28 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Dust"

Now that Sony has the A100 that like Olympus has the dust cleaning feature. How come Nikon is so so far behind the curve?
My D50 is a great camera for me, butI just hate to change a lens because of dust getting on the sensor no matter how careful I am.Des

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Dust
MotoMannequin Moderator
09th Sep 2006
Zoro
09th Sep 2006
MotoMannequin Moderator
09th Sep 2006
James23p Moderator
09th Sep 2006
James23p Moderator
09th Sep 2006
Solutions Etcetera
09th Sep 2006
Matt514
09th Sep 2006
Guitarmaniac
09th Sep 2006
K1W1
09th Sep 2006
Craig Morris
10th Sep 2006
Krafty1
11th Sep 2006

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sat 09-Sep-06 03:34 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Dust"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

I don't know if I'd say Nikon is "behind the curve" due to 1 feature. Canon & Nikon pretty much own the dSLR market on the strengths of their cameras, lens systems, and accessory markets. You couldn't even come close to saying that about Olympus or Sony.

While in-camera dust-off would be nice, it's IMO not too much to worry about, and an incorrect strategy to not change lenses. I change lenses whenever I want, clean my sensor about once a month, and can very easily fix any dust bunnies on post processing. Besides, your lens is probably not sealed, and the act of zooming is sucking air and therefore dust into the lens. Not changing lenses does you no good.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
Please visit my Nikonians gallery

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Zoro Registered since 04th Apr 2006Sat 09-Sep-06 05:18 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Dust"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you for your reply. I do not have anyting to clean my sensor. From what I read that is a hard thing to do without damaging the sensor. What do you have to do the job and where can I obtain the materials? and the instructions.
I was in the UK for 10 months and while there in spite of handling the lens change as careful as I good. A ton of junk got on the sensor. It cost me $150 for Nikon to clean the sensor.
I agree that the Nikon lens are world class as are Canon's. However they are in my opinion way behind when it comes to the built in cleaning feature. Thanks again and please tell me where to get the materials you have to clean the sensor, Des

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sat 09-Sep-06 05:42 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Dust"
In response to Reply # 2

Livermore, CA, US

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=Tutorials

Please visit my Nikonians gallery

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sat 09-Sep-06 06:03 PM
9752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Dust"
In response to Reply # 2

Memphis, US

Zoro one thing you are not actually cleaning the sensor. There is a very hard filter above the sensor you are cleaning. If you follow the website Larry provided you will be fine. I have a friend who has the Olympus and he thinks the Ultrasonic wave only works some of the time he had to have it cleaned by olympus. Sometimes gimicks are just that gimicks.

Good Luck and kind regards Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sat 09-Sep-06 05:21 PM
9752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Dust"
In response to Reply # 1

Memphis, US

I agree with Larry I just go about what I need to do. When my sensor gets dirty I just clean it and so far that has only been one time in 4 months. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Solutions Etcetera Registered since 21st Jun 2006Sat 09-Sep-06 06:09 PM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Dust"
In response to Reply # 3

Pollock Pines, US

And note that the dust off systems in the Oly and Sony do not remove dust from the camera, they simply shake it off the sensor, and in olympus' case, you have to wait for it on power up before you can use the camera.

One of the reasons I bought the Nikon is the camera is available for use as soon as you turn it on.

And while the dust off feature is better than nothing, it does not preclude regular sensor cleaning, especially if you live in a humid environment.

Scott Simon

Solutions Etcetera
http://www.solutionsetcetera.com

Matt514 Registered since 17th Aug 2006Sat 09-Sep-06 07:43 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Dust"
In response to Reply # 0

Cleveland, US

It may be interesting to note that Sony and Olympus are just dusting off the sensor, and keeping that dust inside the case. Where in the case? It gets tossed on a little sticky square that cannot be removed... so once it is coated in dust or gets heated up a few times, the dust will just be drifting around inside the camera body.

I personally don't see this as a big buying point, let alone something that Nikon should consider. Once they develop a superior technology (some way to get the dust OUT of the camera, not just relocate it inside) I'd consider it a benefit.

That's my opinionated response

-Matt
(http://www.crashagain.com)
D50 / 20-35mm 2.8 / 28-70mm 2.8 / 70-210mm 4-5.6 / 50mm 1.8 D / 85mm 1.8 D

Guitarmaniac Registered since 02nd Dec 2005Sat 09-Sep-06 09:13 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Dust"
In response to Reply # 7

US

just one more thing to break while you're in the middle of a shoot.

Paul

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 09-Sep-06 10:19 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Dust"
In response to Reply # 8

Melbourne, AU

Have a good look around the Internet.
There are lots of instances of people running tests that all seem to point to the fact that the dust cleaning systems on Olympus and (particularly) Sony cameras do not work at best and are simply marketing exercises at worst.
I have invested all of about 15 minutes and zero dollars in cleaning dust out of may camera in the last 12 months, I change lenses often but take basic precautions when I do and I simply do not have a just problem worth worrying about.
The absolute last thing I want on a camera is a piece of electronic equipment of little or no benefit that causes the camera to cost more and will potentially not work.

Try this link as a start.

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=468

Craig Morris Registered since 10th Sep 2006Sun 10-Sep-06 01:36 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Dust"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I shoot a lot of Moto cross, and I'm changing my lens on the VERY dusty track and there is no problem. Mirror lock up and blow it off.

Craig Morris

Krafty1 Registered since 02nd Mar 2006Mon 11-Sep-06 06:36 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Dust"
In response to Reply # 0

South Elgin, US

I've also heard that the ultrasonic sensors don't get all the dust off the sensor. I change lenses a lot and have only had to clean my sensor once so far (I've had the camera for 7 months). I use the copperhill method and it was so easy I thought I must be missing something. But a quick picture of the blue sky (I took before and after shots) at F/22 confirmed I did it right.

Don't worry about changing lenses and don't be afraid to clean the sensor. It's a piece of cake!

Bob K
Nikon D50
50mm f/1.8D AF
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom

Bob K
D50, D1
SB-600
50mm f/1.8D AF
85mm f/1.8D AF
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #10565 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.