Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1055
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 + filter + hood... dumb question" Previous topic | Next topic
MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 10-Dec-05 04:32 PM
3257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 + filter + hood... dumb question"

Camberley, GB

Please excuse what is probably a dumb question(s).. also not sure if I should be posting this on the D50 section but here goes.
I've just purchased (but not to be opened until Christmas) a D50 with the standard 18-55 lens kit.
I am considering adding some front of lens protection by getting a 52mm UV filter. Will I create any problems by doing this? My current intention is to keep the filter "permanently" on.

I am also considering getting a Hoya (or maybe a Hama) rubber multihood which I understand can be adjusted for wide angle, standard and telephoto settings. Will I have any problems with this? Is it right that I would have to remove the hood if using the internal flash?
In addition, there appears to be a question on whether the lens cap will then clip onto the lens with the hood attached?

Am I right in thinking that in this scenario the filter would screw to the lens, and then the hood screw to the filter? and not the other way around.

Sorry again for so many dumb questions ... great site btw.

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 + filter + hood... dumb question
Rebel
10th Dec 2005
edmun
10th Dec 2005
nipprdog
10th Dec 2005
MasterDabber Silver Member
11th Dec 2005
Rebel
11th Dec 2005
11th Dec 2005
edmun
12th Dec 2005
debarshiduttagupta
12th Dec 2005
13th Dec 2005

Rebel Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 10-Dec-05 08:38 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 + filter + hood... dumb question"
In response to Reply # 0

London, GB

Putting a good quality UV filter on your lens won't cause any problems at all and it can be left on permanently if you wish.

I've no experience with the Hoya lens hood so I can't say how well it will work but there's a good chance that it might not work well with the internal flash at wider angles.

If you have a good filter like Hoya, Nikon, etc the hood will be able to screw in to the top of the filter.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter" - Ansel Adams

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 10-Dec-05 10:26 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 + filter + hood... dumb question"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Buy the Nikon one it will be more convenient and will not cause surprises.

ledmun

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 10-Dec-05 10:59 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 + filter + hood... dumb question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I tried an aftermarket lens hood on mine. screwed on top of the filter. even with the filter pulled back, I got this at 18mm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/DSC_0071w2.jpg

it was caused by the ring on top of the filter,not the hood.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sun 11-Dec-05 01:09 PM
3257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 + filter + hood... dumb question"
In response to Reply # 3

Camberley, GB

Thanks for the replies. I'll take your advice and order the Nikon hood... HB-33 seems to be the one.

Nipprdog... your photo with the vignetting illustrates the problem I could have got into. I note that the Nikon hood has a bayonet fitting as oppsed to the Hoya which was screw in.

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Rebel Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 11-Dec-05 07:01 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 + filter + hood... dumb question"
In response to Reply # 4

London, GB

Wise choice. The UV filter shouldn't cause you any vignetting problems on its own, but you can purchase a Hoya Ultra series filter which has been made extra thin for wide angle if you feel you need it. Personally I haven't experienced any problems at 18mm with a standard filter on my 18-70mm lens.

Adding a lens hood on top of the filter, as Nipprdog has shown us, is obviously not a good idea.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter" - Ansel Adams

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sun 11-Dec-05 07:13 PM
#6. "RE: D50 + filter + hood... dumb question"
In response to Reply # 5

Camberley, GB

>Wise choice. The UV filter shouldn't cause you any
>vignetting problems on its own, but you can purchase a Hoya
>Ultra series filter which has been made extra thin for wide
>angle if you feel you need it. Personally I haven't
>experienced any problems at 18mm with a standard filter on
>my 18-70mm lens.
>
>Adding a lens hood on top of the filter, as Nipprdog has
>shown us, is obviously not a good idea.

So, just to make sure I've understood this correctly.

I should put the Nikon HB-33 directly onto the lens, then screw the filter onto the hood. Is that correct?

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 12-Dec-05 10:35 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D50 + filter + hood... dumb question"
In response to Reply # 6

eugene, US

The hood probably fastens to the outside of the lens. The filter fastens to the threads on the inside of the lens front.

The hood fits over the filter and does not connect in anyway if it is a bayonet lens hood.

ledmun

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Mon 12-Dec-05 02:44 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D50 + filter + hood... dumb question"
In response to Reply # 0

Kolkata, IN

I have a rubber lens hood and got a lot og vignetting at 18mm wide. So no I have switched to the Nikon HB33 hood and dont experience any vignetting at 18mm wide.

A 52mm skylight is a must and I have not yet taken my 52mm skylight off my lens.

Happy clicking

Debarshi

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Tue 13-Dec-05 12:34 PM
#9. "RE: D50 + filter + hood... dumb question"
In response to Reply # 8

Camberley, GB

Thanks again for all your help. It is now clear even to me

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1055 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.