Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #10207
View in linear mode

Subject: "Learning with D50" Previous topic | Next topic
zutshy Registered since 30th Aug 2006Wed 30-Aug-06 10:30 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Learning with D50"

Hi,
My first post here. Im new to SLRs and after a lot of research have decided to go for a D50, would get it in a couple o days. I would particularly like to do some portraits with it. Is the standard kit-lens a good choice for this ?

Im a newbie, so any suggestions on where to start, what to read would be a great help. (Have used a Sony Cybershot previously).

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Learning with D50
K1W1
30th Aug 2006
nwcs Silver Member
31st Aug 2006
edmun
31st Aug 2006
James23p Moderator
16th Jan 2008
Matt514
31st Aug 2006
zutshy
31st Aug 2006
kgendron12
31st Aug 2006

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Wed 30-Aug-06 11:50 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Learning with D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

Welcome.

There is plenty of great information on this site if you dig around a bit. In addition Thom Hogan also has a site that contains a wealth of interesting information and some tutorials.

Edit:
To save me having to answer your query on Flickr there is nothing at all wrong with the 18-55 kit lens. In many respects it's better than the 18-70 kit lens in the lower end of the telephoto range and as good at the higher end but it just does not reach as far.
You have to learn that lens envy and lens snobbery is a fact of life in the DSLR world. Somebody will always tell you that what you have is no good and what they have is better or that you would be better served with a XX lens.
Get the D50 with the kit lens take large numbers of photos enjoy yourself and learn. When YOU decide that you need better / faster / wider / longer lenses then it's time for you to start buying.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 31-Aug-06 12:33 AM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Learning with D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

A good and inexpensive portrait lens would be the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens. A non-gray market one will cost about $110 US.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 31-Aug-06 03:11 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Learning with D50"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

Both of the standard Nikon kit lens are great lens for portraits.

The lens are under appriciated.

If anything they are too sharp for portraits.

Some are saying the 18-55 is sharper than the 18-70 but at least they appear to be close in quality.

The 50 mm is also a good lens although I prefer the zooms because they allow quick changes of view from full length to head to 3/4 body to a head shot.

The 50 mm may actually be sharper and at around $100 new it is a real buy.

ledmun

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 16-Jan-08 01:16 PM
9085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Learning with D50"
In response to Reply # 3

Memphis, US

I have the 18-55DX Nikkor and find it to be an excellent lens for the money. It is a very good lens to start with and learn and when the time comes that you out grow it you will not be out alot of money.

As stated the 50 1.8 is also a great lens and cheap. But I would not make that my sole lens on a DSLR so if you can have only one the 18-55 is a better choice.

Hope this helps Jim

Edited to add here is my daughter this was taken with the 18-55DX

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Matt514 Registered since 17th Aug 2006Thu 31-Aug-06 03:07 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Learning with D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Cleveland, US

I agree with many of the other posts here - get the 18-55mm and enjoy shooting a few thousand pictures with it. Once you get a good feel for the camera, and know what kind of pictures you like to take most, shop for more lenses.

I personally took 4k+ pictures with the kit lens (18-55mm) before buying a dirt cheap used telephoto lens (70-210mm). Both are good, solid, cheap.

Take time to learn how the M, A, S and P modes work, and you'll really appreciate the camera and be able to chose what your first lens upgrade should be (if you ever even need one!).

Enjoy the new camera I love mine, and intend to keep using it until it literally wears out!

-Matt
(http://www.crashagain.com)
D50 / 20-35mm 2.8 / 28-70mm 2.8 / 70-210mm 4-5.6 / 50mm 1.8 D / 85mm 1.8 D

zutshy Registered since 30th Aug 2006Thu 31-Aug-06 04:32 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Learning with D50"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have ordered the standard D50 kit. I'll get started with the standard kit-lens for the time being. Hope to learn a lot from you guys.

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Thu 31-Aug-06 11:09 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Learning with D50"
In response to Reply # 5

Burlington, US

I HIGHLY recommend the 50mm f/1.8 lens in addition to a medium range zoom (18-55 or 18-70 or the new 18-135). I also recommend adding the SB-600 speedlight flash. It is sooo much better than the pop-up flash (not that is it terrible). The 50mm 1.8 will allow for both flash and non-flash portraits. Indoor natural light portraits make great pictures. Add the power of the SB-600 with the bounce option and you can really create some nice lighting.

Here are a few of mine:
My daughter, taken with the 18-70mm:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/Mary%20Elizabeth/DSC_0508.jpg

taken with the 50mm f1.8 ISO 1600 1/125th at f/2 no flash:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/Mary%20Elizabeth/DSC_2090.jpg

50mm lens, ISO 200, 1/30th at f/2, flash with omnibounce diffuser:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/Mary%20Elizabeth/DSC_2441.jpg

Finally, 18-70mm lens, ISO 200, 1/80th at f/4.2 with flash bounced off ceiling:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/Family%20and%20Friends/Hennessy%20Side/DSC_2780.jpg

Enjoy your new camera!!

My Disney World Gallery (2006 trip all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #10207 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.