nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
DanD50

36 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DanD50 Registered since 22nd Nov 2005
Fri 09-Dec-05 01:22 PM

Again - I am new to the SLR world so you might have to dumb down your answers for me. Last night I photographed the buildings and christmas lights in our city center. Here are the settings that I used and the reasons that I choose to use them.

- I used a tripod.
- ISO: 200 because the lower the ISO the less chance of noise in low light

- F22: because I was going for the largest depth of field possible. In other words I wanted the lights in the foreground to be in focus as well as the building in the background.

- Shutter speeds between 3 and 30 seconds depending on how much light was around.

- Metering: I mostly switched between spot and matrix until I got the desired results.

- WB - Auto

1 - I was pleased with the results but I know that I could do more. First of all based upon what I was shooting and my goal to have as much in focus as possible do the above settings sound OK? Is F22 too big? What settings would you use on the D50 for the same night of shooting?

2 - I really struggled with WB. I had read that Auto is not good enough when photographing Christmas Lights but it seemed like as I took test photos in other modes they all looked worse. What would you have your D50's WB set on for this type of shooting?

Thanks!
Dan

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 and Christmas Lights avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Dec 2005
Reply message RE: D50 and Christmas Lights Shred
09th Dec 2005
     Reply message RE: D50 and Christmas Lights soupdragon
09th Dec 2005
          Reply message RE: D50 and Christmas Lights edmun
09th Dec 2005
               Reply message RE: D50 and Christmas Lights nickschneider
12th Dec 2005
                    Reply message RE: D50 and Christmas Lights DanD50
12th Dec 2005
                         Reply message RE: D50 and Christmas Lights espuna
13th Dec 2005
13th Dec 2005
14th Dec 2005
                                        Reply message RE: D50 and Christmas Lights soupdragon
14th Dec 2005
                                             Reply message RE: D50 and Christmas Lights Shred
14th Dec 2005
19th Dec 2005
                                                  Reply message RE: D50 and Christmas Lights MstrBones Silver Member
22nd Dec 2005

G