Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1
View in linear mode

Subject: "Welcome" Previous topic | Next topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 28-Oct-05 06:30 AM
34785 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Welcome"

San Pedro Garza García, MX

This most affordable digital SLR body has many Nikonians raving about it.
Check out this excellent father-and-son Nikonians Review: D50 - Compact, but Solid and Capable, with sample images.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Welcome
TR24135 Silver Member
12th Dec 2005
avm247 Moderator
12th Dec 2005
Reply message RE: D-50 manual
Macnut
31st Dec 2005
Lenny53
14th Jan 2006
TampaNikon1
20th Jan 2006
Lenny53
20th Jan 2006
TampaNikon1
21st Jan 2006
phil lane
11th May 2006
peeter97
14th Nov 2006
kkeenan2
15th May 2006
PerksZA_D50
23rd Jun 2006
Deba
16th Jul 2006
oldnikonian
11th Jun 2006
Reply message D50 Digitutor?
Mcgreenx
30th Jan 2006
     Reply message RE: D50 Digitutor?
danniclo
02nd May 2006
     Reply message RE: D50 Digitutor?
Macnut
03rd Oct 2006
odle2
17th Mar 2006
Satanshollow
22nd Mar 2006
Reply message RE: D50 Manual
DovBaer
12th Jun 2006
peeter97
14th Nov 2006
Deba
16th Jul 2006
SimonShoot
11th Sep 2006
bill stewardson
30th Sep 2006
peeter97
14th Nov 2006

TR24135 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2008Mon 12-Dec-05 03:24 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 0

Brand new to digital. Just bought a Nikon D50 and primes, 35 and 50. Old Leica film guy. Never liked zooms. Feet work just fine. Amazing to me how complicated exposure can be now when it used to be just film speed, shutter speed and the size of the "whole" that lets in the light.

The manual is awful. Any suggestions on D50 manual settings - why do I need to set the aperture at the smalletst opening to get the bugger to work at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any site with easier to understand lingo than the manual?

Hope I can find a reply on this site if sent. This is no day at the beach either.

TR

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 12-Dec-05 04:16 PM
18536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 1

Rancho Cordova, US

Tom, Welcome to Nikonians!

All current Nikon AF bodies, film and digital, control the aperture via the body. (Some bodies like the F100, F5, will allow the control of the aperture via the aperture ring, but these are the exception to the rule.) To that end, the aperture ring must be set to the minimum aperture (there is a locking ring to prevent the ring from moving) in order for the camera to determine what aperture is being set.

Also, the D50, like current most current AF bodies can only meter with AF lenses or AI-P lenses (Manual Focus lenses that include a chip); some AI, AI-S manual focus lenses can be chipped by a third part, Nikon does not do this).

Obviously, correct exposure for a given scene is dependent upon the 1) the light and 2) intent of the photographer.

Thom Hogan's eBooks are highly regarded, unfortunately, a D50 eBook has not been released yet, though one is anticipated.

In the mean time, I invite you to post your questions.

Regards,

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Macnut Registered since 20th Dec 2005Sat 31-Dec-05 10:12 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D-50 manual"
In response to Reply # 2

Stamford, US

I agree the manual is a mess. Very poorly organized and explained. There is a commercial publication available on Barnes & Noble's tech book listing, called simply, "D-50." Has anyone looked through the book and found it useful? Also, while I do miss the relative simplicity of film cameras -- aperture and shutter settings, especially -- I could never give up the convenience and security of instant review.

PHC

PHC

Lenny53 Registered since 14th Jan 2006Sat 14-Jan-06 01:45 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D-50 manual"
In response to Reply # 3

Montreal, CA

I find the manual sadly lacking as well and not up to Nikon's usual standard as very little explanation is given of the actual effect of the various settings being talked about. Maybe a Magic Lantern Guide might be published on this camera soon, hopefully written in English and not translated from German. I found the lock in of the apeture ring a little unerving at first but came to appreciate it when shooting in S mode with a zoom lense. I was quite intrigued how f stops like 7.1 and 10 displayed in the viewer.

TampaNikon1 Registered since 30th Nov 2001Fri 20-Jan-06 07:12 PM
1070 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D-50 manual"
In response to Reply # 4

Spring Hill, US

Actually there is a Magic Lantern Guide for the D50.

I just picked it up a few weeks ago at my local camera Shop.

Heres a link to it. Much better than the manual.

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/bookshelves/bookshelves_1.html

Bob, A Florida Nikonian

"When you turn your camera on...does it return the favor?
"If Not get a "NIKON" !

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Lenny53 Registered since 14th Jan 2006Fri 20-Jan-06 11:47 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D-50 manual"
In response to Reply # 5

Montreal, CA

Thanx, I ordered one today but will have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for
delivery as that title is not yet available here in the Great White North.

TampaNikon1 Registered since 30th Nov 2001Sat 21-Jan-06 02:38 AM
1070 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D-50 manual"
In response to Reply # 6

Spring Hill, US

Great.

I know I love mine, clears up some of the confusion, hence more enjoyable.

Good Luck.

Bob, A Florida Nikonian

"When you turn your camera on...does it return the favor?
"If Not get a "NIKON" !

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

phil lane Registered since 11th May 2006Thu 11-May-06 08:06 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D-50 manual"
In response to Reply # 7

Hi all,

Just back to photography after many years absence - I used to do just B&W and home procesing.

Bought a D50 as now having kids etc wasn't sure of the time I could give to my hobby - must say I am delighted with my return to photgraphy and with the D50.

Haven't found any trouble with the manual etc - I just apply the old "rules and tricks" I used to, and so far it's working out OK. Things may be different for me as I am quite digital aware as I run a software development division for my company so using a computer like interface is second nature for me. I can see people who are not active computer users maybe having some trouble and then I'd agree that something beyond the manual is needed.

Cheers,

Phil

peeter97 Basic MemberTue 14-Nov-06 03:29 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: D-50 manual"
In response to Reply # 12

Homemade B@W photos whole life - me also. So working with D50 is not too difficult, especially as I had previously F50 and still keeping F80. If one is used to film-Nikon then it doesn't seem too difficult to get used working digital. I don't have problems with computer also.
Enjoy your camera.

kkeenan2 Registered since 26th Apr 2006Mon 15-May-06 09:21 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 2

FR

Hi all I am looking into purchasing a D50 later this month/early next month (my birthday present and all). Getting very excited about it!!

My question/concern based off of AMV247's response is lens compatibilty. I had a N60 with two lenses (Quantaray 28-80mm, and Sigma 100-300mm). I am only now really learning things, but I did like the handle of the N60 (even if I mostly used it as a point and shoot with nice zooms so I am comfortable going with an D50 I think.

Only... one of the prime reasons, beyond liking Nikon, for choosing the D50 was that I already have lenses and can reduce my initial output (I am sure I will get more like a macro lens etc soon though But since my lenses were bought in Fall 1999... they probably aren't AF I am guessing. I dont know if there is a way to tell, their boxes are in storage buried under all my other stuff across the pond. And will their quality be mortal if I can/do use them as I do know (now!) that lenses are where you should splurge.

I had been told they would be compatible by another Nikonian but now I am wondering. And since I live in France (but will buy the camera in the States) testing it out is a bit hard going...

Anyone have 2 cents to chime in with???
Cheers,
Kayla

PerksZA_D50 Registered since 20th Jun 2006Fri 23-Jun-06 12:48 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 13

ZA

Give more detail of the model designations of your glass, and we can guide you w.r.t. compatibility... the D50 manual has a fairly comprehensive chart for lens compatibility.

Deba Registered since 16th Jul 2006Sun 16-Jul-06 09:31 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 13

IN

Hi,
By now you must have received several replies on your quary. I am using my f/1.4 Nikkon 50mm, the oldie, and Nikon 35-70 AF f/3.3 with my new D 50, (Obvioously with some limitations).

The most important thing is with the non CPU lenses, the metering of the camera will not work. The manual exposour setting is there and instant verification of the exposed image is also there with the LCD panel. One more thing, the image files will not have the details of the focal length and efective aperture figures associated with when those get trasferred to your desktop or laptop through Nikon PP software (Comes bundled.

As a matter of fact, the details of compatibilities and limitations of other seriese lenses with D 50 are given in details in the product manual of D 50 and I would suggest you to go through it.

SAo, don't worry- Buy D 50 and enjoy using your old lenses-
Deba

oldnikonian Basic MemberSun 11-Jun-06 12:47 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 2

? lens whats the difference between a G lens and a D lens

is there any Difference in the quality of the glass and speed of focus? My D 50 Manual recommends these lens

Mcgreenx Registered since 29th Jan 2006Mon 30-Jan-06 01:31 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "D50 Digitutor?"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

First post of trial membership. Looking for my first SLR "real" digital camera (decades of Nikons from F to F3 and N90) and am trying to convince myself that I would be justified in spending $1600 (plus lens) for a D200. The complaint about the inadequate manual made this seem to be a logical place to post this inquiry:

I was looking around that forum and found the D200 Digitutor, an excellent Nikon training video. My daughter just started using her D50 and I would love to have her have the exposure (no pun intneded) to a D50 Digitutor. Does anyone know if there is such an animal?

Mike G.

Mike G

danniclo Registered since 19th Feb 2006Tue 02-May-06 12:27 PM
#11. "RE: D50 Digitutor?"
In response to Reply # 8

ste-catherine, CA

on the nikon global site you have all the digitutor d50 d70 d200 ext...

Macnut Registered since 20th Dec 2005Tue 03-Oct-06 12:57 AM
#21. "RE: D50 Digitutor?"
In response to Reply # 8

Stamford, US

Yes, the D50 is right up along with the other Nikon models in Digitutor. And it's certainly an improvement on the manual that came with the camera kit. Go to:

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d50/index.shtml

PHC

odle2 Registered since 06th Nov 2005Fri 17-Mar-06 05:11 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 0

Lisburn, GB

Just wanted to say hi and that I've got my new D50 and nothing but foul weather outside, so I can't go play! But hopefully soon I will be able to get outside and start finding things more interesting to take pictures of than the inside of my apartment!

Cheers!
Jess

Jessica L.Odell

Satanshollow Registered since 16th Jan 2008Wed 22-Mar-06 06:02 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 9

I think I've seen that D50 book at Chapters here in B.C. I almost bought it, but that was before I made up my mind about getting the D50. It was about $30 CDN for it.

DovBaer Registered since 27th May 2006Mon 12-Jun-06 02:21 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D50 Manual"
In response to Reply # 10

Seattle, US

I like the D50 manual that came with the camera. It's also online with search capability.

It appears that lots of forum users like to spend money on equipment and books. Send to me the money you would spend on equipment and I'll tell you how to do what you want to do with the equipment you already probably own. Some examples:

Want an expensive telephoto lens? Walk closer
Want an expensive wide angle lens? Back off
Want a DSLR with stabilization control? Put your current camera on a tripod

I give you this advice at no charge as some examples of my wisdom. Anything more costs $$$$$$

Maimonides

peeter97 Basic MemberTue 14-Nov-06 03:21 AM
#22. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 9

Hi, D50 is amazing, I have it 2 months and don't regret. Only thing - weather - here in my country also. Although I got some nice pictures in september/october. Enjoy your camera.

Deba Registered since 16th Jul 2006Sun 16-Jul-06 09:24 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 0

IN

Thanks for the warm welcome. I,m an old Nikon user with FE II, F3 and F 301. Decided to have a taste of the digital world and opted for D50 to start with. Have my extended hand to shake- see you-
Deba

SimonShoot Registered since 10th Sep 2006Mon 11-Sep-06 04:49 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 17

GB

Hi Guys,

Just saying hello here too, as I have a D50. I started with a Minolta x300 many years ago, and more recently my last digital camera was a HP850, finally took the DSLR step last Christmas. Managed to get over 13,000 images so far, but there were a lot of test shots in there.

I've even had some printed out

Regards Simon

bill stewardson Registered since 30th Sep 2006Sat 30-Sep-06 06:34 PM
#20. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 19

hello to all,,,,,i bought a D50 today,am new to this stuff,,hope you will all bear with me,,,i may ask you some rather stupid questions,,,,from Sheffield England,,,,,goodbye for now

peeter97 Basic MemberTue 14-Nov-06 03:23 AM
#23. "RE: Welcome"
In response to Reply # 17

F50, F80 (still have) and now D50 - only Nikon, there's nothing better for me.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.