Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #9751
View in linear mode

Subject: "bad files" Previous topic | Next topic
randywebb Registered since 06th Jun 2004Fri 02-Feb-07 11:42 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"bad files"

I recently uploaded 33 files (combined jpg & nef; 33 of each) onto my computer. Starting at about # 17, none of the images can be read! I checked and they have about the right size files (i.e. not 0 length files). I tried Picture Project Import, IrfanView, the MS reader for NEF files and some other programs.

Can anyone help me recover or read or translate these files? They are important ones of a rare bird that cannot be repeated.

I hope the Nikon D-80 camera didn't make them completely worthless -- this is the worst thing about Nikon's digital cameras.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: bad files
sillyconguru
03rd Feb 2007
randywebb
03rd Feb 2007
meohman1 Silver Member
03rd Feb 2007
kbradbury
03rd Feb 2007
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
03rd Feb 2007
jlechtm
03rd Feb 2007
randywebb
03rd Feb 2007
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
04th Feb 2007
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
04th Feb 2007
LarryBoy
05th Feb 2007
bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources
04th Feb 2007
randywebb
04th Feb 2007
04th Feb 2007
randywebb
04th Feb 2007
04th Feb 2007
cafields
04th Feb 2007
STAN__LEE Silver Member Donor Ribbon Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Feb 2007
04th Feb 2007
STAN__LEE Silver Member Donor Ribbon Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
05th Feb 2007
04th Feb 2007

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Sat 03-Feb-07 01:03 AM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

Don't necessarily blame the camera, it could be a duff memory card. I had to use recovery software (RescuePRO) the other day, but it came with the purchase of a memory card (Sandisk Extreme) so I don't think it's freely available.

randywebb Registered since 06th Jun 2004Sat 03-Feb-07 01:34 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 1

I spoke to Nikon tech. support. They of course blamed everything else except the camera.

However, I did a recover on the card and the files are STILL bad. So it is NOT the computer, or the interface, or the card reader or the software.

This is really the worst thing about Nikon's digital cameras -- they are not trustworthy.

I've had similar problems with a D70S and with various other cards on the D70S.

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2007Sat 03-Feb-07 03:52 AM
506 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 2

Luling, US

>I spoke to Nikon tech. support. They of course blamed
>everything else except the camera.
>
>However, I did a recover on the card and the files are STILL
>bad. So it is NOT the computer, or the interface, or the
>card reader or the software.
>
>This is really the worst thing about Nikon's digital cameras
>-- they are not trustworthy.
>
>I've had similar problems with a D70S and with various other
>cards on the D70S.

I have been using the D80 since very early November. I have 2 SanDisk Ultra II 2.0 GB cards. I have shot on both cards. I have deleted in camera, and I have never had a problem. I have deleted with the camera connected to a PC, and never had a problem.

Mike

Mike

Photography by Mike - My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kbradbury Registered since 20th Nov 2004Sat 03-Feb-07 06:05 AM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 2

Ann Arbor, US

> This is really the worst thing about Nikon's digital cameras --
> they are not trustworthy.
>
> I've had similar problems with a D70S and with various other cards
> on the D70S.

Is this really a documented problem with Nikon digital cameras? I have not heard of any such systemic issue with the product line or even one specific model. Of course, I am no expert on the product line, but I would be interested to know your references because you mention it as though it is a commonly documented issue.

Unless you have reason to think it's the camera, I would actually tend to assume it's the cards based solely on what you've told us. What brand cards do you use? How many and what percentage of your cards have demonstrated the problem? Did you buy them new from a major retailer? Have you experienced the problem using freshly formatted (in-camera) SanDisk Ultra II or SanDisk Extreme III cards? I mention SanDisk because I personally buy only SanDisk cards for all my devices and have not had a problem. Also, SanDisk cards are generally very highly regarded.

-Kevin

-Kevin

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 03-Feb-07 05:03 PM
11680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

>>>This is really the worst thing about Nikon's digital cameras -- they are not trustworthy.<<<

8000+ shots in 5 months from my D80 using SanDisk Ultra II with zero corrupted image files or any other problems for that matter. Never had any problems with the D50 I had before either.

Seems quite reliable to me.

Sounds like you have bad memory cards to me.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014[/font

jlechtm Registered since 31st Oct 2006Sat 03-Feb-07 07:55 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 5

McLean, US

I've had the same (or a similar) problem with my D80, using two different cards. Both were new -- one a Sandisk Ultra II 2G, the other a Samsung 4G.

I can take a number of photos and then the files are corrupt. For a brief time, they will appear correctly in the playback monitor, but will be corrupt upon later review or download. After some time even the playback monitor stops working (error message appears about the files not being in image format).

Sinced I've tried this with two new cards, I'm thinking the camera is the culprit. I have a 512MB card (came with the camera kit) that I've used repeatedly without problem.

Perhaps some D80s have difficulty with larger card sizes?

My next step is Nikon Technical Support as well.

randywebb Registered since 06th Jun 2004Sat 03-Feb-07 11:09 PM
#7. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 6

I use SanDisk cards -- I am not stoopid enough to buy off-brand lenses or cards....

jlechtm -- that is EXACTLY what happened with my D80. I asked (nicely) the tech support guy to relay my concerns up the line. I also mentioned my D70 problems, and my long experience and loyalty to Nikon (40 years; > $10,000 worth of glass, and probably a dozen bodies in that time -- still have my F3 and FM...). Anything you tell them re being agood customer will help. Feel free to mention my experiences.

I take umbrage at the "is this a documented problem" comment. A completely destructive glitch at low statistical occurrence is no fun at all if it happens to you. Many people make their livings with Nikon -- it isn't just for snapshots of your cat, nor is it priced that way. Moreover, Nikon is used by scientists and medical clinicians -- if you lose a shot you may destroy years worth of research (think moon missions - some used Hassy, others Nikon); or maybe fail to properly diagnose a patient.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 04-Feb-07 12:37 AM
11680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 7

Lowden, US

>>>I take umbrage at the "is this a documented problem" comment. A completely destructive glitch at low statistical occurrence is no fun at all if it happens to you.<<<

Of course people would not make such statements if you didn’t get nasty and make unfounded generalizations in your posts. It is all about attitude.

It is no surprise that Nikon and anyone else that you bring this problem to are going to look for the most likely culprit. Electronic media such as hard drives and memory cards do fail more often than the device creating the data.

You may just have a “destructive glitch at low statistical occurrence.”

To check your memory cards run scan disk or some other disk utility to check for bad sectors. Also load the cards with data (MP3 files, images…) and see if any of that data is corrupt. Try the cards in other devices.

After the cards check out good get back on the phone with Nikon and tell them all that you did to eliminate the card / computer / software as the problem. I know your mad but try not to show your displeasure with during the phone call it will not help and will just make the person your talking to not care so much about your problem.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014[/font

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 04-Feb-07 10:31 AM
29229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, UK

>I take umbrage at the "is this a documented problem"
>comment. A completely destructive glitch at low statistical
>occurrence is no fun at all if it happens to you.

No, such a problem is definitely no fun. I suspect it was your choice of words such as "This is really the worst thing about Nikon's digital cameras -- they are not trustworthy" that led to the type of response you attracted. Generalising from an occasional glitch into an assertion that Nikon products are unreliable - especially when you do not know for sure that the camera is at fault - is unjustified and likely to be seen as provocative.

I hope we'll be able to help you identify the actual cause of the problem - Bill's kind offer in reply #9 would be a good first step

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

LarryBoy Registered since 06th Dec 2006Mon 05-Feb-07 03:31 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 7

US

SanDisk is certainly a reliable brand. However, there seem to be plenty of "counterfeit" cards out there and if you don't purchase your cards from a reliable authorized dealer, you may be using some of these cards which should be considered less reliable then "real" SanDisk cards. And if that is the case, this may be why you're experiencing the problem with more than one camera body.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sun 04-Feb-07 05:22 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Randy,

Please feel free to e-mail me a damaged NEF file.
If it is over about 10Mb then you will need to use something like www.yousendit.com
My e-mail is at the bottom of the web site in my signature.

Good luck!
Bill

Visit me at My site

randywebb Registered since 06th Jun 2004Sun 04-Feb-07 06:49 PM
#11. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 9

First, thank you for the offer to inspect the files. Unfortunately for the detective work, they have been deleted and are not in the trash can anymore. We'll see what happens next time (tho I am now doing rather laborious routine of formatting the cards in both computer and then cameras EACH & EVERY TIME they are downloaded)

Second, I don't see how criticizing the manf. of a supposed pro camera (or semi-pro) constitutes getting "nasty." If Nikon wants to beat Canon for this market, it needs to address such problems.

I said it before - these type of issues have happened to me several times in 2 different bodies and with different cards. That makes it more likely than the way some comments above have mischaracterized it.

I consider total image failure to be a serious matter -- much more so than noise problems for long exposures, over-exposures, etc.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sun 04-Feb-07 07:00 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 11

Randy,

several times in 2 different bodies and with different cards.

Then is all liklihood it is the CF card reader.
There have been reports of problems like this with particular readers.

FWIW, I never format my cards in either the camera or on the computer.

Good luck!
Bill

Visit me at My site

randywebb Registered since 06th Jun 2004Sun 04-Feb-07 08:44 PM
#13. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 12

Given that "I did a recover on the card and the files are STILL
>bad...."

- how can it be the car reader? Also, IIRC, I plugged the SD card into a USB port directly and had the same problem - can't recall for sure now (it is the type that flips or hinges to gie you a USB flash memory car, tho I haven't yet used it for such).

So if the files on the SD card itself were bad, I don't see how the card reader, computer, etc. can be at fault. IT would have to be the camera or the card itself, wouldn't it?

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sun 04-Feb-07 09:11 PM
#15. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 13

Randy,

Sorry, I missed that, but it's still unclear with multiple bodies, cards, read methods, what problem occurred.

Bill

Visit me at My site

cafields Registered since 26th Sep 2006Sun 04-Feb-07 10:21 PM
128 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 13

US

A few thoughts:

Try formatting the card in the camera only (not the computer), then after taking your pictures, use the USB cable that came with the camera to connect to your computer. Be sure the camera is set for PC communication, and download the files directly. This will eliminate an external card reader as a suspect. After downloading, instead of deleting the old files from the SD card through Windows, simply reformat the card in the camera after disconnecting from the computer (most of the time it's faster).

I use this procedure with with the D80 for all of my various SD cards including my spares which are off-brand freebies (after rebate) and have never had a problem with any of them, including an Ultra 4gb SDHC card.

Also, when the camera is connected to the computer, you can run scandisk or most other disk diagnostics while the card is still in the camera.

If it bombs using the above procedures and with more than one card, I'd send the body AND the card to Nikon. If only one card bombs, then that card would go in the round file cabinet.

Good luck,

C.A. Fields

http://www.cafields.com

C. A. Fields

http://www.cafields.com

STAN__LEE Silver Member Donor Ribbon Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSun 04-Feb-07 08:51 PM
6703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 12

ROSEVILLE, US

Bill, being basically computer/digital illiterate and curious, for my education what or how do you format your cards? (I thought the computer and/or the camera were the only ways possible.) Thanks. stan

Stan Miller
A Roseville, CA Nikonian

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sun 04-Feb-07 09:12 PM
#16. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 14

Stan,

Sorry if it wasn't clear that I don't format my cards, at all.

Bill

Visit me at My site

STAN__LEE Silver Member Donor Ribbon Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberMon 05-Feb-07 01:29 PM
6703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 16

ROSEVILLE, US

Thanks Bill. stan

Stan Miller
A Roseville, CA Nikonian

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 04-Feb-07 10:33 PM
#18. "RE: bad files"
In response to Reply # 11

Lowden, US

>> Second, I don't see how criticizing the manf. of a supposed pro camera (or semi-pro) constitutes getting "nasty."

You didn’t just criticize the manufacture you made a brad generalization that the equipment is inherently “not trustworthy”. You have some odd problems therefore the equipment must be bad across the board. You should know that is just BS. Then you get an attitude with anyone who offers a possible cause if they don’t agree with your notion that the camera must be the problem.

>> happened to me several times in 2 different bodies and with different cards.

So you have a rare (if the problem is in the body) “destructive glitch at low statistical occurrence” not only once but on several cards and 2 bodies. The common element here seems to be the user.

>>I consider total image failure to be a serious matter

And you should but nothing is 100% reliable. Images taken on silde/film can just as easily be lost do to equipment or human error. Digital is no less reliable than film each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Have you even taken the time to test the cards with other files and on other devices? If you want Nikon to be responsive you need to troubleshoot and eliminate everything but the camera. Document your testing THEN contact Nikon about sending the camera/s in for service.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #9751 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.