Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #95542
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales" Previous topic | Next topic
sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 02:51 PM
849 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"

Santa Fe, US

I believe that at $1699 US ESP, the D200 will put a serious crimp in D70s sales.

The D50 is targeted at a different audience, and I think will not be particularly affected. But the D70/D70s has been attractive to those of us who have some knowledge of photography and wanted to move into a capable DSLR, but could not afford the pro versions from Nikon or Canon.

This seems to me to be an exact description of those who will want the D200.

It seems Nikon is in an interesting place. They have what by most accounts is a really nice entry-level DSLR in the D50. They now have a killer moderately-priced almost (? - perhaps more than 'almost') pro DSLR in the D200. What isn't clear to me is where the D70s now fits.

So my question: If the D200 had been an option when you bought your D70/D70s, would you have stretched a bit more and purchased the D200 instead? I can say for myself that the answer is definitely 'yes'.

SantaFeBill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales
Ned_L Moderator
01st Nov 2005
edmun
01st Nov 2005
jku
01st Nov 2005
GrahamS
01st Nov 2005
wailingtoad
01st Nov 2005
Veggy01
01st Nov 2005
Covey22 Moderator
01st Nov 2005
dclarhorn Moderator
01st Nov 2005
AndrewFromCanada Silver Member
01st Nov 2005
Quack
01st Nov 2005
sonuj2
01st Nov 2005
Rebel
01st Nov 2005
rayonline
01st Nov 2005
Equis25
01st Nov 2005
Gooddog
01st Nov 2005
BJNicholls Gold Member
01st Nov 2005
Quack
01st Nov 2005
quidneck Gold Member
01st Nov 2005
Stan160
01st Nov 2005
mislam
01st Nov 2005
slowry88 Silver Member
01st Nov 2005
m_alley Silver Member
01st Nov 2005
BJNicholls Gold Member
02nd Nov 2005
slowry88 Silver Member
02nd Nov 2005
dwayner
02nd Nov 2005
leebaylin Silver Member
01st Nov 2005
robesse
02nd Nov 2005
drichi
02nd Nov 2005
wjholtjr
02nd Nov 2005
photoswimmer
02nd Nov 2005
RAG
02nd Nov 2005
edmun
02nd Nov 2005
bigcat
02nd Nov 2005
jku
02nd Nov 2005
RWCooper
02nd Nov 2005
jando
02nd Nov 2005
Meprst
02nd Nov 2005
JohnnyK
03rd Nov 2005
drichi
03rd Nov 2005
JohnnyK
03rd Nov 2005
doogienj
03rd Nov 2005
Nabil_2004
06th Nov 2005
jeanneblum
21st Nov 2005

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 01-Nov-05 03:15 PM
6568 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Hi,

I think you raise an excellent question. There's no doubt about it, I would have purchased the D200.

Ned
-----------------------------
There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.
Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 01-Nov-05 03:25 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

I think they will drop the D70 price and also the D50. It will not affect sales too much. $700 is still a big price gap. It is almost double.

The people who are streached to buy the D50 but buy the D70 will not have the money to get the D200.

Also a lot of them do not need the D200 as they never go bigger than 4x6 or their monitor.

ledmun

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 03:24 PM
1550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I would hope that by then the D70s (or whatever) will be at a knock down price! If the D200 is another DX, it will mean absolutely nothing to me. I will pick up an extra D70s instead.

john

GrahamS Registered since 31st Oct 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 03:35 PM
89 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Edinburgh, GB

No I wouldn't have stretched to the D200.
At £750 (GBP) the D70s was a stretch as it was. No way I could have justified spending more on what is basically just a distracting hobby for me.

wailingtoad Registered since 28th Oct 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 03:37 PM
1202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Personally, looking at the D200 specs, I would guess that the D200 will impact D2x sales more than D70s sales.

Although, perhaps Nikons ultimate strategy is to eliminate the D70s from their lineup

D50 - low end DSLR
D200 - midrange DSLR
D2x - High end DSLR

Jon

Jon Davis
My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery
My Epson R2880 Tips & Tricks blog

Veggy01 Registered since 14th Jan 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 04:09 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

IMHO set categories like these may be less important than image and performance. When new the D70 was Nikon's entry level DSLR but it's unexpectedly outstanding performance made it respectable kit for semi-pros and those who liked to think they were, and also an OK second body for some pros, and those who think they would be if they could just get round to it.

In the same way, if the D200 turns out to be just OK it might tamely occupy a advanced amateur niche between the D70 and the big guns and the D70 will maintain its position for a while.

OTOH if the D200 really is the poor man's D2x, at its price point most amateurs will sell the family silver to buy one and the D70 will fade, leaving the pure entry level D50 to dominate that end of the market.

John
Nostalgia's not what it used to be

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 01-Nov-05 04:54 PM
10562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I don't see the removal of the D70 from the line up. The D50 is *very* entry-level, and serves an entirely different market segment than the D70. In fact, given the slowdown of digital sales (because cumulatively, digicam saturation has already occurred in places like Japan and is rapidly being followed by Europe and Americas), it's in Nikon's best interests to push as many sales as possible on second DSLR bodies. *Any* DSLR bodies. They've already achieved manufacturing savings by consolidating down to two production lines and streamlining commonality between their products. It's not costing them much more to maintain four different products since there's so much in common between them from a parts and assembly perspective. So the D70 will serve a purpose as both an amateur/enthusiast body and a potential primary/secondary body depending on where you are in the photography skill tree.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Tue 01-Nov-05 04:47 PM
14160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

Hmmm, seems to me this is just part of the natural cycle of a product. The price on the D70 will probably go down a bit and it fits in nicely between the D50 and the D200. As someone else said, hundreds of dollars is still a significant amount to many people.

Dan L.
http://larussoweb.com

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

AndrewFromCanada Silver Member Charter MemberTue 01-Nov-05 05:05 PM
1313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 7

Victoria, CA

Expect a small flood of used D70s for sale as those people (myself included) that want more in a camera but couldn't afford the D2X dump the D70s in favour of a D200.

I know my almost new D70s will be for sale in December....

Quack Registered since 19th Dec 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 07:40 PM
172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>
>Expect a small flood of used D70s for sale as those people
>(myself included) that want more in a camera but couldn't
>afford the D2X dump the D70s in favour of a D200.
>
>I know my almost new D70s will be for sale in December....

i have 2 friends lined up to buy my D70 once the D200 is available

sonuj2 Registered since 25th Oct 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 05:13 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Looks like the end of Nov. early December would be a great time to pick up an additional/first D70/D70s body at a very good price as I anticipate a lot of D70 owners moving over to the D200. I am going to tide over the initial rush for the D200 and also let Nikon fix the usual dose of bugs (if any) that one has come to accept with any new product. I am just a hobbyist so for me the best time to get a D200 would be around December 2006 when the prices stabilize and we find out exactly how good the camera is.

SJ

SJ

Rebel Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 06:39 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 10

London, GB

Don't know if the D200 will affect D70 sales but it might cause those of us with D70's who are addicted to digital photography to want to upgrade.

I know I'm going to be sorely tempted over the next few months by the D200 and I may well end up buying one (but I may well keep my D70 as a backup).

Maybe I'll sell my film cameras to help pay for it

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter" - Ansel Adams

rayonline Registered since 22nd Jul 2003Tue 01-Nov-05 08:53 PM
1220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 10

NZ

Nope. For me I keep my D70 or continue to buy it and then get a D2x.

The D200 is not a pro body, the viewfinder is not round. Builtin flash. It is a good featured mid range SLR.

The D200 is around 2x the cost of the D70 by the way .....

D2x will be my next cam after the FM2n, I want the mother ship The big mumma heavy cam, no rectangle VF, no optional base. Well ok, I would get it used.

Equis25 Registered since 02nd Jan 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 06:39 PM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Utica, US

To answer yr question, if the D200 had been around for a year, when I bought my first D70 in 11/04, I would have bought the D200. However, D200 was barely being mentioned and I wanted a camera at that time.

After reading some specs and reviews, I am utterly surprised that the msrp is set at $1699.00, but then again I have no access to their marketing data. From the outside, it looks like this pricing has the potential to cannibalize D70s <as well as Dx2> sales to the non-pro in the USA. Pricing points in other countries may cause entirely different results.

Nikon USA has been playing with rebates on various products and they may use that as a tool to steer the direction for things to go with the D70s. Few of us know what the margin is on these cameras...

HERMAN

Gooddog Registered since 31st Mar 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 07:38 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

In a feature-per-dollar contest, I don't think the D70 would fare all that badly even with the new D200 introduction. I think the D70 has enough extra features to be significantly better than the D50 and lacks enough to justify the price jump (about double) to the D200.
If it weren't for the crummy D70 viewfinder, I would definitely pick the D70 over the D200 if I were buying today. The D70 is really pretty good and substantially cheaper than the D200.
As it sits, the D70 is mostly good enough for my needs. If the high ISO performance of the D200 turns out to be lots better than the D70 and the autofocus is lots faster and there is a dynamic range improvement and the viewfinder is as good as the brochure claims then I might be looking to get one in May or so.
If I were a full time pro, I might be able to justify the purchase just based on the extra prestige. Then again, I might have to get a D2X.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 01-Nov-05 07:55 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

I don't think the D200 will affect D70s sales very much.

Double the price is a pretty big "stretch", and the D70s with the kit lens gets you an even better value.

I'm getting a D200 and I'll keep my D70. If I had neither camera, I'd get the D200 and buy a D70s for my backup.

There are a lot of D70 owners like me who have been waiting for a long time for the D200. Some may sell the D70 to finance the move, and some more used bodies will be out in the world. But I think most DSLR buyers like to buy new, warranteed bodies and I don't think the used market will hurt D70s sales much.

Plus Nikon can offer rebates and other pricing adjustments to keep the D70s very attractive.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Quack Registered since 19th Dec 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 08:15 PM
172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

US

one also has to think that there is a pretty big price difference between the D70s ($899) vs. the D200 ($1699) for just the body.

quidneck Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 08:26 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

York Harbor, US

I don't believe Nikon would be concerned at all if the D200 impacted their D70 sales, after all it is a higher margin product which will mean more to their bottom line. Now if it should impact their D2X sales, that is a different matter...

www.robertcharlestaylor.com

Stan160 Registered since 28th Oct 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 09:40 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Aldershot, GB

It would have been too much of a stretch for me. I bought my D70+kit lense for £690 in July. Since spent another ~£700 on lenses, but can't afford/justify any more until the new year at the earliest. Yes, there are features of the D200 that I would use and are absent or limited on the D70, but even if the D200 had been available back in July it would have used all of my camera plus additional lenses budget just to buy body and kit lense.

I'm more concerned about building a collection of good, fast, glass, as I learn what I need. I can always wait and buy a D200 in 2/3 years time when it's discounted ahead of the D300 launch!.

Ian

mislam Basic MemberTue 01-Nov-05 10:11 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose,

yes, I think I would had bought D200 instead of D70(s). D200 seems to be much more capable and close to D2X. Atleast according to the DPreview article.

http://chatter.mirislam.com/

slowry88 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th May 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 11:09 PM
303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 20

Walnut Creek, US

Has anyone really done a side-by-side against the D70? I know that Nikonians has it posted: (http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/body/chart/nikon_dslr_chart.html)

Here are my observations:
- Autofocus system seems to be almost identical (v. disappointing)
- Same crop factor (expected)
- 28.7% more pixels (only a plus if you are cropping the heck out of an incredibly clear image and then enlarging it)
- Looks like a huge improvement in the viewfinder (big plus)
- ISO is now a min of 100 (plus)
- Can set/tweek the white balance (plus only in jpeg)
- fps is about the same (I think it improved from 3 -> 5)
- vertical grip (plus only for people who use it)
- bigger LCD on back (small plus?)
- everything else is about the same

So based on this, how are my pictures going to improve? For the record, I'd love to see the big, new viewfinder, as that was the biggest disappointment in moving from film to digital - and that alone has me itching to at least try if not buy.

Comments?

SF D70 User

- Scott
D2Hs/D80/D70(IR)/2 Models who won't pose for me

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

m_alley Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Feb 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 11:26 PM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#23. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 21

Indianapolis, US

Would I have bought the D200 vs the D70 - absolutely! But the price comparison is a little off. I paid $1299 for one of the first D70 kits to hit the steet. To say would I pay $400 more for the D200 the answer is absolutely! But the price difference is more in today's dollars.

The D200 sounds like it fixes the joke of a viewfinder on the D70. Can't tell yet if if increases the information (like if you are in Aperature or Shutter priority and your metering mode) in the view finder.

The D70 also forced you to set continuous focus through the menu, versus the switch on the front, with the D200 has.

I was forced back to using my F/N80 while the D70 was in for BGLOD, and I realized how handicaped we are with the D70. Absolutely I would rather spend the extra money, skip the DX lens that I can use only on my D70, and get the D200.

Next summer, after a few bodies get out the door and I can hopefully avoid another defect in the early run of a digital camera, I will be ugrading.

just my 2 cents worth listening NIKON???

Mike Alley
Indianapolis, Indiana USA

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 02-Nov-05 12:30 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"

Salt Lake City, US

-11 AF points is identical to 5? The D200 also has a new group dynamic AF mode.

-Instead of cropping you can go straight into making 29.7% larger prints. And that's assuming the image quality isn't any better than the D70's.

-5 fps is 60% faster than 3 fps. And the D200 delivers 37 frames at 5 fps compared to the D70's 17 frames at 3 fps.

-The LCD is bigger, the rendering of information is better, and there's an RGB histogram option.

-I think it's safe to say that shooting at 1/4000 and 1/8000 won't produce plaid artifacts as it can with the D70's electronic shuttering.

-The flash can be used as a modeling light while using DOF preview.

-Mirror lockup has been something I've wanted for sharper landscapes (especially tele landscapes) for a long time.

-Uncompressed nef option.

-Gasketed body, Intervalometer, AI lens support, wireless option, 10 pin connector, PC sync connector, GPS support

-Plus the plusses you mentioned. ISO 100 is very welcome. The finder is great (wish it was 100%). A real Nikon grip with controls and battery capacity for the price of the junk third parties sell grips for the D70. More image controls for those who shoot jpeg (not big to me but most folks shoot jpeg). Out of camera black and white (again not for me but a feature that's often requested).

Don't get me wrong. I'm getting a D200 and keeping my D70. The D70 is a great camera. But the D200 is just as good a bargain at its $1700 body price.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

slowry88 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th May 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 04:35 PM
303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 24

Walnut Creek, US

Thanks for the clarification on the new autofocus system. I was looking at the fact that it is a CAM-1000 (vs 900 for the D70; vs 2000 for the D2x). I'm very interested in how this improves the AF over the D70. The mirror lock-up will also be very nice.

All of your other points are well taken. This may be my second body.... my wife is going to kill me!

"Hey kids, I can't afford to send you to college, but I got some great pics of your HS graduation."

SF D70 User

- Scott
D2Hs/D80/D70(IR)/2 Models who won't pose for me

dwayner Registered since 15th Jan 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 04:44 AM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"

Calgary, CA

"How will the pictures improve??"

It has a different sensor and filter than the D70. Matrix II system??

Why would AF be the almost the same?? It is improved with more points?? (We can only assume at this point that this will make a difference.

I am sure they both will take great pictures.

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberTue 01-Nov-05 11:18 PM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Baltimore, US

At the time (April 2004) the D70 was a stretch, so I would not have bought the D200 if it had been available. But if just the D50 and D200 were available, I would still be shooting film. I would not have bought the D50 for the same reason I didn't buy the original digital Rebel. It just doesn't cut it. With my youngest graduating from college next June, the story may be different. The price of a D200 is less than two weeks tuition at a private university in the States. So, with no more tuition bills to pay, I may just be shooting graduation with a new D200

Lee Baylin

robesse Basic MemberWed 02-Nov-05 12:51 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Chico, US

If I had had that kind of dough when I bought my D70 I would have bought the Fujifilm S2 Pro. I might still if I did today.

The D50 will frustrate the serious shooter and at $1,850 body-only the D200 is out of the price range for many enthusiasts so the D70 will continue to have a market. Especially so if the very good 18-70 DX lens is still thrown in for a kit under $1,500.

The D100 is the body that is now out of place and it really has been since the D70 came along.

-- Rob S

drichi Basic MemberWed 02-Nov-05 02:09 AM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

GW

At the list price, I doubt I would have bought the 200 over the D70s. List prices are very common in Japan, although you may get a slight discount. In August I bought my D70s for $1218, (apx 134,000 yen) Prices don't vary much between shops---they are more or less set by the manufacturer, so list is about what you have to pay. Frankly, there is not enough of an advantage to the D200 for me to have paid what will be about 200,000 yen based on the US price ($100 for a good flash card + lenses and accesories I bought since the D70 was my first DSLR. I mainly went with the D70 over the D50 due to the kit lense and the DOF preview feature. I wouldn't have jumped to the D200 for any of its features so far.)

Won't trade my D70 in either. It will still be just as good of a camera, still take photos as well as it could before the D200 and it isn't obsolete. I won't get into the bi-annual cycle of buying a new camera every time a newer model is released unless there is some huge advantage to it. Since I do this as a hobby, I can't imagine what that would be unless it could tell me how to make each and every photo a great work of art.

wjholtjr Registered since 12th Aug 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 02:51 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 26

Chattanooga, US

There is no doubt that the D200 has more desirable features than the D70 and quite a number of our collective "wish list" items are incorporated. That is part of the advance in technology.

The D70 is still the same camera is was yesterday before the announcment. It still captures great images and gives me ability to do far more than ever before.

The original poster's question is tough to answer. I scrapped working side jobs to get the D70. Another $700 would have been really hard to come up with and by the time I got it, we'd have been answering the question about the D300.

This cycle will never end. Let's be happy with what we've got. If we're blessed to come up with the cash for a D200, and there isn't a better use in our life for $1700, get it.

Bill
WA4OTL
Chattanooga, TN

Bill
WA4OTL
Chattanooga, TN

photoswimmer Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 03:41 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 27

>There is no doubt that the D200 has more desirable features
>than the D70 and quite a number of our collective "wish
>list" items are incorporated. That is part of the advance in
>technology.
>
>The D70 is still the same camera is was yesterday before the
>announcment. It still captures great images and gives me
>ability to do far more than ever before.
>
>The original poster's question is tough to answer. I
>scrapped working side jobs to get the D70. Another $700
>would have been really hard to come up with and by the time
>I got it, we'd have been answering the question about the
>D300.
>
>This cycle will never end. Let's be happy with what we've
>got. If we're blessed to come up with the cash for a D200,
>and there isn't a better use in our life for $1700, get it.
>
>
>Bill
>WA4OTL
>Chattanooga, TN

Right on Bill, I figure by the time my D70 skills get to the level of these guys D70 shots its time to explore maybe the next model up

http://www.pbase.com/cloudswimmer/image/51671842

http://www.pbase.com/cloudswimmer/image/51672529

http://www.pbase.com/cloudswimmer/image/51671869

RAG Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 03:16 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I would get the D200 in a flash, but then again the D70s I have now fits the way I shoot and more. Maybe, when I polished my shooting knowledge and learn more about the digital stuff I get the D200. But for now my D70s takes beautiful pictures of my two year old and I'm sticking with it.

Randy

Randy

My Gallery

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 02-Nov-05 06:47 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 28

eugene, US

The D200 will increase the D70 sales not take them away.

Now a person choosing between Nikon and any thing else can say'"I can not afford a D2x and I do not need a D200 but I know if I need one I can afford it. I know Nikon has affordable pro level bodies so I will choose to stay (or start) with Nikon.

I will buy a D70 for now and if I need more I will get a D200 later but for now I will get some good glass and a flash.

I think Nikon needs a faster recycling SB 800 type flash. This is the biggest weak point that I can see.

ledmun

bigcat Basic MemberWed 02-Nov-05 09:17 AM
696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 31

Paignton,

I hope this post is not too far off track but I have been thinking about upgrading as well. I take Wildlife photos and sell successfully to an agent but have never been lucky to get publishers to take notice of me as an individual. I still wonder if it is the 'D70' that puts them off, the pictures are fine, it could just be snobbery on the publishers / editors part. I have put a deposit on a pro-lens to buy this month and now wonder if I should use that money for a D200 known as a Semi-pro camera, can't afford both. I did think of a second hand D1X at £1199 and mint, cheaper than the D200 but the battery problems members talk about and weight worry me. I think that the D70 will still stand out as the best of it kind in it's range, I love it.

bigcat

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 01:23 PM
1550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

The suggested retail price of the D200 is more than double what I paid for my D70 so the answer to your question is NO, I will not stretch my budget to buy the D200.

I think the D70s will still be as popular. One might regard it as an entry level D50 with extras. The D200 I believe, is more in the D2X class. One might regard the D200 as a poor man's D2X. We all want better and better DSLRs but most of us have to draw a line somewhere. I am not a pro so the D70 is more than enough for my needs. However, if one day I become a pro or semi-pro, I would consider buying the D200 or D2X but still keeping my D70 as a backup.

BTW, I wonder where I could buy a D200 badge to replace my D70 badge.. (just kidding!)

john

RWCooper Registered since 04th Jul 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 05:13 PM
976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

Yes I would have bought the D200. Having used F4s for many years I find the D70 somewhat frustrating to use. The dim view through the viewfinder, no mirror lockup, no metering with AI lenses, having to go to the menus to change settings that should be directly accessable on the body, no ISO 100, no cable release, no ability to use cheap AA batteries when away from a power source for an extended period of time, no weather sealing, no lock on the diopter setting, etc. made me long for something like the D200 (the D2X is out of my price range). You can probably guess that I've already ordered a D200.

Having said all this I am quite pleased with the quality of the images I am able to produce with the D70. I doubt that I will keep the D70 as a long term backup to the D200 though. It served its purpose as an introduction to digital photography and convinced me that I want to go totally with digital and sell my film bodies.

As for the D70 I think there are lots of people who will just love the camera and find it meets their needs (my wife for example).

Randy

jando Registered since 23rd Aug 2002Wed 02-Nov-05 08:13 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 35

baldwin, US

hi
i think that alot of people will gobble up the d200. sounds like a great camera but it sounds like they crippled the autofocus system by making it cam1000 instead of cam2000. the difference is 1000 ccd elements and it will slow the autofocus significantly over the d2x d2h d2hs. i use both the d70 and d2h and both are great cameras but the d2h blows away the cam900 on the d70 with the same lens and lighting and subject matter. for portraits and general pics the d70 is quite awesome. for kids and sports d2h with cam2000 wins hands down. that said if nikon had put the cam2000 on the d200 i think sales of the d2x would have really suffered. for the $800 difference between the d200 and d70 you can buy some really nice glass that will not depreciate like a digital body in 1 or 2 years. so go for the glass and let the prices on the new body settle down.

view my attempts @ www.pbase.com/jando

Meprst Registered since 30th Oct 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 08:04 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

IL

Hello,
For 700-800$ (the price differens) you can buy a good lens that IMHO is more inportant (from image quality aspect) than to upgrade to D200.
I think also that it would be wise to wate at least several months to se if D200 is realy what Nikon says it is

JohnnyK Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 12:26 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Sand Springs, US

>I believe that at $1699 US ESP, the D200 will put a serious
>crimp in D70s sales.
>
>The D50 is targeted at a different audience, and I think
>will not be particularly affected. But the D70/D70s has been
>attractive to those of us who have some knowledge of
>photography and wanted to move into a capable DSLR, but
>could not afford the pro versions from Nikon or Canon.
>
>This seems to me to be an exact description of those who
>will want the D200.
>
>It seems Nikon is in an interesting place. They have what by
>most accounts is a really nice entry-level DSLR in the D50.
>They now have a killer moderately-priced almost (? - perhaps
>more than 'almost') pro DSLR in the D200. What isn't clear
>to me is where the D70s now fits.
>
>So my question: If the D200 had been an option when you
>bought your D70/D70s, would you have stretched a bit more
>and purchased the D200 instead? I can say for myself that
>the answer is definitely 'yes'.

Hi Bill..

Considering that I got my D70s plus TWO Nikkor lenses (18-70 and 55-200) for 1499.00 and the D200 BODY ONLY sells for 1699.00, I don't think Nikon has too much to worry about as regards "Lost D70s/D50 Sales". For a lot of folks (like me), it's just not in the budget to buy a 1000.00 camera and then spend another 800 or 900.00 on good glass. The kits have what you need, right out of the box.

I haven't heard what the 18-200 glass that is the "recommended" lens for the D200 is going to cost, but I would bet that Body + Lens would put a buyer in the neighborhood of at LEAST 1950.00 US. While this is still not a BAD buy, it's still a trifle cost prohibitive when you consider you can get a D70s with TWO lenses (which, combined, cover the same range) for approximately 500.00 LESS.

I like the D200 but I'm going to wait a while before I run out and buy one. The price will surely drop as Nikon starts searching for the niche to fit the new camera.

But...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

JohnnyK

"Be good and you will be lonesome". --Mark Twain

drichi Basic MemberThu 03-Nov-05 05:13 AM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 38

GW

I agree. Ken Rockwell http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200.htms says the lens (18-200VR) lists at 669.95. That plus the D200 list of 1699.95 puts the list price ($2369.90) way above that of the D70 body and lens. Of course, you could save some by just buying the 18-70 lens, but why?

I like what I see on the D200, but it simply isn't worth it to me. In 2 years when the D200.0001 comes out then perhaps if the advantages are huge, and I find that I was all wrong about the D70 (as were all of us) and its photos are no longer good, it is not still functioning, and I have money that I want to spend on another camera which will be "obsolete" in a year, then I will get that one.

It is ironic that one of the threads before the crash was concerning the lifetime of a D70 and how many shutter activations it could endure. If we run out to buy a new model every other year, that debate is pointless. I don't know, but I wonder who is really getting the biggest benefit of new cams every year---the company or the average users?

Technology is moving very quickly now, but I rarely see much of an advantage of every new improvement/version offered in any area cameras, PCs, or whatever. One of my other hobbies is cycling in which everything I buy today is "obsolete" tomorrow. However, even though it is "obsolete" I can do just as well on it as the supposedly improved stuff. Like most things, the user is of more importance to performance than the equipment.

I haven't reached the point yet where I am such a great photographer that some improvement over the D70 is going to help me. I haven't even reached the point where after nearly 30 years of 35mm SLR photography that I can get everything possible out of that.

A lot of people will feel differently and will find the improvements of the D200 worth every penny. I have no argument with them, but I don't think those improvements that important for me personally.

JohnnyK Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 02:39 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 39

Sand Springs, US

>I agree. Ken Rockwell
>http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200.htms says the lens
>(18-200VR) lists at 669.95. That plus the D200 list of
>1699.95 puts the list price ($2369.90) way above that of the
>D70 body and lens. Of course, you could save some by just
>buying the 18-70 lens, but why?
>
Great Googly Moogly!!! Almost SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS?? Let's stop and think about this for a minute...the 18-70 and the 55-200 TOGETHER cost less than 400. Admittedly, they don't have Vibration Reduction (VR) but still...!!

Given THAT price, I CERTAINLY don't expect to see sales plummet for the D70s. There's too great a price difference between the two cameras for the "serious enthusiast" (as opposed to Pro) to have trouble making a decision, I would think. Now, as a GOAL to step up to the D200 after the D70s is MASTERED might be reasonable for someone, but I would have to think long and hard about recommending the D200 to someone who was wanting to get into DSLR photography for the first time. The cost is beyond the reach of a lot of folks...including me. If the ERP of 1699.00 included a lens, even an 18-55, it would be a no brainer, but...1700.00 for the body and another 700 for the lens? Uh-uh. No way. Not yet.

If someone were to ask me which camera I would recommend as a first time DSLR buy, I'd have to tell them to flip a coin between the D50 kit and the D70s Two Lens kit and work with those for a couple of years before upgrading to the D200. Unless there is a D200 kit put out that comes in for under 2000.00, that is.

Again, that's just MY opinion, YMMV, etc.

JohnnyK

"Be good and you will be lonesome". --Mark Twain

doogienj Basic MemberThu 03-Nov-05 11:38 AM
401 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Brooklyn, US

Great post! I love my D70 and don't think there is enough differentiation to warrant the higher price for the D200.

I am keeping my D70 until they day comes when there is a digital processor that can handle an exposure latitude of 7 stops (same as film) or more. That will truly be something new and render film obsolete for good. I guess the D2X is around 5 stops. Oh, and wifi would be nice too. My two cents.

Cheers,

Douglas

Nabil_2004 Registered since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 06-Nov-05 10:46 PM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 40

Montreal, CA

I got the D70, knowing it wasn't the camera I was hoping for (the Canon 20D was more like it but, hey, I had too much invested in Nikon gear to justify jumping ship).

I feel differently about the D200 which seems to be a "mature" camera which should withstand a couple of generations of new digital cameras without showing a wrinkle.

Magnesium body, 10 Mp, AI lenses compatibility... attractive price...

In other words, had the D200 been available when I got my D70 last year, I would have definitely went for it without even looking at the Canon 20D...

I think the D200 will become a classic; sort of an F801 or an FM2.

Nabil

Visit my Nikonians Gallery at:
www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/
showgallery.php?
ppuser=16330&cat=500

jeanneblum Registered since 21st Nov 2005Mon 21-Nov-05 12:51 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Fearless Prediction about D70s Sales"
In response to Reply # 0

White Plains, US

No

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #95542 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.