nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #93027
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yet another problem with my D70..." Previous topic | Next topic
Remington   Grand Rapids, US  Registered since 02nd Nov 2005 Wed 23-Nov-05 06:40 PM
113 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yet another problem with my D70..."

Alright guys- loosing the faith here...

Sent my D70 in to Nikon to have the Green Light of Death fixed. They got the camera to me in record time... I opened the package and turned it on. It imediately brought me to the "choose language screen" which of course I selected "English". It then brought me to the "set date and time" screen, then froze... Turned it off, then on, still nothing. Reset button, nothing. Hard reset, nothing... Sent it back in to Nikon again...

To Nikon's credit, each time I had to call now I have gotten a live person within 20 seconds of calling. A live person that could speak English, and actually knew what I was saying. Also, when I recieved the camera after having the GLOD fixed, I was shocked to see how well they cleaned it, inside and out. Barely recognised it... Looked brand new. Further, they emailed me a shipping label this time around to save me the shipping costs. They really seem to be making an effort here, but like I told the rep on the phone- I would rather have my camera dirty and working, than clean and broke...

So, any ideas what this new problem could be?

Ryan Velting

Visit My Gallery: www.velting.net

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yet another problem with my D70... Equis25
23rd Nov 2005
Reply message RE: Yet another problem with my D70... Remington
23rd Nov 2005
     Reply message RE: Yet another problem with my D70... hwdx347
23rd Nov 2005
24th Nov 2005
26th Nov 2005
27th Nov 2005
Reply message RE: Yet another problem with my D70... Butchdog
24th Nov 2005
Reply message RE: Yet another problem with my D70... cgaengineer
24th Nov 2005
26th Nov 2005
Reply message RE: Yet another problem with my D70... bhola
27th Nov 2005
28th Nov 2005
     Reply message RE: Yet another problem with my D70... Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
30th Nov 2005
29th Nov 2005

Equis25   Utica, US  Registered since 02nd Jan 2005 Wed 23-Nov-05 07:01 PM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry to hear about this annoying situation. Going out on a limb here: what was the condition of the battery?

HERMAN

Remington   Grand Rapids, US  Registered since 02nd Nov 2005 Wed 23-Nov-05 07:07 PM
113 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, that first crossed my mind as well. Battery is good, and tried a different one for good measure, problem remained.

I do appreciate the input Herman!

The camera itself is a few months outside of warrenty, so my concern is that Nikon will say that the current problem is unrelated to the GLOD issue that they fixed, therefore not their responsibility. Just seems odd it would do this the very first time turning the camera on after being repaired.

Thanks again.

Ryan Velting

hwdx347   Maumelle, US  Basic Member Wed 23-Nov-05 07:55 PM
6273 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 2

>Yeah, that first crossed my mind as well. Battery is good,
>and tried a different one for good measure, problem
>remained.
>
>I do appreciate the input Herman!
>
>The camera itself is a few months outside of warrenty, so my
>concern is that Nikon will say that the current problem is
>unrelated to the GLOD issue that they fixed, therefore not
>their responsibility. Just seems odd it would do this the
>very first time turning the camera on after being repaired.
>
>Thanks again.

Nikon support tends to be very good. I bet if you point out that it did not work right after the GLOD repair that they will fix the new problem at no charge. Please keep us advised.

Hedley

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Equis25   Utica, US  Registered since 02nd Jan 2005 Thu 24-Nov-05 12:34 AM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 0

Forgot to ask if everything was completely dead or did you still see anything on the top lcd? Like e.g. the number of exposures left on the card. People more knowlegeable than me and who have taken the D70 apart can probably shed a light on this. But since you have had yr D70 for over a year, possibly the on/off switch may be defective? It seems like a not so sturdy switch to me. It easily shifts when in the bag to off or on.

HERMAN

Remington   Grand Rapids, US  Registered since 02nd Nov 2005 Sat 26-Nov-05 07:18 PM
#7. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 4

Hi Herman, thanks for your continued help.

When I turned the camera on for the first time after I received it back from repair, it turned on like normal, and showed the "set clock" on the top LCD. On the back display it allowed me to set the language, the date, then froze before I could set the time. When turned off then on, the "set clock" continued to show in the top LCD, and the rear display continued to be froze in the same spot, waiting for me to set the time, but not responding to any buttons I press.

The thought had crossed my mind that it could be the on/off switch, but since the camera was in fact turning on and off, I don't think it was the switch.

Thanks again Herman.

Ryan Velting

Equis25   Utica, US  Registered since 02nd Jan 2005 Sun 27-Nov-05 12:26 AM
#9. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 7

Hi Remington,

You did all the things I would have done in such a case, including sending it back to Nikon. I have only one last thought: Nikon after having effected the repair would have had to follow proper procedure by testing the camera to make sure it would function properly before shipping it back.

In reading about GLOD repairs for many months now, it is reported that they also clean the camera, update the firmware etc. So, if you received your camera back without the time and date set, they may have forgotten to set it or possibly the firmware was corrupted in one fashion or another... Just a wild guess! Keep us posted please. Rgds,

HERMAN

Butchdog   Bemidji, US  Basic Member Thu 24-Nov-05 12:49 AM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 0

I also had the GLOD repaired on my camera. I was advised to send it to Nikon in the original box(kit box)and it was returned in a generic brown box with no explanation of what had been done. I had read about other people getting a detailed list including such things as adjusted auto focus, cleaned, etc. I called the Nikon service rep I had been dealing with and left a voice mail which was never returned. I sent the same rep an e-mail to his personal Nikon account about my original box and list of repairs and never received a reply. I couldn't tell any difference in my camera other than it worked again. Since then I have been having the "LCD blackout" problem and am convinced my autofocus is out of whack. I can't seem to take a decent in-focus picture. So what gives?
Good day, bad day at Nikon or what? I'm not very happy with them at this point.
Butch

cgaengineer   Winder, US  Registered since 31st Oct 2005 Thu 24-Nov-05 01:33 AM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 5

I am sorry you both have had problems with Nikon. I would like to say my warranty service was great. Fixed bright pixel and cleaned camera. My only complaint was the $200 repair charge for my dropped 18-70 kit lens! I sent in original box and got it back exactly the way it was sent.

Remington   Grand Rapids, US  Registered since 02nd Nov 2005 Sat 26-Nov-05 07:22 PM
#8. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 5

I was never told to return it in the original box, therefore I just sent it in a generic brown shipping box, and it was returned in the same, sealed in a plastic bag wrapped in shipping wrap.

Ryan Velting

bhola   Chandler, US  Registered since 29th Oct 2005 Sun 27-Nov-05 06:54 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 5

>I also had the GLOD repaired on my camera. I was advised to
>send it to Nikon in the original box(kit box)and it was
>returned in a generic brown box with no explanation of what
>had been done. I had read about other people getting a
>detailed list including such things as adjusted auto focus,
>cleaned, etc. I called the Nikon service rep I had been
>dealing with and left a voice mail which was never returned.
> I sent the same rep an e-mail to his personal Nikon account
>about my original box and list of repairs and never received
>a reply. I couldn't tell any difference in my camera other
>than it worked again. Since then I have been having the
>"LCD blackout" problem and am convinced my autofocus is out
>of whack. I can't seem to take a decent in-focus picture.
>So what gives?
>Good day, bad day at Nikon or what? I'm not very happy with
>them at this point.
>Butch

Really strange- Nikon support always answer my email quickly- it may not what I want to hear but good response. I would write them email and keep copy to fight in future- Just my 2 cent-B

Remington   Grand Rapids, US  Registered since 02nd Nov 2005 Mon 28-Nov-05 03:17 PM
#11. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 10

Yes, I hope I was very clear about the service. I have been incredibly impressed. They are seemingly going out of their way to make it right, and have been curtious and helpful. Best customer service I have ever recieved.

Ryan Velting

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography   Philadelphia, US  Charter Member Wed 30-Nov-05 04:32 AM
7342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 10

Hi,

I've had trouble contacting Nikon Support via the Internet if I use the "Ask Nikon a Question" contact page on the Nikon web site. In fact, the page never seems to work and I have never had Nikon answer me when using the page.

When I've emailed Nikon support directly I have received a response from Nikon within 24 hours.

Most of the time, if it's a tech question I just call them. Their Digital Support Center in the US is open 24x7 (not the repair center which is only open 6am – 4pm Pacific time, Monday – Friday). I usually get a tech person within a minute or so of calling at the worst.

Ned
-----------------------------
There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.
Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Remington   Grand Rapids, US  Registered since 02nd Nov 2005 Tue 29-Nov-05 07:54 PM
#12. "RE: Yet another problem with my D70..."
In response to Reply # 0

UPDATE:

Called Nikon today, received a Service order #, and by the looks of it, they are fixing the problem in the following manner:

Problem: No Charge/Good Will Repair.
Warranty: Complimentary Service.

Ryan Velting

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #93027 Previous topic | Next topic