nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #914
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80 is great, but what about the D90?" Previous topic | Next topic
fgottlieb   US  Registered since 01st Jun 2006 Thu 10-Aug-06 07:17 PM
292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 is great, but what about the D90?"

I truly think that the D80 is a great camera and will look forward to the actual reviews. I currently don't need a camera but will be buying one soon.
The fact that Nikon chose to use SD makes me wonder if Nikon will come out with a D90 which is between the D80 and the D200 but with CF card (hence the D90). May be it will sell for $1200 body , $1600 with some kind of lens. I just can't think of what options it may have that is not currently being offered by either the D80 or the D200.

Maybe Nikon is getting rid of CF and will include SD in all future cameras. If so, that would alienate some of the pros who have a significant investment in CF cards.
I understand tha argument that SD cards are better in the long run, or at least until a new technology comes out, but why not offer the option of CF or SD with an adapter?

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? El Guapo
10th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? deadcpu
10th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? fgottlieb
10th Aug 2006
     Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? kskuty
10th Aug 2006
10th Aug 2006
          Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? BartY
11th Aug 2006
          Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? georgecz
11th Aug 2006
11th Aug 2006
               Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? swyost Silver Member
12th Aug 2006
14th Aug 2006
          Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? dayneger
10th Aug 2006
          Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
10th Aug 2006
          Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? jeremyrh
11th Aug 2006
          Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? kskuty
11th Aug 2006
          Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? Berodesign
13th Aug 2006
          Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? rickpaul Silver Member
10th Aug 2006
11th Aug 2006
                    Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? Signu53
11th Aug 2006
                    Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? westcoast Silver Member
11th Aug 2006
                    Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? shredder67
11th Aug 2006
                         Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? MK_Hayes
12th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? skorj
11th Aug 2006
Reply message I don't see a D90 for a while chingstudios
11th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: I don't see a D90 for a while marcu
11th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: I don't see a D90 for a while janlej Silver Member
14th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? dwright
11th Aug 2006
11th Aug 2006
11th Aug 2006
11th Aug 2006
11th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? EpicDan Silver Member
12th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? ttedrow
13th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? viziondetroit
13th Aug 2006
     Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? Grog
13th Aug 2006
          Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? peterah
14th Aug 2006
               Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? Max Power
14th Aug 2006
                    Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? Digital Skunk
16th Aug 2006
                         Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? Tony_Jeffree
22nd Aug 2006
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? Waterboy Silver Member
16th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? Alejandro Platinum Member
16th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? Alejandro Platinum Member
16th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90? Ilovemynikon
18th Aug 2006

El Guapo   Alexandria, US  Basic Member Thu 10-Aug-06 07:58 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

It would be smart of them from a marketing standpoint to put SD in all their furure pro cameras to create an upgrade path for those with consumer SLR's to upgrade. Just not the other way around meaning no CF slot in more consumerish cameras, but then we already are seeing this.

Eddy Figueroa
Northern Virginia Nikonian

D300/17-55 2.8 AFS/70-200 2.8 AFS VR/Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 HSM EX/Sigma 150 F2.8 HSM Macro/ 120-300mm 2.8 EX HSM/SB800/SB600

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

deadcpu   Somerville, US  Registered since 18th Jul 2002 Thu 10-Aug-06 08:01 PM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

thank you for your CF/SD adapter. I am building one right now and pattern it soon. J/K

I really don't know why Nikon wants to go into different memory type like this. they should keep everything in CF so people who want to upgrade into D200 or D2x etc. can do so without reinvest on another set of memory.

DEADCPU

fgottlieb   US  Registered since 01st Jun 2006 Thu 10-Aug-06 08:18 PM
292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 2

Part of the problem, at least in my perspective and regardless of the actual technology, is that SD cards are seen as amateur or for Point and Shoot cameras and CF cards are seen as more professional simply determined by the type of cameras that they support.
If Nikon is trying to compete with Canon, Pentax and Sony, they should stick with CF and may be an SD adapter so that people who already have D70s, D200 and D2x can continue to use their cards, and those that come from the D50 can use it with an adapter. That would make everyone happy!

kskuty   woodridge, US  Registered since 01st Feb 2006 Thu 10-Aug-06 08:45 PM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 3

As someone who has been thru many memory cards in my time and different types as well, I would like to know why people measure themselves as amateurs or pros based on they type of memory cards the camera they use takes. I for one am sick of all the whining on this new forum about the d80 not using CF cards. I would welcome someone giving me a valid and reasonable argument why CF is better than SD bacause I am truly at a loss to understand.

Sorry for the rant but I am tired of filtering thru all the dribble to glean useful information about the d80 that I am thinking about purchasing, and yes I own a d50 but will most likely be buying new larger sd cards for the new camera.

-Keith
vinyl, 8-tracks, film cameras, need I say more...

-Keith
vinyl, 8-tracks, film cameras, need I say more..

fgottlieb   US  Registered since 01st Jun 2006 Thu 10-Aug-06 09:04 PM
#5. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 4

Well, here's a couple of reasons.

First of all, I don't measure MYSELF as a professional or amateur based on the memory a card used, I am simply stating that the majority of what are considered Pro or semi-pro DSLRs carry CF cards.

The second reason is that I own two 4Gb cards and an 8Gb card. That is quite the expense for me to be able to replace and if I wanted to get a camera as great and as simple to use as a D80, I couldn't justify the expense because for that much money mind as well buy a D200.

I understand that SD cards are technically superior, but until CF are known to be obsolete, I don't understand why Nikon alienates the audience who they are targeting. As a D70 owner with several CF cards, It doesn't make too much sense to upgrade to the D80.

That's why my original post was wondering whether there will be a upgrade for the D70 owners that will continue to use CF cards.

BartY   Mableton, US  Registered since 03rd Aug 2002 Fri 11-Aug-06 12:58 AM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 5

>Well, here's a couple of reasons.
>
>First of all, I don't measure MYSELF as a professional or
>amateur based on the memory a card used, I am simply stating
>that the majority of what are considered Pro or semi-pro
>DSLRs carry CF cards.
>
>The second reason is that I own two 4Gb cards and an 8Gb
>card. That is quite the expense for me to be able to replace
>and if I wanted to get a camera as great and as simple to
>use as a D80, I couldn't justify the expense because mind as
>well buy a D200.
>
>I understand that SD cards are technically superior, but
>until CF are known to be obsolete, I don't understand why
>Nikon alienates the audcience who they are targeting. As a
>D70 owner with several CF cards, It down't make too much
>sense to upgrade to the D80.
>
>That's why my original post was wondering whether there will
>be a upgrade for the D70 owners that will continue to use CF
>cards.

Compact Flash is what was available when the D1 was released, so it became the de-facto "standard" for DSLRs. I don't even think SD cards were available or if they were available, they probably weren't very affordable.

SD is the new technology, like DDR SDRAM in a PC. I don't see Nikon making this switch to be any problem at all, but rather a natural progression to the current technology available.

georgecz   Ottawa, CA  Registered since 09th Aug 2006 Fri 11-Aug-06 03:15 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 5

Based on the trends I have seen in the mobile technology field, I must conclude that CF technology is on the way out. It is quite old now and the cards are significantly larger and more prone to damage (bending pins in the card slot) than SD. All handheld computers and smartphones (not too mention MP3 players, compact cameras, and such) almost completely abandoned CF cards for the sake of compactness and durability. Even 2GB SD card size limit has been breached both officially (by the new SD-HC standard that allows for SD cards up to 32 GB in size; and incidentally D80's SD slot is SD-HC compliant) and unofficially (by some lesser known manufacturers who circumvented the standard and created 4 GB cards).
Mid and high end dSLR's are about the only animals on this planet that still use CF format. However, when you consider dominance of SD format in all other fields (and compact photography as well), combined with the ridiculously low price of these cards (2GB SD cards can be had these days for under $40), it is easy to see that the days of CF cards are numbered. They will go the way of Sony BETA format and 5-1/4" floppies.

BTW, I cannot help but marvel at the mind set of people who happily spend many thousands of dollars on their dSLRs, lenses and all other gear, but cannot envision spending $40 on an SD memory card.

Happy shooting!

---
R.J. (George) Czajkowski
--------------------
Do not ask a man what camera he uses. If it is a Nikon, he will tell you himself. If it is not, why embarrass him?

fgottlieb   US  Registered since 01st Jun 2006 Fri 11-Aug-06 03:22 PM
#19. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 18

In my case is not $40. I have two 4Gb Sandisk and one 8Gb Seagate. Doing your math, I would need to spend another $320 to have the same capacity. That's a lot of money for me when i am already spending $1000.
I agree with everyone that SD is the way of the future, I was just hoping that Nikon didn't make it so abrupt!

swyost Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007 Sat 12-Aug-06 01:35 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"

For the most part, I agree with your assessment, but I can't really agree that CF cards are truly on their way out. They are simply not going to be the dominant segment of the market in the future. Also, after marketing Pocket PCs with SD support, Dell added CF card support back into the Axim X50 & X51 and HP added CF support to its professional level IPAQs. Actually they accept both cards - great for me since my IPAQ gives me an impromtu 2 GB SD Image tank in a pinch.

I think SD cards are finally maturing but are not quite there yet. My fastest SD card, for instance, isn't up to my Ultra II CF cards. They do, however, make for a great consumer option and this is a consumer camera. Personally, my impression is that people in this forum are making the same mistake D200 forum people have made over the past few months. It seems many people think the cameras were designed for them (mostly current Nikon DSLR users). The fact is that they were designed to capture market from Canon and bring in new users. From that perspective, SD is a reasonable choice. Even if the average P&S user finds that their existing SD cards are useless, they are a familiar form factor and more logical upgrade path for them.

Personally, I would bet the next pro DSLR from Nikon will still support CF since it is probably well into development now. However, down the line, everyone will need to face that CF is not the new F-mount. Like all technology, it will be leapfrogged, and like all technology innovators/marketers Nikon will move on to the new standard. On my front, I am very happy with my D200 and expect it to be my camera for several years, but when it comes time to buy another DSLR, I expect it will use SD cards. By the way. my only real complaint about SD cards is the size. If you live in a windy area, they really can blow away if you are not careful....

Stephen

fgottlieb   US  Registered since 01st Jun 2006 Mon 14-Aug-06 04:07 PM
#36. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"

So basically you are saying that Nikon put out last year a camera in the D200 that already uses soon to be obsolete technology?

If so, why would Olympus, Sony, Fuji, Canon and even Hasselblad (although not a DSLR) all use CF cards in all of their DSRL cameras?

Even the recently released Canon 30D uses CF. Are you implying that Nikon is AHEAD of the game? The only people who are exclusively using SD is Pentax and Panasonic, hardly the market leaders in this segment.

I am just wondering (and hoping) that the decision to use SD instead of CF was not a financial decision but more of a technological decision. In other words, I hope that Nikon didn't decide to use SD "because it was cheaper" but rather because it is, as some others have called it, "the wave of the future"

dayneger   Chur, CH  Registered since 13th Dec 2005 Thu 10-Aug-06 09:04 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 4

Hi Keith,

No need to apologize for your rant, it saved me the trouble! I, too, am dumbfounded that so many have latched onto this one aspect which in my opinion shows a lack of clear thinking from many individuals. The D80 looks so interesting that I'm considering replacing my stolen D200 with one!

Dayne

PS Edit to correct a typo

Freed by Digital

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills   Paignton, UK  Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003 Thu 10-Aug-06 10:02 PM
29566 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 6

Guys, can we keep this discussion calm please? Everyone has a right to a view on the relative merits of CF and SD formats, and should be able to put forward that view without being criticised for it. We all have our own standards and criteria, and can come to different conclusions.

Thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jeremyrh   Copenhagen, DK  Registered since 02nd Nov 2004 Fri 11-Aug-06 08:12 AM
517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 8

>Guys, can we keep this discussion calm please? Everyone has
>a right to a view on the relative merits of CF and SD
>formats, and should be able to put forward that view without
>being criticised for it. We all have our own standards and
>criteria, and can come to different conclusions.
>
>Thanks!

That's true, but what we have seen is people making comments about SD cards without actually saying anything about the merits of the two formats.

jeremyrh

---------
D300; F100; Nikkor 17-55/2.8; 70-200/2.8; 18-200; 85/1.4; 45/2.8 PC; 50/1.8; Sigma 30/1.4; 28-70/2.8; Tokina 12-24; SB900, SB600x2

< Previous|
1|2|3|4|5|Next >

kskuty   woodridge, US  Registered since 01st Feb 2006 Fri 11-Aug-06 03:02 PM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 8

I would not say that we are criticising people for their comments on Cf vs SD. I was really asking if there are any valid reasons why one is superior to the other. I would have to say that change in technology is inevitable and frequent. If I dug my heels in because memory prices keep falling and the format changes, I would have moved into the woods in a cabin long ago, I have a 48Mb CF card in my personal museum of old technology with the original purchase receipt of $399.99.

I also think that many are missing the likely reasons why Nikon chose to go with SD, smaller form factor, cheaper interfacing costs, larger installed base of possible buyers. The added cost of putting in a dual interface for Cf and SD would, in my opinion pushed the cost of the D80 much closer to the D200 and also made the form factor larger.

Let's all remember that at the end of the day Nikon is in the business of making money for themselves and their shareholders, I am sure that the change in format is not some plot to force users to purchase more memory cards, after all Nikon does not manufacture or profit from the sales of memory cards, do they???

If my comments offended anyone I apologize, I just think that this one issue has taken on a life of it's own, maybe we need a CF vs SD forum for all the debate about it.

-Keith
vinyl, 8-tracks, film cameras, need I say more...

-Keith
vinyl, 8-tracks, film cameras, need I say more..

Berodesign   Stockholm, SE  Registered since 21st Feb 2006 Sun 13-Aug-06 02:37 PM
483 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 6

DID YOU STEAL A D200????

rickpaul Silver Member  Tucson, US  Charter Member Thu 10-Aug-06 09:06 PM
1808 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 4

The trend in technology, especially storage devices, is always smaller and cheaper. A drive towards SD is inevitable. What remains to be seen is if SD is the standard that the community will settle on for years to come, or are we looking at new card formats every few years?

I really doubt that SD to CF is much of a concern for anyone upgrading from a D50 to a D200. I bet most people upgrading from a D50 or D70 to the D80 will buy new cards anyway because of the larger file sizes.

However, the whole topic does make me want to whip out my trusty F6 and pop a roll of film in it...

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

fgottlieb   US  Registered since 01st Jun 2006 Fri 11-Aug-06 01:26 AM
#10. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 7

It is a concern for me when I spent over $400 in memory cards.
I understand that SD may be the way of the future, but it seems like an abrupt change to leave people out in the cold when the D80 is supposed to be the upgrade to the D70. Knowing that this is an upgrade for the D70, Nikon should have offer either dual slots or a CF with an adapter (which plenty of other manufacturers do)as a warning sign that future cameras will include SD.
I find it rather intreresting that Nikon has the arrogance and audacity to tell their customers "if you want this camera to upgrade your D70, prepare to fork out a lot of money"

Signu53   HK  Registered since 29th Oct 2005 Fri 11-Aug-06 02:31 AM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 10

>I find it rather intreresting that Nikon has the arrogance
>and audacity to tell their customers "if you want this
>camera to upgrade your D70, prepare to fork out a lot of
>money"

Isn't forking out the money what we all do when it comes to upgrading. It just in this case a little more money because you have to shell out a little more because you have to get a few more cards.

Honestly, I understand the SD card thing. I personally like CF but lets be honest, Nikon makes good camera but they can not make everyone happy. They probally have their reasons for not including a dual slot. The most likely one is to save the added space so they could cram in as much technology into the smaller D50 like body. So they cut out some things.

So for most this is a money thing and you have a fairly simple decision. If the cost of the added memory is too much, then think about the D200. If the cost of the D200 is too much, then just keep shooting with your D70/s and be happy until another option is available.

For others who may have thought to use the D80 as a backup, things are a little more complex since it will mean that they have to carry two types of media with them. Still you now have your product which ranting wont change so decide if this is the right camera for you given the information you know. If it isn't you can either go with the D200 or wait until Nikon comes out with a new rendition. Maybe a D90 will be out sooner than you think but I garantee you when they announce that, some people will not be happy.

Just my two cents.

Gordon

Gordon

westcoast Silver Member  California, US  Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007 Fri 11-Aug-06 03:58 AM
821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 11

I think camera and computer memory are a lot a like, in that the cost always comes down over time. Secondly, as the technology improves the cards get faster. I like the idea of being able to use the CF memory from my D70 in the D200; but I still have to reformat it, so you do have to be careful switching cards. Secondly the D200 can take advantage of Extreme III technology, so I would rather use the new faster 133X cards in the D200 anyway.

shredder67   Pittsburgh, US  Registered since 26th Mar 2003 Fri 11-Aug-06 05:36 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 10

Thus is the world of technology. If you want to run Windows Vista when it comes out, you are going to "upgrade" your computer (buy memory, cpu upgrade, replace the PC). That's the way it is. If you don't want to spend money on new accessories you can always stay with the D70, it still works and card prices will come down. I'm in the computer field and I've got a basement full of perfectly working equipment that cost me many, many thousands of dollars, that today is, for all intents and purposes, useless unless I run older software on it. In 1989 I bought my first hard disk for a computer, a whopping 120MB Winchester drive, for the low low price of $1299. Today I can buy 500 Gigs for less than 1/3rd the price. This is the price we pay for our addictions, I mean, hobbies. Besides, in 2 years, SD will be on it's way out too.

MK_Hayes   Pepperell, US  Registered since 04th Mar 2006 Sat 12-Aug-06 12:28 PM
591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 21

We've got a 300MB, full height, 5 1/4" hard drive in the kitchen that we use as a door stop.

After reading this, my question is, why didn't the D200 go dual? It being a bigger body, space wouldn't be a consideration. This would have made it an easier upgrade path for both the D50 and the D70(s).

skorj   Fort Erie, CA  Registered since 19th Aug 2003 Fri 11-Aug-06 05:43 AM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sure I have a bit of money tied up in CF cards that wont work in the D80. On the other hand, if I bought a D200, I'd be increasing my investment in a format that seems destined to be phased out. If the "just below pro" camera has gone to SD, take as a sign of things to come. I think you're less likely to see a D90 using CF cards than you are a D300 and a D3x that use SD. If I continued accumulating CF cards, it would make that transition even more painful.
It'd be nice if I didn't have to buy new cards, but put this investment into the follwing perspective - the last 1GB CF card I bought was about the price of a pro-pack of C-41 film, and shooting RAW on my D70s I get about the same number of exposures. So film was just as expensive to buy, could only used once and cost at least as much again to develop. Though it was more expensive in every way I never considered film as an investment, so how worried should I be over my investment in CF cards? And yes I'll have to buy some SD cards now, but that doesn't mean the investment I have in CF cards will be out the window - I still have a perfectly good D70s they'll go in.

-Joe Iannandrea

chingstudios   Big Town, AQ  Registered since 03rd Jun 2006 Fri 11-Aug-06 09:47 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "I don't see a D90 for a while"
In response to Reply # 0

There simply isn't much room between the D80 and the D200 and I seriously doubt if Nikon will try to make a D80 with CF (and call it a D90) just to satisfy people with an existing investment in memory cards. After all, the majority of us have more invested in filters than memory and I don't hear anybody complaining about the fact that the new kit lens uses 72mm filters rather than the 67mm filters on the D70 kit lens. (Perhaps now they will. LOL)

I think the D50 will remain the entry level Nikon dSLR for a while longer, and then be replaced by a D60. I hope it will have an entirely new sensor with perhaps a few more pixels, but with much greater DR.

Many people believe that the D80 is a replacement for the D70 and we are not likely to see a D90 for several years, at which time it will be a replacement for the D80, and I agree.

Sooner or later the D200 will be replaced too, and it will be interesting to see if it retains CF memory. I'll bet it uses SD for sure with perhaps the capability to use both, which can be justified in a camera quite a bit more expensive than the D80.

Time will tell, but to me it looks like SD is coming, so folks will have to get used to it.

Bob

marcu   Helsinki, FI  Registered since 13th Dec 2005 Fri 11-Aug-06 10:11 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: I don't see a D90 for a while"
In response to Reply # 15

>After all, the majority of us have more invested in filters than memory and
>I don't hear anybody complaining about the fact that the new
>kit lens uses 72mm filters rather than the 67mm filters on
>the D70 kit lens. (Perhaps now they will. LOL)

Or better, I would like to file an official complain to Nikon why they have upgraded their computer interface to USB 2.0, as I have a computer with only USB 1.0. Thus, they forced me upgrade the computer too. LOL

And then, how about when in couple of years the mini-SD will become larger and large in capacity, and maybe possibly Nikon or others will adopt it. I am looking forward to see complains if that happens

No intention to offence anybody, it's just the progress cannot be stoped just because some people invested couple of hundreds in memory cards. Those people most probably use more expensive bodies that still accept CF cards. If Nikon would change its bodies or sensors so that the current lenses won't work anymore, now that would be a valid complain, isn't it?

Marcu

janlej Silver Member  Brugge, BE  Nikonian since 27th Feb 2004 Mon 14-Aug-06 09:35 AM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: I don't see a D90 for a while"
In response to Reply # 15

>I don't hear anybody complaining about the fact that the new
>kit lens uses 72mm filters rather than the 67mm filters on
>the D70 kit lens. (Perhaps now they will. LOL)

The new D80 kit lens (18-135) has a 67mm filter attachment size, according to the Nikon website. That is the same as the D70/18-70 kit lens, so there is no reason to complain here.

Jan L.
Brugge - Belgium

dwright   US  Registered since 08th Nov 2005 Fri 11-Aug-06 04:43 PM
288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

The D90 will replace the D80s in about 2.5 years. It will use SD cards...

fgottlieb   US  Registered since 01st Jun 2006 Fri 11-Aug-06 05:37 PM
#22. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 20

according to whom?

dwright   US  Registered since 08th Nov 2005 Fri 11-Aug-06 06:10 PM
288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 22

According to moi... it's a prognostication based on the pattern of dslr releases to date.

fgottlieb   US  Registered since 01st Jun 2006 Fri 11-Aug-06 07:18 PM
#24. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 23

And what do you suspect will be different about this camera?

dwright   US  Registered since 08th Nov 2005 Fri 11-Aug-06 11:56 PM
#25. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 24

Ask me in 2.25 years... (when I can guess at which features will trickle down from the D300).

To spell it out, I don't see Nikon releasing a dslr positioned between the D80 and the D200 in features and price. Hence, the D90 (when/if a model with that moniker appears) will replace the D80, just as the D80 replaced the D70 -- as an "enthusiast's" camera, with features trickling down from a "semi-pro" model

EpicDan Silver Member  St. Paul, US  Charter Member Sat 12-Aug-06 02:57 PM
703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

Of a pro shooter's significant investment in CF cards, how many are still useful? Not "how many would work?" How many cards do they actually USE?

I bought two 512 CF cards with my D100.
The D2H required an additional 2 Gig card.
I couldn't buy the D2X without a 4 Gig card.
The 512s never get used anymore. They would work, but why bother? They are small and slow. The D100 is gifted to my sister.

Many pros upgrade memory between camera purchases - even if the old stuff still works. The need (or want) something faster or larger.

I'm not sure pro photographers will be too concerned. Memory cost is part of the camera cost; factor it in and decide to upgrade or keep on with the old gear.

Daniel McGowan

ttedrow   US  Registered since 01st Aug 2006 Sun 13-Aug-06 04:21 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

This should be in the D90 Users Group

viziondetroit   Detroit, US  Registered since 14th Mar 2006 Sun 13-Aug-06 09:56 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#31. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 30

Simple solution.

DONT BUY THE NEW CAMERA UNTIL YOU CAN AFFORD THE ACCESSORIES.... Also don't buy a new camera just because there is a new one coming out.

Detroit Nikonian...

www.crushmediagroup.com

D80, SB600, Nikkor 50mm f1.8, Sigma 18-55mm, Sigma 28-300mm

Grog   Lincoln, US  Basic Member Sun 13-Aug-06 10:42 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 31

Well maybe the needed more room as they where stuffing a D200 into the body of a D50.

Just get out there and take pictures. N80 D200.

peterah   Durban, ZA  Registered since 29th Oct 2005 Mon 14-Aug-06 09:12 AM
718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 32

Instead of buying more and bigger memory cards which may not be compatible with newer cameras, why not just get an Image Tank (hard drive storage device) which accepts all memory card formats. This will prevent the painful exercise for some when they upgrade.

At the end of the day, technology changes (usually for the better) whether we like it or not.

Have a great day
Peter

Peter
http://www.peterhowells.co.za

Max Power   St. Paul, US  Registered since 13th Jan 2006 Mon 14-Aug-06 02:32 PM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 33

As long as speculation is rampant, I say the D80s will be out in 18 months, and it's main feature will be better compatibility with the new SB1000 flash. Then the D90 will come out with the 12mg sensor surrently in the D2xs, which will pale in comparison to the 16.8mg sensor in the D3x....and I will still probably be shooting with my D70s.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Digital Skunk   Baltimore City, US  Registered since 09th Aug 2006 Wed 16-Aug-06 04:09 AM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 35

I am at the end of a really long discussion so I will keep it short.

Apple computers just put out an Intel Mac Pro... Made my old fashioned Dual Core G5 obsolete. Can't get one and use the memory I have in the G5 in it. I ain't complaining. When will I upgrade? In about 1.5 to 2 years when I have to. I still have much more upgrading to do with this one. $5000 for 16 GB of ram. I only have one display and I can stick 4 more hard drives in it. Lots of upgrading to do. Can't hate Apple for making a better computer and putting up-to-date tech in it.

If you are complaining about the D80 not having CF cards then get more use out of your D70/s and refuse to give in to NAS. Take the $1000 and buy great glass, which will keep your D70/s going for a few more years. Or... buy an SD to CF card adapter and start buying more SD Cards with the same write speed as the CF cards. That way when you have to upgrade you will already have the SD cards at 4 or more GBs.

After I get two 23 inch or 30 inch displays, that $1700 graphics card, more hard drives and PCI-Express cards, I will have a lot of good stuff to put in that base Mac Pro. Then the G5 can go on Ebay or be a great gift or even a server.

Technology will always be changing no matter how much you love your out-dated equipment

"The passion for photography doesn't come from the photographer... it comes from the human emotion... the moment that the photographer is in and their willingness and decision to capture it."

... NABJ Photojournalist

Tony_Jeffree   Manchester, UK  Registered since 13th Oct 2004 Tue 22-Aug-06 01:48 PM
2016 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 37

>>If you are complaining about the D80 not having CF cards
>then get more use out of your D70/s and refuse to give in to
>NAS. Take the $1000 and buy great glass, which will keep
>your D70/s going for a few more years. Or... buy an SD to
>CF card adapter and start buying more SD Cards with the same
>write speed as the CF cards. That way when you have to
>upgrade you will already have the SD cards at 4 or more GBs.

Hmmm...not clear to me that you ever can/will get the same read/write speed out of SD for the simple reason that the SD interface only has 4 data pins (which also do double duty as address pins) whereas the CF has 16 data lines and separate address pins. So all other things being equal, it seems to me that SD can never be better than 4 times slower on reads/writes than the same memory technology implemented in CF, and in situatuations where the access is true "random access" as opposed to streaming a large file to and fro, the speed comparison may be significantly worse on SD due to the fact that the data lines double duty for address setup. Going via a CF to SD converter won't improve that situation either, as the rate limiting factor is the speed of the SD interface.

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

Waterboy Silver Member  Pittsburgh, US  Charter Member Wed 16-Aug-06 01:27 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yesterday I went to a camera store and asked to look at an SD card. I've never given them much thought since my D100 and D200 both use the CF. Imagine my surprise at seeing a tiny card that will hold two gigs (or more if you want) and only has about a half dozen SLIDE contacts, NOT FIFTY tiny fragile pins as does the CF. I really like the way SD interfaces with the camera. PLUS, the salesman showed me an adapter THAT COMES WITH THE NEW SONY allowing you to plug an SD into a CF sized card then insert it into the camera. If I had an adapter like that for my Nikons I would never have to buy a CF again, and simply use SD for everything.

A photographer makes the picture....the gear only helps!

Alejandro Platinum Member  Spain, ES  Nikonian since 31st Dec 2004 Wed 16-Aug-06 02:32 PM
1261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

I am in the camp that has to buy new SD/cards.

Well, at least I would need to buy them anyway when upgrading from my D70 due to the file size increase.

I am wondering if the D80 supports SDHC (or SD 2.0) which supports bigger cards. As far as I read it, anything above 4GB is SD 2.0.

Does anyone know if it does support that ?

A

-----------------------

Alejandro Platinum Member  Spain, ES  Nikonian since 31st Dec 2004 Wed 16-Aug-06 02:42 PM
1261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 39

Nevermind, I just read that it does support SDHC. (and they are proud of it )

A

-----------------------

Ilovemynikon   US  Registered since 14th May 2006 Fri 18-Aug-06 08:57 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: D80 is great, but what about the D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

Whats the big deal about SD in the D80? Lets think about it from Nikon's perspective... they want to have an 'upgrade' to the D70, but they also want to increase their market share... how can they do that?

Well first off, they can use SD because if someone is looking to upgrade their camera from a P&S whats the first thing they will think...
Hmm... I can get a canon 30D that accepts compactflash (whats that!)
or a nikon D80 which lets me use the memory cards I already own! Hmm... which one am I going to buy...

So it seems to me that nikon introduced the SD in the D80 to convert more p&s users from canon... thats all... maybe it will be a dominant format in a few years... but I'll still have my compactflash...

"It takes alot of imagination to be a good photographer.... it takes alot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary." - David Bailey

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #914 Previous topic | Next topic