Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #91323
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spots in viewfinder not on CCD?" Previous topic | Next topic
heed91 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2004Thu 08-Dec-05 02:38 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Spots in viewfinder not on CCD?"

Gilbert, US

I am aware that with DSLR's it is important to keep the sensor clean so that you don't get the dust spots on your pictures. My problem is that when I look through the viewfinder there are little black spots (2 of them) in the top center area of the viewfinder, and then a what appears to be a little black piece of lint on the right side of the viewfinder.

They are all pretty much in focus, but these same spots do not show up in my photos like you would expect if they were coming from the CCD. I did a search for this on the D70 forum and came across one post that might help me but I have a question regarding the following suggestion that was given.

"Besides the mirror, also check the bottom of the viewfinder. This is where you will typically get the dust specks that appear in focus. First try a good lens brush to remove the dust."

My question is if I want to clean the viewfinder, where else can I clean it besides on the rear of the camera where you look through? What is this nikonian referring to when they say the "bottom of the viewfinder"? These spots are more of an annoyance than anything else since they don't show up in the photos, but it would be nice not to have to look at them while I am trying to take my pictures. Thanks for your help in advance.
Heath

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Spots in viewfinder not on CCD?
moffo
08th Dec 2005
leebaylin Silver Member
08th Dec 2005
heed91 Silver Member
08th Dec 2005
hnagy
04th Mar 2013
rwsteve66
05th Mar 2013
hnagy
05th Mar 2013
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
10th Mar 2013

moffo Basic MemberThu 08-Dec-05 03:13 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Spots in viewfinder not on CCD?"
In response to Reply # 0

Temple, US

Remove the lens and look up. That's the viewfinder screen that probably has the dirt on it. Try a blower first, as the screen is soft plastic and easily damaged.

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberThu 08-Dec-05 03:16 AM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Spots in viewfinder not on CCD?"
In response to Reply # 0

Baltimore, US

Take off the lens (in as dust free a place as you have such as a bathroom) and look straight into the lens mount. You will see a mirror at a 45 degree angel. In the mirror, you will see the bottom of the viewfinder assembly. Look up slightly and you will see it directly. The dust could be on the mirror, the bottom of the viewfinder, or inside of the viewfinder assembly. DO NOT TOUCH THE MIRROR. Use a blower, preferably a Giotto Rocket, to blow the dust off of the mirror or the underside of the viewfinder. If this does not work, use a very clean soft lens brush on the bottom of the viewfinder, being very careful not to touch the mirror. If this does not work, you should learn to live with it. You can remove the bottom of the viewfinder, but it is very tricky and not for the faint of heart. If it really bothers you, a trip to the Nikon service center might be in order. Good luck.

Lee Baylin

heed91 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2004Thu 08-Dec-05 05:39 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Spots in viewfinder not on CCD?"
In response to Reply # 2

Gilbert, US

Thanks for the info and advice. I have gone ahead and ordered the Giotto Rocket to use for this. As for now I will just leave them and wait until I get the blower to take care of them. Thanks again.
Heath

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Mon 04-Mar-13 08:46 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Spots in viewfinder not on CCD?"
In response to Reply # 3

Cairo, EG

How much it costs to have Nikon service center to clean the mirror and the focus area?

rwsteve66 Registered since 19th Feb 2011Tue 05-Mar-13 08:19 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Spots in viewfinder not on CCD?"
In response to Reply # 4

Phoenix, US

I had a camera repair shop clean the sensor on my D80 & it cost about $50, now I just use a $5-$10 can of compressed air to blow off the sensor & so far it works....

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Tue 05-Mar-13 08:24 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Spots in viewfinder not on CCD?"
In response to Reply # 5

Cairo, EG

>I had a camera repair shop clean the sensor on my D80 &
>it cost about $50, now I just use a $5-$10 can of compressed
>air to blow off the sensor & so far it works....
Do they offer the service of cleaning the focus area or the viewfinder?

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 10-Mar-13 08:20 PM
6019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Spots in viewfinder not on CCD?"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I had a camera repair shop clean the sensor on my D80 &
>it cost about $50, now I just use a $5-$10 can of compressed
>air to blow off the sensor & so far it works....

Ooooo...... not good!

Cans of compressed air often have water in them, or worse, oil. These water or oil droplets can go everywhere inside your camera and possibly destroy it!

If you have gotten away with this, you have been very lucky!

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #91323 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.