Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #90729
View in linear mode

Subject: "Storing images while travelling" Previous topic | Next topic
rick lea Registered since 24th Jan 2004Sun 30-Oct-05 10:21 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Storing images while travelling"

Kent, US

I will be taking my D70 to Europe for an 8 day vacation. I anticipate taking over 2000 images, mostly in JPEG-Large-Fine format.
I need some ideas as to how to store the images as I go. I have several 1gb cards but I will need more storage area.

Most of Europe runs on 220volt/50 cycle so I am sure that will be a factor in choosing a storage system.

I am open to all suggestions.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Storing images while travelling
w_lorimer
30th Oct 2005
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
30th Oct 2005
Reply message RE: Storing images while traveling
JonC
30th Oct 2005
Pursuit Silver Member
03rd Nov 2005
Richz
30th Oct 2005
rick lea
31st Oct 2005
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
31st Oct 2005
RoscoeD
05th Nov 2005
Demokrit
04th Nov 2005
jvenard
08th Dec 2005
Richz
10th Dec 2005
leebaylin Silver Member
31st Oct 2005
paul_wood
31st Oct 2005
Demokrit
05th Nov 2005
robesse
05th Nov 2005
Arithon
31st Oct 2005
RoscoeD
05th Nov 2005
jku
31st Oct 2005
31st Oct 2005
jku
31st Oct 2005
31st Oct 2005
jku
01st Nov 2005
02nd Nov 2005
edoruan
15th Nov 2005
dark13star
31st Oct 2005
dannybirdie
31st Oct 2005
AndrewFromCanada Silver Member
02nd Nov 2005
jku
31st Oct 2005
skamaraju
01st Nov 2005
tbedon
01st Nov 2005
escribaj
03rd Nov 2005
01st Nov 2005
mauiglide
01st Nov 2005
MvdN72
01st Nov 2005
dark13star
02nd Nov 2005
robesse
01st Nov 2005
two hour lunch
02nd Nov 2005
MvdN72
02nd Nov 2005
doogienj
04th Nov 2005
dave68
04th Nov 2005
jku
04th Nov 2005
mureena
04th Nov 2005
dave68
05th Nov 2005
Richz
07th Nov 2005
DutchD70
05th Nov 2005
edoruan
15th Nov 2005
steveoa
07th Dec 2005

w_lorimer Basic MemberSun 30-Oct-05 10:33 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

Greymouth, NZ

Hi Rick

Lucky you - wish I was of to Europe for 8 days.

At the moment when I'm travelling I always take my laptop with me and download everything onto that in the evening.

But I am seriously considering getting an 'Image Tank'storage device (at least that's what it's called here in NZ), that will hold 40GB, takes a huge range of cards, and runs on a rechargeable li-ion battery good for 80mins.

That's what I'd take (or something similar like an iPhoto).

Wayne

A 'Kiwi' Nikonian
nzdigital.blogspot.com

You've got to stand up for something - or you'll fall for anything

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSun 30-Oct-05 10:50 PM
6795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Hi,

I use a portable hard drive to store my images while traveling. In particular I'm using a CompactDrive PD70X 80GB unit which I purchased from East Gear earlier this year. I did a lot of research, much of it querying Nikonians and decided this unit was the best for me. It's faster, and can transfer more megs of my photos on a single charge than anything else on the market that I've seen, and the price is right. You can't view your photos directly on the unit, but I didn't care about that. I was looking for a lot of portable storage and that's what this unit gives. It's become my favorite gadget.

So far it has worked flawlessly, and it's been a workhorse for me. I've stored more than 6000 photos on it over the almost half year I've had it. I got it with the car charger adapter.

As to the voltage question, I have many devices which I take on trips which need power including the charger for my EN-EL3 batteries, so I take a travel transformer. I also take the right plug adapters for the countries I'm visiting. Please note that it's not just a voltage difference between the US and Europe, the outlets are significantly different and you'll need plug adapters.

Ned
-----------------------------
There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.
Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

JonC Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 30-Oct-05 11:19 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Storing images while traveling"
In response to Reply # 2

Tonbridge, UK

Hello from the UK, well we are sort of Europe, we just dont like to admit it

Most bits of modern electronics kit are dual voltage and will work on anything between 100-240v and 50-60hz. Luckily if you have a MH-18 battery charger it should be ok with a plug travel adapter. If you get any other bits of kit just check the charger, it should be stamped with the voltage and hz range. Theres a guide to types here

http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/nongr.htm

Pursuit Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2003Thu 03-Nov-05 06:50 AM
2110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 2

Kihei, US

I also use a PD70X and like the fact that I can slap in standard AA batteries to power it. The PD70X is small enough to carry in your coat pocket.

Jim Kelly
Seasonally 808

Richz Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 30-Oct-05 11:29 PM
149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Rick,

I recently purchased the NIkon Coolwalker which has a 30 gig hard drive. It works seamlessly with my D70, Picture Project and Nikon Capture. This portable storage device can store around 10,000 jpeg images and Nikon has just recently reduced its price. It about the size of your average calculator. I use mine alot.

rick lea Registered since 24th Jan 2004Mon 31-Oct-05 12:36 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 4

Kent, US

Thanks to all who have replied. I learned a whole bunch in one short afternoon.

It seems as though the D70 battery charger will run on either voltage so no problem there. I am familiar with the plug adapters they use in Europe. Cheap and readily available.

Looks like I should narrow my choice down to the Nikon Coolwalker or CompactDrive PD70X. They are both very close in price. I would like to hear from more people who have either of the above mentioned products. Pro/con/best place to buy...... BH is probably going to be the cheapest place for the coolwalker.

Thanks again,
Rick

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 31-Oct-05 03:23 AM
6795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 5

Philadelphia, US

Hi Rick,

There are major difference between the two.

Nikon Coolwalker: $270
Capacity - 30GB
Screen for Browsing Photos - 2.5"
Transfer from CF Card - Direct
Single Charge Battery Life Transferring Files - 10GB
Time to store 1GB - 13 minutes
Battery Recharge - 0 to Full - 4 Hrs.
Computer Interface - USB 2

CompactDrive PD70X 80GB: $272
Capacity - 80GB
Screen for Browsing Photos - Cannot view photos directly on PD70X
Transfer from CF Card - Direct
Single Charge Battery Life Transferring Files - 50GB
Time to store 1GB - 2 minutes
Battery Recharge - 0 to Full - 2 Hrs.
Computer Interface - USB 2

Some of the above information is from my own experience on the PD70X, some from Johan van Wijngaarden's review on Digital Photography Review, and some from other reviews and the product specs.

Personally I think a decision between the two has to do with do you care whether or not you can review your photos on the storage device and/or is 30GB enough space or do you need more. I take my photos in NEF and more space for me out-weighs seeing them in the device. I have 5-1MB CF cards so I can normally go a day without having to delete files from the cards, however, I off-load my cards to the PD70X as I go along during the day so I'm backed up. The photos are important to me and I don't want to take chances with them.

I drag my laptop computer with me all over the world and get to review the photos in the evening on a trip on a meaningful 14.1" screen instead of a 2.5" screen anyway. I also off load my photos each night on to my hard drive or burn a cd to have a backup to my portable drive on which I keep the photos until I get home. I don't backup to DVD at this point because I still don't trust them long term.

Ned

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

RoscoeD Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 05-Nov-05 07:53 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 9

Woodbridge, US

>Hi Rick,
>
>There are major difference between the two.
>
>Nikon Coolwalker: $270
>
>CompactDrive PD70X 80GB: $272
>
>Ned
>-----------------------------
>

Question...how do you then transfer these to the computer? Reason I ask is that I use Nikon Transfer to copy the pics from my camera, with the camera data transferred to the IPTC caption field (to be used in other applications). Can I use Nikon transfer to copy from the portable storage devices so I can accomplish the same thing?

------
Roscoe
Big ones eat the little ones, little ones got to be fast. - The Radiators
http://www.rossdillon.smugmug.com

------
Roscoe

Demokrit Registered since 04th Nov 2005Fri 04-Nov-05 11:59 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 5

Edmonton, CA

You don't say, where you'll be going in Europe.
If you visit the UK, you'll need another plug adaptor, beyond the typical European two-pronged one.

Cheers,

Achim

Cheers,

Achim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jvenard Registered since 10th Oct 2004Thu 08-Dec-05 04:44 AM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 4

Mesa, US

>Rick,
>
>I recently purchased the NIkon Coolwalker which has a 30 gig
>hard drive. It works seamlessly with my D70, Picture Project
>and Nikon Capture. This portable storage device can store
>around 10,000 jpeg images and Nikon has just recently
>reduced its price. It about the size of your average
>calculator. I use mine alot.

I have the cool walker also, but, when I download photos using a battery, I only get about 10 minutes of use, has any other cool walker owners had the same issue?

Richz Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 10-Dec-05 12:24 PM
149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 46

US

jvernard,

My Coolwalker battery does eat up power but remember there's a hard drive in it that's swirling around the same as the hard drives in our computers. It eats up alot of power. I do get more use from a charge than what your getting. I usually can download about 380 raw images and still do a couple of slide shows to view what I've taken. I am in the near future going to buy a backup battery though.

Richz

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberMon 31-Oct-05 12:55 AM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

Baltimore, US

I spent 12 days in Greece in July. I took my laptop and downloaded to it each night and then burned to DVD. I won't trust images to any one medium, as the recent experience with this board should demonstrate. Hard drives fail as do any other media. Actually, I burned two DVDs, one for my carryon and one for my wife's. That way, theft or loss of the laptop and any one other bag would not mean a loss of images. Computers and shirts can be replaced, that nightime image of the Parthenon (at least the one I took) can't.

As to power, all of my devices, take the little figure eight type plug and work on 120/240 volts. I took a little three outlet tap fitted with one US to Europe adapter and was able to plug in the laptop, D70 charger and the charger for the SB800 recharables every night. You just need an adapter for most gear, not the biger nad heavier converter that converts 240 to 120.

BTW, it all got home.

link to Murphy's Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law

Have a great trip!!

Lee Baylin

paul_wood Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 31-Oct-05 01:35 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 6

Quispamsis, CA

My daughter and son-in-law just got back from two weeks in China. Two days after arriving home his fairly new laptop's hard drive ceased operation and all images thereon vanished never to be seen again. This included hundreds of stills and lots of video. At my urging and constant reminding (nagging my daughter says) throughout their trip he burned his images to DVDs nightly, howbeit reluctantly I'm sure. Now he is glad I bugged the heck out of him although he will never admit it in public.

No matter what medium you use to store your data it is not going to be 100 percent reliable. Duplicate storage units such as a portable hard drive in addition to a laptop, or DVD's and a laptop,and so-on are much safer than a single storage point. Oh yes, he deleted a whole day's worth of images on his camera in Beijing from a dumb thumb move while viewing them. Even I couldn't see that one coming...but I'm not surprised... I liken deleting images on the camera to removing the back of a film camera to check if the film is still in there...not a good thing to do even in the dark...

Paul...

http://paulwoodphotos.blogspot.com/

Demokrit Registered since 04th Nov 2005Sat 05-Nov-05 12:04 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 7

Edmonton, CA

You are right, backing up your data is a must!

However, I doubt those picture on the defective hard-drive are truly lost. Even here in smallville Victoria, BC, Canada, I know at least two places, where you can have the data on defunct HDD's recovered. This usually works even on drives that have been severely damaged, e.g., during a house fire.

Cheers,

Achim

Cheers,

Achim

robesse Basic MemberSat 05-Nov-05 07:14 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 36

Chico, US

... and with a utility like PhotoRescue <http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/index.htm>; you can recover deletes images from a card often even if it has been re-formatted.

-- Rob S

Arithon Basic MemberMon 31-Oct-05 02:01 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

Christchurch, NZ

I've just bought one of these, along with an 80GB laptop drive. It's a fantastic little device, and im sure more and more of these will come out in the very near future as USB OTG begins to become more widely available.

Jon

RoscoeD Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 05-Nov-05 06:38 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 8

Woodbridge, US

>I've just bought one of
>these,
>along with an 80GB laptop drive. It's a fantastic little
>device, and im sure more and more of these will come out in
>the very near future as USB OTG begins to become more widely
>available.
>
>Jon

That was an auction that did not provide much information. Who makes this? What is the "real" name (A search using the title in the auction only provided the auction item. A better link would be appreciated.

Looks interesting as I have a hard drive lying around...
------
Roscoe

------
Roscoe

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 31-Oct-05 02:06 PM
1550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

I've been doing a bit of research of late myself and here are a few more products you may want to consider:

1) Burn direct from your CF card to a DVD or CD without a computer with this device: http://www.picstop.co.uk/Portable-Storage---Viewers/DigiMagic-DM220-24X-External-CD-Burner

2) Treat yourself to a portable DVD player at the same time with this http://www.shincoav.com.hk/eng/product/features_r99_h7.htm Added: Sorry, this is a media player and not a DVD player.

3) An alternative to CoolWalker is the FlashTrax. See review here http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03030217smartdiskflashtrax.asp

I prefer to be able to view the pictures after you have copied them from your flash card onto the mass storage device. Of course, there is still the risk of loosing the lot if the hard disk packs up. The CD/DVD burner looks good if it verifies what it has written (not sure).

john

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 31-Oct-05 04:21 PM
#11. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 10

Philadelphia, US

Hi John,

The DigiMagic drive looked very interesting. The only problem is that according to Expansys it's been discontinued. It isn't shown on the DigiMagic web site either. They have an 8X model, but no one seems to be stocking it. That's not a great sign. They also have a DVD unit which on paper looks good, but I'm already a little wary of this company's products based on their quick discontinuation of the 24X model and the problem that no one seems to be really stocking their stuff at this point. The other thing is I can't find an independent review of their products. The reviews I found merely regurgitate DigiMagic's own press releases. These reviews are those "First Look" reviews on which no on can depend. If you come across an independent "hands-on" review of their products by someone who actually put it through its paces let us know.

The Shinco doesn't record so that's of no value to store photos.

The FlashTrax is well known, as it's been out for some time. The 40GB version costs more than 50% more than the Coolwalker. Its screen is 3.6" versus 2.5" which is good, but unless I was looking for a multimedia player the extra expense would definitely not be worth it to me.

Have you seen any other portable CD or DVD writers in the UK which might be interesting. I haven't seen any in the US, which is why I'm still using my laptop's writer when traveling in conjunction with compactdrive portable hard drive.

Ned

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 31-Oct-05 04:59 PM
1550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 11

UK

>Hi John,
>
>The DigiMagic drive looked very interesting. The only
>problem is that according to Expansys it's been
>discontinued. It isn't shown on the DigiMagic web site
>either. They have an 8X model, but no one seems to be
>stocking it. That's not a great sign. They also have a DVD
>unit which on paper looks good, but I'm already a little
>wary of this company's products based on their quick
>discontinuation of the 24X model and the problem that no one
>seems to be really stocking their stuff at this point. The
>other thing is I can't find an independent review of their
>products. The reviews I found merely regurgitate
>DigiMagic's own press releases. These reviews are those
>"First Look" reviews on which no on can depend. If you come
>across an independent "hands-on" review of their products by
>someone who actually put it through its paces let us know.
>

That's odd because I got this on Digi-Magic's website http://www.digi-magic.com/digimagicdvd.htm I also did a Google search and got this http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=DigiMagic%20DM220

I must admit, it is a rather pricy piece of kit.

>The Shinco doesn't record so that's of no value to store
>photos.
>

That's a great shame. I was under the impression that you can 'copy' from CF to HD. I'll do more research.

>Have you seen any other portable CD or DVD writers in the UK
>which might be interesting. I haven't seen any in the US,
>which is why I'm still using my laptop's writer when
>traveling in conjunction with compactdrive portable hard
>drive.
>

Check the Google link I gave.

If you are looking for a very reasonably priced portable storage, check this out http://www.allcam.biz/products/camera_storage_otg.htm

john

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 31-Oct-05 10:48 PM
#14. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 13

Philadelphia, US

Hi Again,

The DigiMagic link goes to the DVD unit I mentioned in my last post. It looks as though Card Media is the only company to carry it in stock as other companies say they'll special order it for you. I'm still wary of this company as mentioned in my last post.

I've looked at Shinco again after reading your post and you're right, these units can pull your photos from your CF cards. I can't really get my hands around their units, however, after reading their specifications. I know what it says, but there's just not enough of the information I'm looking for. I haven't found an independent review of their products either.

With regard to AllCam, I just don't know enough about them at this point, or about their units. Cheaper isn't necessarily cheaper however. My philosophy is that high quality products are often less expensive over the long haul, even when they carry a higher cost in the beginning. I believe the old adage is generally true, "You get what you pay for." Of course, that doesn't mean I'm just going to go out and buy the most expensive item.

Ned

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 12:08 PM
#21. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 14

UK

Hi Ned,

I came accross this http://www.apacer.com/en/products/Disc_Steno_CP80.htm CD burner (pity not DVD) and it has good user reviews. My local dealer http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/ is offering a different model at £29.30 today only. I believe there are dealers in the US for this device.

john

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 02-Nov-05 11:26 PM
#27. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 21

Philadelphia, US

Thanks, I'm going to take a look at it, and drill into the Internet for a review or two.

Ned

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

edoruan Basic MemberTue 15-Nov-05 04:29 PM
724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 14

New York, US

Hi, Ned

I'm the guy with the W98SE Sony 505 problem. I'm just curious that no one has suggested an iPod for backing up iamges while on the go? In addition to the photo function, you can have music. For me, the only thing that makes practical sense is using a basic notebook. Most travelers would benifit from being able to really see and edit the images. In addition, one can have travel information in text files and a word processor and Quicken. A 12" iBook is $1,000 in the USA, but you pay $250 to $350 or more for these devices that do just one thing.

I spent a lot of money on equipment in 2005, and I'll be spending a lot more on travel in 2006, but, in the end, a notebook makes the most sense.

By the way, back in the old World of Film, I was a pro shooter. I'm retired now.

Edo

Edo

dark13star Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 31-Oct-05 04:37 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Hi Rick:

I almost always have a laptop with me when I travel, but for times when I am someplace that I don't want to carry one (back country, kayak, etc.) I carry a Belkin iPod adaptor and my iPod. It is not the fastest device and the batteries only last for 8-10 transfers (1 and 2 Gig cards), but it means I can use a device I already have and one I almost always carry. I can't view my RAW photos on the iPod, but that is fine with me, I edit when I get to a computer.

One important point though. I rarely delete the cards before I get everything onto a computer and backed up. This is more of a field backup for me. All devices fail, and I just like to have multiple copies. If I need to delete cards, I am very anxious until I can sync my iPod up with a computer.

Richard Caccavale
A Nikonian in Colorado
"I would be an historian as Herodotus was..." Charles Olson
http://herodot.us
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richcaccavale/sets/

dannybirdie Registered since 11th Jun 2004Mon 31-Oct-05 10:50 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Rick,

My suggestion would be to get the Epson P-2000. This is available with a 40GB drive, and a excellent 3.8" Photo Fine LCD screen, which has a very high resolution of 212 ppi. The LCD is so fine, that it is difficult to see the acutal LCD pixels.

The charger that it comes with is a universal charger, specd at 100-240V, 50-60 Hz.

It has CompactFlash® Type I/Type II and IBM Microdrive™ (3.3 Volt), and Secure Digital and Multi Media card slots. Memory Stick®, xD Picture Card, and Smart Media™ supported with optional third-party CF adapter, are sold separately.

The best part is that it handles RAW viewing. Another recommendation would be to shoot in RAW, since you have 40GB available. At approx 5-10MB per RAW, you are looking at 4000-8000 images, or 1000 images/day of storage for your 8 day trip. I think that would be plenty.

The specs are located here. Oh, BTW, there is also an 80GB version available, called the P-4000.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Specs&oid=49164278&category=Products

Have fun!

Regards,
Danny
Photography by Danny
http://www.dannybirdie.com

AndrewFromCanada Silver Member Charter MemberWed 02-Nov-05 11:50 PM
1314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 15

Victoria, CA

I love my Epson. It performs well and the battery life is good enough not to be a slave to the grid (Coolwalkers apparently have limited battery power).

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 31-Oct-05 11:07 PM
#16. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

Just stumbled into this site that lists every known portable storage devices for the photographer.. http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/portableHD.htm

john

skamaraju Basic MemberTue 01-Nov-05 01:34 AM
96 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 16

Guntur, IN

I think iPod 30GB or 60GB with Belkin tranfer device works good too.
sushil

sushil

tbedon Registered since 02nd Mar 2007Tue 01-Nov-05 02:43 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 17

Baltimore, US

Just this past summer I spent about 2 1/2 weeks in Northern Italy. I posed much the same question to Nikonians regarding the electricity issue and was correctly informed that the charger for my D70 and my Epson p-2000 would work correctly with only a plug adapter. The Epson p-2000 functioned perfectly and can also support RAW images. I shoot RAW and jpeg basic at the same time and the Epson can do several 1 gig cards on a single charge. The screen is simply amazing. I struggled with a similar choice between the Epson p-2000 and the Photo I-pod right before I left last summer and finally decided on the Epson because of the screen size and quality, the built-in card slots, ease of use, replacable and recgargable battery unit, and the support for RAW images. The Epsons were somewhat difficult to get several months ago, but I think it is easier now.

Tony

escribaj Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 09:19 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 17

Detroit, US

I tried this about a year ago last Spring. Transfer from a 1GB Microdrive took over a half hour. If I remember right, the iPod's (3rd generation/30GB) battery was beginning to die before it completed. The thing about the Belkin was that it also required batteries which could not be gauged; if those batteries were dead, no transfer.

Downloading with non-Microdrives and smaller capacity cards might have been OK. Since the Belkin connected through the bottom of the iPod, you couldn't put it on the charger while transfering either. I think that was the last time I used it.

This thread is prompting me to try it again with my 60GB video iPod and Sandisk Extreme Ultra II 1GB CF card. I'll post back with my results.

Joe
http://www.edgewood-digital.com/

Joe
http://www.edgewood-digital.com/

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 01-Nov-05 03:17 AM
#19. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 16

Philadelphia, US

Great find! I'm bookmarking that link in my browser!

Ned

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

mauiglide Registered since 01st Nov 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 08:14 AM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Storing images while traveling"
In response to Reply # 0

Maui, US

After I placed my order for my D70s the other week, I started thinking about how limited I would be with just one CF card (1 GB of memory). So I decided to order another CF card. Then I thought I just didn't want to be stifled with a limited amount of storage. So I did a bit of research and found the Nikon Coolwalker to my liking. I know that there are other portable hard drives that had a bit more space. But I liked the idea of the LCD viewer incorporated in the drive and the option of using a USB cord to upload my photos to my computer and being able to use the Coolwalker as a reader. In addition, the Coolwalker has the Nikon moniker on it:).

Carpe Diem!

MvdN72 Registered since 20th Oct 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 12:23 PM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Storing images while traveling"
In response to Reply # 20

Oudewater, NL

I use the Apacer disc steno cp200, which burns cd's directly from CF-cards. Works perfectly, even with 1GB cards and multiple cd's. I cannot remeber exactly, but I think it costed about 170 euro's. Enjoy your trip, and greetings from Europe

Marcel, The Netherlands

dark13star Registered since 31st Oct 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 12:50 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Storing images while traveling"
In response to Reply # 22

Denver, US

Could you let us know how it deals with larger volumes than fit on a CD? You said it works with 1 GB cards. I have mostly 2GB cards and I wonder if it would automatically split the data onto multiple CDs.

I am not sure if I would trust this solution though. I never want optical media to be my only copy. I generally like to have my laptop copy and a burned DVD while I am out. Sometimes I even mail the DVD home separately, so I am not likely to lose both. Call me paranoid, but I see media fail a lot working with servers. When I do use my iPod for field backup, I avoid deleting chips unless I absolutely need more space. There does come a time when getting the shot at all is more important than having multiple media copies, but it is worrisome.

Richard Caccavale
A Nikonian in Colorado
"I would be an historian as Herodotus was..." Charles Olson
http://herodot.us
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richcaccavale/sets/

robesse Basic MemberTue 01-Nov-05 08:27 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

Chico, US

I have an Archos Gmini 220. Its not the best thing out there but it has been reliable and has a lot of storage for the money. It does come with a Euro electrical adapter and it doubles as a decent MP3 player.

See it on B&H here:
http://shorl.com/dulaprypyrure

-- Rob S

two hour lunch Registered since 19th Sep 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 06:30 AM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 23

US

I struggled with the same thing when I went to Paris for a big birthday--I dreaded the idea of lugging a laptop over there, but, I was so glad I did. We watched DVDs on a long layover and in our hotel room late at night; before bed every night I copied the day's photos to the laptop and give them a glance to see how they turned out.

On the last day, I burned a CD (or two!) of the photos so I was triple-protected--the files were on my hard drive; on CDs; and I left them on the cards. All those files gave me something to do on the long flight home.

No power issues at all; though somehow I ended up bringing an incorrectly sized power adapter, so I borrowed one from the hotel.

Two hour lunch
Lead me not into temptation; I can find it myself. Rita Mae Brown

MvdN72 Registered since 20th Oct 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 05:31 PM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 25

Oudewater, NL

In reply to 'dark13star'

My Apacer device can deal with it when the storage space on the CF-card is more than on one cd. It sees that, and tells you that you'll need to have more cd's ready. It nicely puts all images in folders on the cd's.

When a cd isn't fully burned, you can also write more data on it later (without damaging your previous contents). So far it has nof failed me yet, and works just fine.

I also do not trust keeping images on cd only. Back home everything is backup-ed on my external hard disc. Hope this helps,

Marcel

doogienj Basic MemberFri 04-Nov-05 03:40 PM
401 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

Brooklyn, US

I just LOVE my Epson P-2000 data storage/digital photo album. First off it's very portable, it has a slot to insert your CF card, so no readers are needed, it handles JPG and RAW, and I could only wish the my PC monitor was as sharp as the screen on the P-2000.

It's great after being out shooting a whole day on vacation, to download your pictures and view them over dinner. They I transfer them to my PC when I return. You can probably take up to 10,000 pictures before you need to unload. Oh, and if you want it it, it stores pictures in seperate albums for each download.

Cheers,

Douglas

dave68 Basic MemberFri 04-Nov-05 04:07 PM
280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 31

UK

I just LOVE my Nikon Coolwalker data storage/digital photo album. First off it's very portable, it has a slot to insert your CF card, so no readers are needed, it handles JPG and RAW, and I could only wish the my PC monitor was as sharp as the screen on the Coolwalker.
It's great after being out shooting a whole day on vacation, to download your pictures and view them over dinner. Then I transfer them to my PC when I return. You can probably take up to 10,000 pictures before you need to unload. Oh, and it automatically stores pictures in seperate albums for each download.

It is portable - I carry it on my belt - battery life is excellent, but because I download in my hotel room 99% of the time this is not an issue.

Cheers,

DaveG

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Fri 04-Nov-05 04:31 PM
#33. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 32

UK

DaveG (Coolwalker) v Douglas (Epson P2000)
£392 v £319

john

mureena Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Fri 04-Nov-05 04:59 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

FI

I've been using a Nikon MSV-01 together with 2 x 2 Gb Extreme III cards for almost a year now. Could not have placed my money in a better product.

Vilhelm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/sets/

dave68 Basic MemberSat 05-Nov-05 08:09 AM
280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 34

UK

Sorry to disappoint - I paid £320 for my Coolwalker by haggling.

It is allowed you know?

DaveG

Richz Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 07-Nov-05 01:24 PM
#42. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 34

US

mureena,

I also have been using the Coolwalker, since September. However I think I'm going to purchase another battery for it.I seem to want more use from the unit than the battery can handle. It's size, design and performance fit my needs.

DutchD70 Registered since 07th Sep 2004Sat 05-Nov-05 09:59 AM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

Nijkerk, NL

i suggest a Hitachi 6 Gig hd drive.
no fuss !

Murphy was wrong
He should have known better

pieter
the netherlands

<p align="center"><font color="yellow" size="3" face="Arial Black">the Netherlands</font></p]

edoruan Basic MemberTue 15-Nov-05 01:59 AM
724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Digital gear, like notebooks and rechargers, automatically adjust to all common electric systems. All you need is a convertor plug, which you can get in any local hardware store over there.

By the way, I have a similar tech problem posted.

Edoruan

Edo

steveoa Registered since 06th Nov 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 10:04 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Storing images while travelling"
In response to Reply # 0

Fareham, UK

Hi, just taken delivery of a SmartDisk FlashTrax XT, which has a 40GB HD and a 3.6" screen, - early days but seems ok so far.
Got it from WarehouseExpress - £229 inc a 5 card reader .
Will update after more use.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #90729 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.