Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #86501
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photos Dull?" Previous topic | Next topic
zonk Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Mon 19-Dec-05 10:31 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photos Dull?"

I have just returned from a 10 day trip in Mexico on the west coast. When I got home and reviewed the shots almost every photo taken has a dull appearance to it and when I use the quick fix feature in Photoshop it lightens all the photos. On my D70 I have the image setting set to Photoshop and almost all of the photos taken were outside with the kit lense. I shot on JPEG fine large and used a Lexar 2X card. All of the other settings are default. Is there a setting that I need to change? I am using a UV filter on the lense and most of the situations were clear sunny days. The shot that really pointed out the dullness was a city shot down a partially sunlit alley, even the blue sky was dull? Thoughts?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photos Dull?
elayaoen
19th Dec 2005
sixgun
19th Dec 2005
canuck
19th Dec 2005
manubmengi
21st Dec 2005
dark13star
20th Dec 2005
RECH12
20th Dec 2005
MstrBones Silver Member
20th Dec 2005
Equis25
20th Dec 2005
cgaengineer
20th Dec 2005
bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources
21st Dec 2005
vipros
22nd Dec 2005
bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources
22nd Dec 2005
jaytheman
23rd Dec 2005
jku
23rd Dec 2005
owl Platinum Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Dec 2005
mureena
29th Dec 2005

elayaoen Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Mon 19-Dec-05 10:54 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area - California,

zonk,
you may want to read this thread.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID86/15189.html#1

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Mon 19-Dec-05 10:59 PM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

-Use Color Mode II (Nikon Adobe 98) vs Color Mode 1 (sRGB). Use IIIA for a wild ride on landscapes.
-For color intensity use "enhanced".
-If you use matrix meter shoot with a +,3 to .5 EV compensation. Matrix meters for highlights as a result you can get the mids being kind of dull.
-Consider bumping up the contrast setting up one.

These are great for travel type photos, maybe not so good for portraits.

But the REAL solution (so you don't regret your "mistakes")
Shoot and learn to process RAW. If you miss it the first time you can bring a lot of punch back.

canuck Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 19-Dec-05 11:57 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

Windsor, CA

When I first used my D70 in December, 2004 I had the same complaint. Thanks to advice obtained here on Nikonians, my current default settings are:

Exposure compensation +0.3
Sharpening (Normal or +1)
Tone comp Auto
Color mode IIIa for landscapes, Ia for portraits
Saturation Enhanced
Hue adjustment 0
White balance Cloudy (set from -1 to -3 depending on light)

Also, expose to the right of the histogram.
I primarily shoot JPEG Large Fine and get great shots right out of the camera with minimal post processing required.
Good luck!

Canuck

D200
18-200VR, 50 1.8, 70-300G
SB-600, MB-D200

manubmengi Registered since 19th Jul 2004Wed 21-Dec-05 07:37 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 3

IN

>
>Also, expose to the right of the histogram.

hi canuk,

one simple question.......
how to expose to the right of the histogram?????

thanks in advance
dr manu

dark13star Registered since 31st Oct 2005Tue 20-Dec-05 12:39 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

I agree with the others on settings. There is no perfect setting for everything, so learn what they do. However, I generally find that positive exposure compensation is important.

Also, I now shoot raw for everything, even if it is just snapshots. I can always batch them into jpegs, but if you shoot in jpeg, you can never get back the lost data. I have spent the last month really learning how to process raw and working with ACR and Capture (I just got the latter) and now I really feel limited when I go back to an older jpeg image and process for printing.

Finally, what is the quality of your filter? Is it clean on both sides? There is no compelling reason to use UV filters on digital, other than protecting the lens (IMHO), and I am now giving up on anything other than ND filters for exposure compensation. I would rather shoot through less glass. It does seem to make a difference in sharpness.

Good luck.

Rich

Richard Caccavale
A Nikonian in Colorado
"I would be an historian as Herodotus was..." Charles Olson
http://herodot.us
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richcaccavale/sets/

RECH12 Registered since 05th Nov 2004Tue 20-Dec-05 03:34 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

I had this problem with a D70 I purchased in November 2004.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 20-Dec-05 04:16 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Zonk,

Can you post an example photo or two?

Since your photos are jpeg, you'll have to fiddle around in your image editor and possibly get back some of the color and punch that you'd like to see. Try Hue, saturation, HMS.

I've spent a lot of time in the Caribbean. In Cozumel, the hazy days sometimes muted photos taken that encompassed larger scenes. Is that what you are seeing?

Contrary to the silly post to get rid of your D70 for a 350D, I'd say you just need to use the various custom settings and take a look at your lenses, then consider RAW.

Regards,

""

Equis25 Registered since 02nd Jan 2005Tue 20-Dec-05 05:37 PM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

Utica, US

zonk,

There's an excellent post a few pages back that you may want to take a look at. It's topic #15189 by J3R. This deals with "Great pictures straight from the D70". Rgds,

HERMAN

cgaengineer Registered since 31st Oct 2005Tue 20-Dec-05 08:40 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

Winder, US

Can I refer you to this thread, very useful and a big difference in color and sharpness. I use these settings in both of my D70's now.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID86/15189.html#0

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Wed 21-Dec-05 07:52 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Mark,

On my D70 I have the image setting set to Photoshop

What do you mean by this?

What mode are you using?
What color mode are you useing?

It would help a lot to see a sample.
IMO, without more input from you this thread could be way off target.

Bill

Visit me at My site

vipros Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 22-Dec-05 02:08 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

All above said are true. However there is another fact that makes the photo a dull appearance: monitor calibration. Generally speaking tube monitor is much brighter and more colorful than most LCD monitor.

--
visit My Photo Gallery @ http://www.vipros.com/photo

--
My Gallery @ http://www.vipros.com/gallery

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Thu 22-Dec-05 03:34 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 11

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Felix,

Good point although the original post seems to indicate that they can be "fixed" in Photoshop; so I'm thinking Color Mode or some other similar setting rather than the monitor.

Bill

Visit me at My site

jaytheman Registered since 14th Aug 2004Fri 23-Dec-05 04:55 AM
659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

Belmont, US

Did you ever post one of the pictures somewhere with its relevant shooting data? I believe you will get more helpful comments this way vs. generalizations which may or may not apply.

Jay

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Fri 23-Dec-05 10:03 AM
1550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 13

UK

Zonk may not have a location where he could post a sample picture. Perhaps yourself or some other kind member may offer to post a picture here on his behalf?

john

owl Platinum Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Jun 2002Fri 23-Dec-05 03:17 PM
7417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have removed several posts in this thread which had NOTHING to do
with the original poster's question and in fact were approaching disrespectful.
Let's stick to the question at hand
please and see what we can do to help out.

Thank you for your understanding.

-Lela

"If you ever
drop your camera into a river of
molten lava, let it go because,
man, it's gone."

"If you ever drop your camera
into a river of molten lava,
let it go because, man, it's gone."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mureena Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Thu 29-Dec-05 03:24 AM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Photos Dull?"
In response to Reply # 0

FI

sixgun nails it I think.

A couple of examples would also help highlight your problem better. I have also noticed that when comparing the same photos on different computer screens the differences are wild. Never make final judgements on color unless you are using a color-mode compatible screen that has been calibrated.

Vilhelm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/sets/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #86501 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.