nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #80692
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s" Previous topic | Next topic
zorch Registered since 17th Sep 2004Sun 15-Jan-06 11:48 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"

Moscow, RU

I was taking pictures of dancing with my N90s in a rather dark place once and saw another fellow with D70. I asked him if I could try his camera. My first impression was that the viewfinder of D70 was much brighter but focusing speed was much slower than that of my N90s, almost as slow as that of digital P&S's. Maybe I did something wrong; it was the first time I held D70 in my hands. I also must say that I had a flash with an AF-assist light on my camera.

I will appreciate any comments on this.

Best regards,
Denis Kazakov

Best regards,
Denis
http://www.denis-kazakov.name

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s
edmun
16th Jan 2006
zorch
16th Jan 2006
edmun
16th Jan 2006
zorch
16th Jan 2006
kytribefan21
17th Jan 2006
zorch
17th Jan 2006
henrya41
17th Jan 2006
edmun
17th Jan 2006
jwenting Silver Member
17th Jan 2006
simonsi
17th Jan 2006
alexkharris
20th Jan 2006
zorch
17th Jan 2006
edmun
17th Jan 2006
FrankAtlanta
17th Jan 2006
simonsi
17th Jan 2006
zorch
20th Jan 2006

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 16-Jan-06 01:20 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

Focus is slower.

ledmun

zorch Registered since 17th Sep 2004Mon 16-Jan-06 02:13 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 1

Moscow, RU

So it is slower. Did anybody use it for sports? What were your impressions?

Best regards,
Denis Kazakov

Best regards,
Denis

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 16-Jan-06 07:24 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

It really depends on what sport and what lens.

The 70-200vr, 18-70, kit lens focus fast the others I do not know about.

ledmun

zorch Registered since 17th Sep 2004Mon 16-Jan-06 11:53 AM
#4. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 3

Moscow, RU

Ok, got it. Let's see if anybody else adds anything.

Best regards,
Denis Kazakov

Best regards,
Denis

kytribefan21 Registered since 11th Dec 2005Tue 17-Jan-06 12:44 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 0

Crescent Springs, US

I have a Tamron lens and 3 Nikon lenses. The 3 Nikon lenses focus pretty quickly, but the Tamron is substantially slower, so I think it depends on what lens you are using.

Mark

zorch Registered since 17th Sep 2004Tue 17-Jan-06 12:53 AM
#6. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 5

Moscow, RU

I have one lens by Sigma, all others are by Nikon. I shoot film now but consider going digital one day. However this experience made me think that maybe I will need a more advanced camera than D70.

Best regards,
Denis Kazakov

Best regards,
Denis

henrya41 Registered since 21st Nov 2005Tue 17-Jan-06 12:57 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 6

washington, US

I never used an N90s, but my current D70s focuses MUCH fater than my old N80 ever did. Maybe i'm just comparing apples and oranges, but i've been very happy with the speed of the D70s.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 17-Jan-06 01:05 AM
#8. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 7

eugene, US

n90 and F100 are quicker to focus than the N80/f80 and the D70 is faster than the N80 but slower than the F100 especially in low light.

ledmun

jwenting Silver Member Nikonian since 06th May 2002Tue 17-Jan-06 10:03 AM
2118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 8

Almere,

how can the D70 focus the same lens faster than the F80? They use the same CAM900 module and thus have the same sensor suit and engines.

any size is fullframe for a given definition of frame

simonsi Registered since 17th Apr 2003Tue 17-Jan-06 12:14 PM
1285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 13

Auckland, NZ

Could be if the motors in each body driving the screwdrivers are different power or run at different speeds.

The CAM module may be the same but that only affects the speed of decision-making (ie in- or out-of-focus, direction to drive etc), once the decision is made then the physics of the drivetrain come into play, motor speed/power and gearing of the lens focussing mechanism.

Cheers

Simon

A New Zealand Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

alexkharris Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Fri 20-Jan-06 02:01 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 14

Augusta, US

Although the F100, N90, etc do have a faster screw drive mechanism, the type of lens must be taken into consideration also. The AFS lenses (such as the 18-70 kit lens) do not rely on the screw drive, rather they use the silent wave motor. In this case, the CAM module would be the decisive factor and not the turns of the screw. That said, I do not know which lenses were being used at the time.

zorch Registered since 17th Sep 2004Tue 17-Jan-06 02:00 AM
#9. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 7

Moscow, RU

Maybe I am wrong but I think I heard that D70s focuses faster than D70.

Did you try to shoot action with it?

Best regards,
Denis Kazakov

Best regards,
Denis

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 17-Jan-06 02:10 AM
#10. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 9

eugene, US

I have shot jousting and Indian Ceremonial dancers inside a gym with the 80-200 f2.8 D and it works fine. The 28-105 works for running horses as does the 18-70. The D70 will miss about 5% of the dancers. Outside it works fine.

The D70 will follow horses running out side with the 80-200 f2.8.

The F100 is much better and the D2x which I do not own is also better.

Put the focus on C once it locks on it will follow focus fine.

The camera has trouble tracking brides coming down a dark isle as the side sensors do not lock on as well as the center sensor.

ledmun

FrankAtlanta Registered since 04th Dec 2004Tue 17-Jan-06 04:07 AM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 10

Atlanta, US

Couple of items that may make a difference:

Original poster noted he had a speedlight with focus assist on. Don't think the D70(s) built-in focus assist is nearly as powerful as a flash unit's focus assist (at least, it doesn't appear as strong as my SB800's).

Also, may have a been a difference between focus priority - the D70 may/may not have been set to either AF-S or AF-C. AF-S places focus priority above shutter release; AF-C provides continuous focus and places shutter release over focus priority.

A combination of AF-S and lack of either a speedlight focus assist (or the body's focus assist may have been turned-off) may have - at least from a perceptual basis - indicated slower focusing.

In short, don't doubt your perception, but there may have been some variables that accounted for differences. If you're contemplating a D70(s), you may want to do a side-by-side comparison in a shop or with a friend.

Good luck,
Frank

simonsi Registered since 17th Apr 2003Tue 17-Jan-06 08:39 AM
1285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 0

Auckland, NZ

Take your lens off the camera and look at the mount end. Count how many turns the screwdriver makes while the focus moves from one extreme to the other, from memory the Nikon 28-105 is about 4 turns, the Nikon 70-300 G about 14 turns. This gearing will drastically affect how well the camera can follow a target and how quickly it will focus (although it may depend how out-of-focus it was when you pressed the shutter button).

The Pro cameras such as the F100 etc have the ability to turn the screwdriver faster than the prosumer bodies, good quality glass such as the 28-105 and 80-200 will have better gearing as above, (AF-S even quicker), however mount a 70-300G on an F100 and it can still take a while to focus....

Cheers

Simon

A New Zealand Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

zorch Registered since 17th Sep 2004Fri 20-Jan-06 11:12 AM
#15. "RE: Focusing speed: D70 vs N90s"
In response to Reply # 12

Moscow, RU

Thanks to all who answered!

Best regards,
Denis Kazakov

Best regards,
Denis

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #80692 Previous topic | Next topic