nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Just picked up a used D70. A few questions.

somename

1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
somename Registered since 27th Mar 2006
Tue 28-Mar-06 08:56 AM

Hi all. I just bought a D70 with some cosmetic damages for a good price but noticed a couple of oddities, and I wanted to figure out if I could live with the quirks or if I should resell the camera as parts camera. I hope I can get some comments from you.

The first issue is with the hot shoe. I have sb80 and sb26 I used with D1 cameras, and the D70 I got, while it sync with the flashes, won't communicate with the speedlights, f-info, ISO info etc. Communication issue isn't a huge deal to me, but I wonder whatever fault the hot-shoe circuitry currently has would deteriote further or develope other problems?

The second issue is with the focusing screen. The focusing screen on D70 has 2 viertical lines going through on each side of the screen and also has a square etched in off-center. This puzzles me as the markings on the screens couldn't have been on there accidentally, and the pictures of the focusing screens I found on google don't have these markings. What further puzzles me is that I didn't see the markings in the viewfinder initially but suddenly appeared later. I could always get a new screen but I wonder if there's a problem with the prism?

Thanks a lot for your help.

G