Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #69432
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just picked up a used D70. A few questions." Previous topic | Next topic
somename Registered since 27th Mar 2006Tue 28-Mar-06 08:56 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just picked up a used D70. A few questions."

Hi all. I just bought a D70 with some cosmetic damages for a good price but noticed a couple of oddities, and I wanted to figure out if I could live with the quirks or if I should resell the camera as parts camera. I hope I can get some comments from you.

The first issue is with the hot shoe. I have sb80 and sb26 I used with D1 cameras, and the D70 I got, while it sync with the flashes, won't communicate with the speedlights, f-info, ISO info etc. Communication issue isn't a huge deal to me, but I wonder whatever fault the hot-shoe circuitry currently has would deteriote further or develope other problems?

The second issue is with the focusing screen. The focusing screen on D70 has 2 viertical lines going through on each side of the screen and also has a square etched in off-center. This puzzles me as the markings on the screens couldn't have been on there accidentally, and the pictures of the focusing screens I found on google don't have these markings. What further puzzles me is that I didn't see the markings in the viewfinder initially but suddenly appeared later. I could always get a new screen but I wonder if there's a problem with the prism?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 28-Mar-06 10:10 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just picked up a used D70. A few questions."
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

There are only 2 flashes that talk to the D70 -- SB 600 and SB800

There are a lot of power traces in the viewfinder. If they are regular shaped that is what they are.

ledmun

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 28-Mar-06 10:00 PM
2871 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just picked up a used D70. A few questions."
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

As mentioned before, only the Nikon SB 600 and 800 communicate with the camera. You therefore probably don't have a faulty hotshoe.

My D70S, and I assume the same to be true for the D70, has on-demand gridlines in the viewfinder that can be turned on or off through the menu. These gridlines are to assist with composition and getting horizons straight, etc. Maybe you turned the grid display on in the menu at some stage?

Are you sure the etched, off-centre square is not actually one of the five auto-focus points? These can be selected individually through the rocker switch on the right-hand side of the LCD screen at the back of the camera (only in P S A M modes). The selected focus point shows up more bold than the others when the camera is switched on and operating. To be able to select the appropriate focus point, the slider switch immediately below the rocker switch should not be set in L (locked) mode.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

wailingtoad Registered since 28th Oct 2005Tue 28-Mar-06 11:17 PM
1202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just picked up a used D70. A few questions."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Did you get a manual with your used D70? If not, you can download a PDF version from the Nikon web site. In fact, I find it useful to have the PDF version on hand as I can easily search for things

Jon

Jon Davis
My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery
My Epson R2880 Tips & Tricks blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #69432 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.