Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #63325
View in linear mode

Subject: "Convince me!" Previous topic | Next topic
sphoto Registered since 29th Dec 2005Tue 10-Jan-06 12:58 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Convince me!"

Shinglehouse, US

I have come this close to purchasing a D70S but after reading some of the comments about all the little things that can or do go wrong I am slowly withdrawing my desire to go with this camera. Someone please share with me why I SHOULD go ahead and get this instead of a Canon or Fuji! I was looking to purchase a couple of bodies, a couple of lenses, memory cards, and several accessories. Already purchased a compact storage device.

I have used Nikon film cameras for years. Point, shoot, send the film for developing. Simple. Seems like digital is a lot of work to get a good exposure and right now a lot of time.

Someone, please sell me on this investment.

Thanks,
Dane

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Convince me!
m1abrams
10th Jan 2006
keithreeder
10th Jan 2006
edmun
10th Jan 2006
jackdale
10th Jan 2006
drichi
10th Jan 2006
westgapeach
10th Jan 2006
hwdx347 Silver Member
10th Jan 2006
mureena
10th Jan 2006
JW
10th Jan 2006
F2AS
10th Jan 2006
DRWedge
10th Jan 2006
m1abrams
10th Jan 2006
sphoto
10th Jan 2006
aonaran
02nd May 2006
DRWedge
10th Jan 2006
barrycanada
10th Jan 2006
Gruverzranch Silver Member
04th Feb 2006
dclarhorn Moderator
10th Jan 2006
barrycanada
10th Jan 2006
fir3bird
10th Jan 2006
doogienj
10th Jan 2006
mikeacollins
10th Jan 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
10th Jan 2006
Grog
11th Jan 2006
sphoto
11th Jan 2006
jgrimm
11th Jan 2006
srosengard
11th Jan 2006
sphoto
12th Jan 2006
Hangfire77
12th Jan 2006
willil
02nd Feb 2006
Harley
04th Feb 2006
bew Silver Member
02nd Feb 2006
Dave MC
03rd Feb 2006
cgaengineer
03rd Feb 2006
Robbo
03rd Feb 2006
kschultz76
03rd Feb 2006
TampaNikon1
04th Feb 2006
kschultz76
04th Feb 2006
Frenchie
04th Feb 2006
RS_D70
02nd May 2006
Richz
02nd May 2006
aonaran
02nd May 2006

m1abrams Registered since 14th Dec 2005Tue 10-Jan-06 01:25 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Manassas, US

Keep this in mind with ANY public forum that is not moderated a lot. You will always see more "problem" posts than "i love this product" posts. Simply because well people post to get help, not praise something.

The only really widespread issue the D70 has had was the BGLOB fault that was only seen in early model D70. And this has been covered by Nikon at no expense to the buyer, in fact they extended the warrenty period just for this.

Also the battery problem, however many people got their free batteries and in some cases upgraded free batteries (i got an upgraded battery). Now I don't really list this as a problem cause I have yet to see a post of someone having any battery related problem. It seems Nikon decided to nip a foreseen issue in the bud before it happened.

So with those two above being the biggest issues I know of, Nikon has done a stellar job handling them. I was only affected by the battery one and found getting the replacement battery to be completely painless.

So Nikon as a company I have been very happy with, however I only have 1 year experience with them. Hopefully other more experienced users will post.

The D70 I have I could not be happier with. Takes great photos has every feature I need as a beginning photographer. When I looked at the Canon 300 (the 350 was not out at the time), I found the Canon offering to be much more limited in features and most importantly speed. I also found the body to feel very flimsy compared to the Nikon. Those are all my opinions so take them as just that, opinions of very much a beginner. The kit lens of the Nikon was also much higer ranked than the Canon, and since I was just starting in DSLR I needed a good starter lens.

keithreeder Registered since 10th Nov 2005Tue 10-Jan-06 01:27 PM
312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Blyth, GB

How about "because Canons and Fujis are every bit as prone to problems, faults and failures as Nikon..."?

Fuji DSLRs are really Nikons in all but name, incidentally...

(I also fully concur with the last paragraph of the post above: my D70 is the Love Of My Life!)

Blyth
Northumberland
England

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 10-Jan-06 01:28 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

In my camera club we have a spattering of Nikon's and Canon's.

I was surprised at how many Nikon D70's failed. a lot

Then I started getting replies from the Canon owner's it was even more precentage wise.

Consumer reports give the failure rate of Nikon at 8% and Canon at 5% --

but my experience is that Nikon service is better than Canon and Nikon does answer their phone.

I like Nikon better. I used to have Canon but sold it because I did not like their logic and design.

ledmun

jackdale Basic MemberTue 10-Jan-06 02:21 PM
170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 3

Calgary, CA

The Internet, web sites such as this and the myriad of other discussion forums, have permitted a great exchange of information about cameras. I suspect that problems are highlighted more than successes.

I compared both Canons and the D70s. The D70s won out because of its features, especially the kits lens. I also went to a camera store and held both. The D70s felt better in my hands.

I bought my camera in August. Neither the BGLOD or the battery have presented a problem.

You might compare cameras to cars. Many folks are intensely loyal to a particular brand. Almost all brands have been subject to recalls.

Whatever discussion you make, if you pick one that has the features and price you like, and feels good, you will be happy with the results. You will need to convince yourself.

Jack

My Nikonians gallery

drichi Basic MemberTue 10-Jan-06 02:15 PM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

GW

Most of those problems---BLOG, the battery recall---were for the D70. Those did not affect the D70s.

It is true that if you read these post, it often seems that there are many problems with the D70. As has been mentioned, the vast majority of people here haven't had a problem, but don't post saying that. Considering all that must have been sold by now, you really don't hear or read many bad things about the D70 series.

I don't own a Canon and have nothing against them. I am sure that they are good cameras. I do suspect they have occasional problems too.

As far as ease of use goes, it is easier to take a photo and send it to someone else to do all the processing with film. I used 35mm for 25 years before really moving to digital. However, with digital you can do adjustments yourself if you would like much much easier than you could with color film.

You don't really have to do much processing if you don't want to. You can shoot jpegs and make adjustments in camera and get the exposure etc correct when you take it.

I can't tell you if you will think it is worth it, but it certainly was for me. I didn't think anything would replace my trsuty Olympus OM1, but I only dust it off for an occasional photo now---more for old times sake than anything else. 95% of my photos are now taken with the D70S.

westgapeach Registered since 10th Jan 2006Tue 10-Jan-06 02:25 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I'm one of those unlucky ones that had the BGLOB fault and my is one of the early model D70.. I just sent it in last week for the FREE repair. I love my D70!! (Come home soon).. No camera is perfect buy it don't wait another minute.. You will Love it!!

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 10-Jan-06 03:01 PM
6273 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Maumelle, US

This is not a gripe but most people only post the negative aspects of anything, whether it be here or elsewhere. How many times do we call a supervisor at a store for example and tell him what a great job a salesman did? I do this occassinally and the supervisor goes into shock!!!!

I've had my D70s for 6 months and have had no problems at all.
I also own a D2H.

Hedley

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

mureena Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Tue 10-Jan-06 03:32 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

FI

If 10 people receive good service 3 of them tell to others.
If 10 people receive bad service 7 of them tell to others.

Like the previous replies stated, the web tends to exaggerate the scale of problems. Not to mention that there are people who get paid for writing on the web anti-testimonials on competing brand/products, they exist in just about every consumer business, including cameras.

I wouldn't worry too much about what measurebators, doomsday prophets etc. rave about D70 production flaws. I have had my D70 go through just about each and every thing the user guide warns owners not to (except dropping it), and it has worked flawlessly since the day I bought it. In my social network of photographers and friends I know of more than a dozen D70's and I am not aware of a single unit displaying any backfocus/BGLOD/battery explosion/blaablaa doomsday problems I read about every day.

Get out there and buy it, great images are waiting!

Vilhelm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/sets/

JW Basic MemberTue 10-Jan-06 04:30 PM
847 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

D70S has the best cost/performance ratio in the sub 15k range. I don't know what you were referring to by "little things that can and do go wrong", but keep in mind those complaints are usually exagerated. Nikon users are used to excerting high expectations on Nikon products. Fact is, the D70(S) is a very fine camera.

JW
...Live and learn.

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Tue 10-Jan-06 04:39 PM
485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 9

Washington, US

For what it's worth, if you buy a Canon and something happens to it while under warranty, then good luck. My Canon A85 developed a problem and I sent it in while still under warranty and Canon USA wants to charge me $100 to fix it. I've never encountered that from Nikon factory service, or from any other company for that matter.

Mike

DRWedge Registered since 14th Oct 2002Tue 10-Jan-06 04:32 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Bristol, US

Before I would invest the money in any SLR, Nikon or other, digital or film, I would first make sure I wanted to get involved with SLR photography. Your statement "Point, shoot, send the film for developing. Simple. Seems like digital is a lot of work to get a good exposure and right now a lot of time." appears to reflect a desire for point-n-shoot picture taking, not SLR photography. SLR photography can be point-n-shoot but it is a huge waste of money if that is all you want to do with it. There are many point-n-shoot cameras out there that take excellent pictures. But SLR photography is where photographic skills and knowledge are a greater factor for the art of photography. Like anything else, you can choose between canned computer programming where the machine does all the thinking for you or you can take control yourself. If you take the controls, it requires study and practice - but the rewards are so much more.

Sadly, I used my Nikon N80 as a point-n-shoot. But with my D70 I am really enjoying studying and learning the art and science (yes, photography is as much science as it is art) of photography. Yes, it is complicated, but you enjoy the feeling you get when someone admires your photo and asks "How did you do that? Mine never come out like that."

You're on the edge of investing thousands of dollars if you want several bodies and lenses. I strongly suggest you be sure you want to learn photography and not just to take pictures.

Looks like I may need to change my closing comment!

Photography is both an art and a science. I am neither an artist nor a scientist. I simply enjoy taking pictures

m1abrams Registered since 14th Dec 2005Tue 10-Jan-06 04:44 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 10

Manassas, US

I think though the big difference between Film and Digital SLR is that it is more affordable and accessible for people to experiment and be more artistic with photography.

With film it is a little expensive and timely to take 20 shoots of the same flower, with digital it is no more expensive to take 1 or 100. Not that it was ALL that expensive but it was a bit more. Also the quick turnaround from snap to result caters to experimentation.

sphoto Registered since 29th Dec 2005Tue 10-Jan-06 04:51 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Convince me!"

Shinglehouse, US

I have been a professional photographer for over 30 years. I photographs weddings, portraits, special events, groups, and sport/teams. I use Bronicas for my wedding and portrait work and a Nikon slr for my groups/sports/teams.

By point and shoot I meant that I could pick up my Bronica, take a meter reading, take the photo and send the film off to the lab for processing. All things considered, pretty easy stuff. With digital there are more options for exposure, histograms to read, raw versus jpeg, processing in photoshop or other program to fix problems and so on. Maybe I have been used to the square format for so long that I am hesitant to "down size" to dslr. On ther other hand it opens up a whole new world of photography. Guess I need to grow into it.

Dane

aonaran Registered since 02nd Feb 2006Tue 02-May-06 03:28 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 13

Oshawa, CA

You don't have to use photoshop or make adjustments yourself.
You can take the image right off the memory card and let the processing place adjust it like they normally adjust for film (Contrast, brightness, possibly some sharpening) and leave it at that.

Photoshop is just EASIER to do with digital originals as you don't have to scan the image in and if you shoot in RAW there is more data for photoshop to work on.

Lots of people shoot digital and never open photoshop.

Rod

DRWedge Registered since 14th Oct 2002Tue 10-Jan-06 04:55 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Convince me!"

Bristol, US

I just looked at your profile and see that you identify yourself as a pro. If my comment was out of line I apologize.

Photography is both an art and a science. I am neither an artist nor a scientist. I simply enjoy taking pictures

barrycanada Registered since 30th Nov 2005Tue 10-Jan-06 05:25 PM
155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Convince me!"

Windsor, CA

Dane, Your fears of Camera Problems shouldn't prevent you from going Digital on a D70s. They are quite reliable. Nikon service is very good if there is a Problem.

I used Canon and Nikon Film Cameras for years. Canon SLR's from 1972-2002 and Nikon's from 2002- present. Developed my B & W and Slide Film, Darkroom and all that Stuff.

Vigorously resisted going Digital until last July. I haven't regretted it one tiny bit. Won't sell my 5 Nikon Bodies, but seldom use them.

You say that you, "Point, shoot, send for Developing. Simple". Well, you can still do that. but with Control over the Print. Now you take your Film in and pick it up later, with no Control over Printing except Glossy or Matt, Borders or Borderless.

With Digital you take your Media Card to the Store and stand in front of a Machine. A simple Touch Screen gives you MUCH Control over your Prints. Do you want Borders, Glossy, Cropping, Colour Shifts, Lighter-Darker, Wallet size, 4X6, 8X10, Posters and how many of each. Talk about control. You can Batch Print, have Prints Immediately or come back in an Hour or whenever. You can even order Prints using your Computer.

The Best Part is that YOU can go in and make One (1) Print or as many as you want. I'm a fairly good Shooter, but I would only be real happy with 3 or 4 Shots on a roll of Film. Imagine how I felt Printing ONLY the "Keepers".

To really take advantage of Digital one should use a Computer and a good Photo Printer. I use an inexpensive Epson Stylus R200 for some Super Prints. Better than any Store Prints that I have seen. Another advantage is Burning Discs and E-mailing Prints.

I don't know if your Nikons are SLR's or Point and Shoots, or in between. If you are not a current SLR user, you may want to TRY Digital with a Camera that is small and Pocket Sized. You can then try Digital without a large investment. If you like it........ and you will, this smaller Camera will still be used after an SLR Investment. Your Family and you will use it and love the results from a Pocket sized Digital Camera.

Just the Opinion of an Old, Stubborn, Film Guy who is useless on Computers. But, I love Post Processing and Printing.

When I think of the Hours spent with Darkroom Chemicals over the years I shudder. Hours to get a Great Print, at what Health Risk?

Try it. Borrow a Friend's Digital Point and Shoot. Shoot, Shoot, Shoot!!! Delete, Delete, Delete!!! Go to the Store and Print your own Photo(s). You will Convince Yourself. Barry

barrycanada

Gruverzranch Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2005Sat 04-Feb-06 03:59 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Convince me!"

Alamo, US

DRWedge,

Well stated. I have had my D70 for four months, bought used, and have had a grand time learning how to use it. I have invested about 1500 dollars in obtaining a good package. Film is easier out of the box, but digital permits so much more control from taking the picture to post processing.

I spend a lot of time with my D70 about 1000-1200 shots per month. I could not afford that in film developing costs. I only have to process those photos required for the shoot. The camera has been a blast.

It is art and science, and like any worthwhile endeavor takes time and money.

Choose wisely, get a D70s and enjoy the ride.

Matt

][][][][][] An image speaks forever, what does it say? [][][][][]<[br />

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Tue 10-Jan-06 05:17 PM
14333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

Dane, you should go with what feels right to you and what camera has the specs you are looking for. Fact is, each of the brands you mention offer cameras that can deliver the goods in the right hands.

Obviously, this site will have mostly Nikon supporters. I use a D70 at work, even though many are locked into the "consumer" label and refuse to learn of it's possibilities, or are insecure if they don't have the newest thing out.

Also, as already mentioned, are you really comparing some comments you see and hear with the millions of happy users that have not experienced any problems? If you keep researching, I think you'll find that each of the brand's offerings have had their share of issues.

>Seems like digital is a lot of work to get a good exposure and right now a lot of time.

Fascinating! Do people really think that? I shoot the same way with digital as I did for over 20 years with film. Digital is simply a different tool with some different factors to learn and consider to get the results you want. I work as hard or as little as I did before. For example, some occasions like event shooting, require me to set the camera to get fast and good results out of the box. Other times, I can afford to manipulate exposure, DOF, etc. as much as I want to get the desired effect. It's up to me how much I work. That hasn't changed.

Try not to get caught up with generalizations or hearsay. At least, carefully consider the source.

Of course, with your experience, I'm sure I'm telling you stuff you already know.

Dan L.
http://larussoweb.com

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

barrycanada Registered since 30th Nov 2005Tue 10-Jan-06 05:50 PM
155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Windsor, CA

Dane, I looked up your Profile and it looks like you Shoot Weddings. You may not find the D70s your Best choice for Wedding Photography. Some Digital Issues with Contrast and Latitude make the Fuji a better, but, far more expensive Camera for weddings. Check it out before Investing in two (2) D70s Bodies for Professional Wedding Photography.

Have you ever shot a Wedding with Slide Film? That lack of Exposure Latitude and Contrast Range will give you a Headache. Real easy to Blow out highlights with Digital. I would suggest that you do some REAL Homework on this Investment if its for Weddings. Barry.

barrycanada

fir3bird Registered since 08th Jan 2005Tue 10-Jan-06 06:05 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

**I have used Nikon film cameras for years.

This is why you should buy a Nikon digital camera. The way it
will fit in your hand and do what you want it to do. Yes there is
a learning curve. You'll be glad you did it. Check your budget
because you might really want a D200 or a D2X. I've got a D70
without the "s" and I'm sticking with it for the time being. As far
as things going wrong.... well, Nikon cameras aren't the only ones
that go bad. Why in the world would you want to use any other
brand?

Walt
A Carolina Nikonian

doogienj Basic MemberTue 10-Jan-06 06:32 PM
401 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Brooklyn, US

If the D70 is in your price range, I think it's the best value for money that you will find. Seriously! Most other supplier don't have support forums like Nikonians. And if they did, I bet you would see a lot more complainers.

Every company have certain quality issues. What's important is how they take care of those. I don't recall reading any postings of customers that are upset with Nikon resolving issues. Hopefully we can welcome you to the club soo

Cheers,

Douglas

mikeacollins Basic MemberTue 10-Jan-06 08:31 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Kalispell, US

I love my D70s. No problems. No complaints. Not any more work to get correct exposure than film. Digital does have a little less exposure latitude than print film so you need to a little more careful with your exposures but the advantage is you can get an idea of how the exposure looks right away so you can take it again if it does not look good. You can experiment with many different settings, exposures, angles, flash etc. and it does not cost you a dime more. Just delete the ones that did not work and print the ones you like. Can be more post processing work if you want but does not have to be.

Mike

Mike

------------------------------
Mysteries lie all around us, even in the most familiar things, waiting only to be perceived.
Wynn Bullock

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 10-Jan-06 08:37 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Convince you? Me an amateur, (okay, shooting SLR like devices for 26 years, but still an amateur), you, a pro? :^)

What the heck, I'll give it a whirl.

The D70s is a feature rich camera for the pricepoint and market it was developed for. It makes excellent images, has good, current technology and is part of the Nikon total image system.

It is moderately fast. It is reliable, but not as robust as a D2X or even the new D200. However, I know people that shoot D70/D70s constantly and they generally don't break if given a modicum of care. They can be workhorses. Two bodies and I believe, as a pro, you are in business.

My brother works in a camera store in London and does lots of wedding and sports photog. He uses Nikon D100 and D70 and says these are tough cameras.

He also tells me they get back way more Canon 350D, (Rebel XT here in U.S.) than anything else that goes out the door. He tells me Nikon DSLRs rarely come back.

I wanted something to take me through the next 4 years, figuring around 10,000 shutter actuations a year, ( I've got to tell you I shot a Canon AE1 program with a variety of lenses for 23 years before retiring it, so I don't give up on an acquisition easily). I've seen on this list where the D70/D70s is rated for 50,000 actuations before a rebuild is needed and many bodies are out there with twice that many cycles already. Your mileage may vary.

I bought a D70s for price/performance and I had someone that I trusted telling me not to worry. I've been pleased so far and am planning my lens acquisitions going forward. A big deal to me in my purchase decision was the fact that I was going to make a big lens investment over time and I can't replace a flakey body. My own belief, after as much research as I could do, is that Nikon still builds a very good product.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

""

Grog Basic MemberWed 11-Jan-06 12:50 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lincoln, US

"Seems like digital is a lot of work to get a good exposure and right now a lot of time."

Digital is no more work than film in fact you don't have to do anything different than you did with film. Shot take it to the photo shop if you want. As far as exposure it's also no harder than shotting slides. The Auto Focus in these cameras is great and a lot faster than point and shots plus you can check your exposure by looking at a preview on the back of the camera. I have had some good point and shot cameras and I have owned several Pentax SLR starting with a ME though the XR-50. Than I bought a Nikon N80 and have been hooked on Nikon sense. I now have a N80 and a D70s and I like both very much. Weather you buy Canon or Nikon doesn't really matter just get out there and take pictures. I wouldn't buy the Fuji its an older model camera now. Each new model has added little inprovments so buy as new a model as you can.

I don't love things, I like them.

I love God my children, grandchildren and my wife.

Just get out there and take pictures. N80 D200.

sphoto Registered since 29th Dec 2005Wed 11-Jan-06 05:16 PM
#23. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 22

Shinglehouse, US

Two things have come up that I have questions about.

A couple of you mention about the D70s underexposing others seem to not have any problem at all. Can you elaborate on that? I would like to use the camera I purchase on weddings as well as other types of photography.

Second, I read somewhere about Adobe Camera Raw from the D70 can be used in Photoshop CS but from D70s can not. Not quite understanding what this means. Does it mean that if I shoot in RAW mode with the D70s that those images can not be used in Adobe Photoshop CS?

Lastly, the D200 is 600-700 more than the D70s. Justify the price difference to me please.

This has been some good discussion here.

Thanks,
Dane

jgrimm Registered since 03rd Nov 2005Wed 11-Jan-06 07:46 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 23

There is a bit of contention as to whether or not the D70 and D70s intentionally underexpose the images. I haven't followed the debate too closely but I have found that, especially when shooting raw, leaving the camera on a +1/3 ev compensation gets great pictures in most cases. If you're using raw, err on the side of slight overexposure, in order to keep the shadow details. If the D70s does intentionally underexpose, it's not by enough to really hinder your work, especially since you can dial in any exposure compensation you want.

As for ACR working with the D70s I'll let someone else respond, because I'm not sure. I think I may have heard something about that, but I know that aside from nikon's "official" formats, there are unofficially supported formats too, so chances are you can use the D70s in ACR. I can't understand why they wouldn't support it.

Here's the reason for the price difference between a D70 and a D200. From what I understand a D200 is a lot like a D2x. You will get 10mp instead of 6mp (6mp is more than enough for some people, other people need as much resolution as they get, it all depends on your needs. You should look into this), a 5fps burst mode instead of 3, a metal body instead of plastic (some people object to the D70 plastic body but I think it's fine), built in GPS (I guess that's useful for someone, just don't now who...), a built in black and white mode, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

One final note, I don't think digital is necessarily as complicated as it seems. Keep in mind that these forums bring out all kinds of details and nitpicking (I don't mean that in a bad way), but short of memorizing every little detail you read about you can still get great results. For instance, in your film life if you were happy trusting the lab to develop your pictures, you will probably be just has happy trusting adobe's auto settings to produce good pictures. You've gotten used to film so a lot of its complexity has probably become second nature. The more you play with digital the more it will fall into place. The nice thing about the D70s is that you can decide what you want to worry about yourself and what you want done for you. Those extra exposure modes for instance, let you decide how much control over the exposure you want and how much you want the camera to do it, and so on. So, it's very easy to ease into digital, slowly adding complications as you get more comfortable with them.

srosengard Basic MemberWed 11-Jan-06 10:06 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

My best friend had a Digital Rebel, and tried to convince me to go Canon. I did it my way and purchased a D70, after I got my D70 I went out shooting with him, we both used each others camera's. He loved my D70 so much, that he sold his Digial Rebel and purchased a D70s. The D70 like any other DSLR takes a little getting use to, but the results are OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck
Steve

sphoto Registered since 29th Dec 2005Thu 12-Jan-06 01:45 AM
#26. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 25

Shinglehouse, US

Oh this is getting harder! A friend of mine just offered to sell me his Harley motorcycle for $4500. A good deal and I have always wanted one! Can only buy the cameras or the bike. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!

Dane

Hangfire77 Registered since 01st Jan 2006Thu 12-Jan-06 03:00 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 26

Chesapeake, US

I have the early d70. I bought it the week my local Ritz camera had it. I have taken thousands of pictures with it. The camera I replaced was a Nikon n65. I have been very happy with the d70. I was one of the unfortunate ones to experience the B.G.L.O.D I shipped the camera to Nikon on a Tues. Received the camera back the following Tues. Excellent customer service. They actually answer the phone there. Great personal service. When I upgrade to my next camera it WILL be a Nikon. Hands best pictures I have ever taken. I just need classes to really understand it. I mostly shoot everything on auto and let the camera do the work. Imagine what I could do if I knew what I was doing. LOL I can't imagine anybody being disappointed in the D70 for an entry level dslr it's got what it needs.

James

willil Registered since 09th Nov 2005Thu 02-Feb-06 04:53 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 27

Portland, US

Hmmmm.... Harley or Camera. I'll let you decide that one.

If it were just cameras, I recommend going to a store, holding the nikons and canons, and choosing the one that feels better to you. My choices were between the D70s and the 20D. (The rebel was ugly tiny in my hands.) The 20D had a few more features that I liked, but the D70 fit like a glove. I got the D70, have had no problems, and love it. I'm amazed at the results. The camera is great. (The nikon lenses don't hurt either I'm sure.) I've seen 2' x 3' prints of D70 images that looked wonderful. So the tool is more than capable.

Here's a monetary argument. How much do you spend on film processing? Every time I go out with film, I spend at least $100 in processing and it's always been painful/dissapointing to cull the bad shots. The D70 was $900. Once I used it 9 or 10 times, it had paid for itself. Didn't take too long, and if there's a bad shot, I just go take some more. If the camera breaks now, I'll be disappointed, but like all electronic products, it's a consumable item.

I'd have a serious problem today choosing between the D70 and D200. The D200 has all the little things the 20D had that I wanted, and then some.

Willi

Harley Basic MemberSat 04-Feb-06 03:05 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 28

Kingston, CA

>Hmmmm.... Harley or Camera. I'll let you decide that one.

I agree with Bert - it's a no-brainer. Get the Harley.

bew Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2004Thu 02-Feb-06 06:47 PM
1019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

San Antonio, US

As a Harley owner and a Nikon (D200) owner the decision for me would be a no brainer - get the Harley! It will hold it's value better than the digital camera. Besides, as I mentioned, I already have the camera

Bert

Dave MC Registered since 26th Dec 2005Fri 03-Feb-06 01:24 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Dane,

Get what is easiest for you to use and fits within your budget. The D70 was pretty much a no brainer for me. I shot with Nikon film bodies and am comfortable with the Nikon ergonomics, Canon has never and probably will never work for me. The fact I can change settings with out looking for the button/knob I want is what one of the most important features in a camera body IMO. Whatever body you get should ideally disappear into you hands and allow you to shoot the pics you want to shoot with out the "How do I do this....." factor. I know it can be tough for us guys with our toys but you should read the book and familiarize yourself with whatever camera you do get.
The D70 is well worth the $ if it fits your needs functionally. Just buy it from a reputable dealer with a good return policy if it doesn't "work" for you. Nikon will repair your camera if on the off chance something does goes wrong with it.
Personally, I would love a D2X as it is really my ideal camera, but I'd rather save the $ I do have for better glass until I can afford it.

Now if only I could find a used Sigma 500 4.5 HSM in good shape I'd be good to go..........anyone know of one??

Dave

cgaengineer Registered since 31st Oct 2005Fri 03-Feb-06 02:32 AM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Winder, US

How about 10,000 shutter actuations on my D70 without a single problem! How about the fact I purchased a second body because I liked the first one so much.

Robbo Registered since 08th Jan 2006Fri 03-Feb-06 01:41 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 31

UM

2,681 actations in two months on a D70s! It's a superb camera - buy it - and buy the Harley, if you must!

kschultz76 Registered since 09th Dec 2005Fri 03-Feb-06 02:58 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Burlington County, US

The D70 is a great camera, after shooting with it for 8 months after shooting with an N80 for 5 years I love it. I don't find it to be more work, just different work. The important thing for me with digital is to shoot with the same mindset I did with film...Get the right exposure, get the best image I can straight from the camera, and no count on post processing on the computer to fix my mistakes. I think people who shoot thinking they can be sloppy and touch it up later on the computer are those that create more work for themselves.

As far as convincing you to purchase this equipmet, I won't try to. If you feel you need someone to convince you to buy this, then you need to seriously reconsider your motive to do so. If you buy this equipment with doubts going into you very well may convince yourself once you've made the investment that you aren't happy for the wrong reasons. If you are that concerned about digital, then invest your money into something you are sure of. I know that is a different view then most others here, but I am a firm believer that this kind of investment should be made reservation free. Go with your gut you know what you really want from a camera, buy what will deliver it.

But don't concern yourself with quality or service issues from Nikon, like everyone has said these forums are a place for people to solve their problems, not often a place to praise their equipment, although it should not be that way I would think.

TampaNikon1 Registered since 30th Nov 2001Sat 04-Feb-06 12:08 AM
1070 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 33

Spring Hill, US

Nikonians should adopt the phrase Harley owners use to describe their devotion to the brand.

Nikon...If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.

Bob, A Florida Nikonian

"When you turn your camera on...does it return the favor?
"If Not get a "NIKON" !

kschultz76 Registered since 09th Dec 2005Sat 04-Feb-06 04:33 AM
#35. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 34

Burlington County, US

Very well said indeed!

Frenchie Registered since 06th Oct 2004Sat 04-Feb-06 11:09 AM
1308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 35

FR

>>By point and shoot I meant that I could pick up my Bronica, take a meter reading, take the photo and send the film off to the lab for processing. All things considered, pretty easy stuff. With digital there are more options for exposure, histograms to read, raw versus jpeg, processing in photoshop or other program to fix problems and so on<<

With the advent of digital, only the capture medium has changed, not the principles of photography; they're still the same as they ever were. Digital photography is as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.

There are no more options with exposure (in reality) with digital than there are with film. 1/250 at f8 for a given film/sensor sensitivity is still 1/250 at f8. The great thing about digital photography, however, is that you can change the sensitivity on the fly.

As to histograms, that's just a tool to confirm to you that what you thought was the right exposure was indeed the right exposure. You don't have to use it.

The big difference between you and me, Dane, as far as I can see, is that I have always wanted to be in control of the photographic process from taking the shot to producing the print and I've never had the inclination to let a third party intervene in that process (except when I was shooting slides).

RAW vs Jpeg is a one-off quality decision. There is no doubt that the former will give you the better quality image. For me, the NEF is my negative and it never gets changed. So I work just as before; all that is fifferent is that my darkroom now sits very conveniently on my desk.

As to the D70 v the D200, in terms of image quality, that's a difficult one because in most cases (lens for lens), you won't see a noticeable difference between an image shot on a D70 and one shot on a D200.

BUT, if you're going to use a camera as a full-time professional, I would seriously recommend buying the D200, simply because it is a better tool. In my signature you'll see the quote, "The best saw in the world won't make you a better carpenter." What I could have added was, "However, it will make your life as a carpenter just that bit easier." Which is why I don't know any professional artisan who uses other than professional tools.

On the subject of dynamic range, you do need to be aware of this issue and shoot accordingly, but the problem is not insurmountable. I have a friend in London who is a very successful professional wedding/events photographer and she uses nothing but digital gear.

Pete
"Cameras don't take photographs, people do" - John Hedgecoe said that.
"Expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves" - Ansel Adams said that.
"The camera is only a tool. The best saw in the world won't make you a great carpenter" - I said that
A few photos, here for a reason

RS_D70 Registered since 27th Jan 2006Tue 02-May-06 03:05 AM
160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Sacramento, US

To add my 2 cents, I purchased my D70 in March of 2004. Since then i've taken in excess of 18,000 photos with no problems whatsoever! I love my D70! Only recently has it begun to display the symptoms of the BGLOD, albeit intermittant, and I sent it off for the FREE repair. My brother owns a Canon Rebel and at our last family get together it stayed in the bag cause my D70 was doing all the work. All in all I feel the D70 was an excellent investment and would do it all over again if I had to. You wont be sorry!!

Reis

My Nikonians Gallery

My Zenfolio Gallery

Richz Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 02-May-06 01:56 PM
149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 39

US

Reis,

I agree. I purchased my D70 in January of 2005 upgraded the firmware to match the D70s' and shot 6,500 keepers and it's still going strong. I even purchased a second camera, a D70s just last week.

Richz

aonaran Registered since 02nd Feb 2006Tue 02-May-06 02:44 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Oshawa, CA

I was brand new to SLR and DSLR a few months ago, I was trying to make up my mind based on only what I saw online. I had it narrowed down to the Digital Rebel 350D and the D70s

I talked to a friend of mine (who owns a nice Canon film camera) what she would pick if she was in my place, and she recommended the Nikon.
After learning a lot about SLR cameras and lenses in the last while I'm really glad I followed her advice.

The Nikon D70s is far better built than the digital Rebel, and if you buy it with the 18-70mm kit lens it has a much nicer lens to start with.

Despite what you read on the internet, it is a great camera. people usually post their complaints and problems hoping for a resolution or just to let off steam, but there are plenty of happy customers who never bother to post that they are happy.
There is NOT a problem getting good exposure, but most good digitals will expose a bit darker than you want when you print it to preserve detail in the highlights, this is not a D70 limitation, this is a digital limitation. fact is Digital doesn't have the range of film yet, even if the high end cameras have it beat in resolution.

My friend in the Canon camp is sving up for a 30D, because she wouldn't be happy with the 350D but doesn't want to replace all her lenses. (and I don't blame her)

Rod

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #63325 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.