Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #607
View in linear mode

Subject: "Multicam 2000 ?" Previous topic | Next topic
Rickard_F Registered since 16th Dec 2005Wed 09-Aug-06 05:26 AM
270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Multicam 2000 ?"

Karlstad, SE

Nikon USA says on its info site today that the D80 has multicam 2000.
is this true????

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25412

10.2 Megapixel Nikon DX format CCD imaging sensor: Effectively optimized by Nikon to deliver a wide dynamic range, producing outstanding images with high resolution and vivid detail yielding 3,872 x 2,592-pixel files.

New high-resolution Nikon image-processing engine: New 12- bit Image Processing Engine combines color independent analog pre-conditioning with improved image processing algorithms.

Instant 0.18 sec. start-up with fast 80ms shutter response.With a power-up time of a mere 0.18 seconds and a shutter release time lag of only 80ms, responsiveness is extraordinary.

Continuous shooting at up to 3 frames per second and up to 100 consecutive JPEG images: Fast framing rates contribute to the ability to capture moments in time instantly. Sophisticated systems throughout the D80, including high-speed buffer memory handling, fast image processing, high-speed memory card access and large system bus bandwidth help make this possible.

Up to 2,700 images per battery charg High-Efficiency power systems featuring reduced power consumption and Real-Time Fuel Gauge with Nikon's EN-EL3e Lithium Ion rechargeable battery.

Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II, plus Variable Center-Weighted and Spot Metering: Substantially more sophisticated than traditional multi-pattern metering systems, Nikon's 3D Color Matrix Metering II instantly and accurately evaluates brightness, color, contrast, selected focus area and subject-to-camera distance information, referencing the results against an onboard database of 30,000 scenes from actual photography. Vary the size of the center-weighted area reading and spot metering readings correspond to 11 focusing points.

In-Camera Image Editing with Retouching Menu: Highly versatile in-camera editing features include Nikon D-lighting, Red-eye Correction, Image Trimming, Image Overlay, Monochrome Black and White, Sepia and Cyanotype along with Skylight, Warm Tone and Custom Color filter effects.

Built-in Speedlight with Nikon i-TTL flash metering and two-group Wireless Commander: Nikon’s acclaimed i-TTL flash control evaluates flash exposure with greater precision to achieve better automatic flash balance and deliver outstanding results with SB-600, SB-800 or SB-R200 Speedlights.

2.5” LCD color monitor with 170-degree, wide-angle viewing: Playback images can be viewed easily from all angles with extraordinary color and clarity.

11-area AF system with Wide-area Center Segment and Auto-area AF functions:Nikon’s Multi-CAM 2000 provides maximum flexibility and optimum performance under varied shooting situations. 11-area autofocus system features a cross-type sensor in the center, broad frame coverage, as well as class-leading low light detection and convenient AF-assist illuminator to aid in low-light conditions. New Wide Area AF option gives greater compositional freedom when shooting sports and action.

Seven Digital Vari-Programs plus Programmed Auto with Flexible Program, Shutter-Priority Auto, Shutter-Priority Auto and Manual: Digital Vari-Programs include: Auto Portrait, Landscape, Macro Close up Sports, Night landscape, Night portrait each of which adjust automatically for optimal results under varied conditions—automatically.

Image Optimization Mode: Optimize color, contrast, sharpening as well as other image settings according to the type of scene or output desired. Options include: Normal, Softer, Vivid, More Vivid, Portrait, Custom, Black and White

Large, bright 0.94x viewfinder: Optical glass viewfinder features large (0.94X) magnification making composing frames easier while overall viewfinder brightness makes low-light photography possible.

Built-in Slideshow function with Pictmotion: Select a range of images, pick a style and add music for beautiful picture presentations delivered from the D80 to a television or simply view on the camera’s 2.5 inches LCD. Effects include: slide-in, slide-out, fade-in, and fade-out

Available: September 2006

$999.95 ESP1 Camera body only, lens sold separately2
$1299.95 ESP1 Packaged with 18-135mm DX Zoom Nikkor lens2

"when operating the diopter adjustment control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidently"

-D2Hs Semper fidelis

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Multicam 2000 ?
foobar42
09th Aug 2006
Geoffrey4 Silver Member
09th Aug 2006
Valentino Gold Member
09th Aug 2006
Seth_Leigh
09th Aug 2006
Valentino Gold Member
09th Aug 2006
MK_Hayes
09th Aug 2006
JohnnyG
09th Aug 2006
RWCooper
09th Aug 2006
westcoast Silver Member
09th Aug 2006

foobar42 Registered since 04th May 2003Wed 09-Aug-06 05:38 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Multicam 2000 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nope, pretty sure that's a typo. Apparently the D50 is supposed to ESRP for $120 more with the 18-135 than body-only. They'll catch the problems soon enough.

Geoffrey4 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Wed 09-Aug-06 05:48 AM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Multicam 2000 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

Appears to be an error on first page - if you click through to the "Tech specs" page it says Multicam 1000, which it also says in the downloadable brochure.
Cheers

Geoffrey
In the golden west - Western Australia

Geoffrey

Western Australia
(a state nearly 4 times the area of Texas)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Wed 09-Aug-06 11:41 AM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Multicam 2000 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The description say 1 Cross Sensor which is not the CAM2000

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

Seth_Leigh Registered since 04th Jun 2004Wed 09-Aug-06 11:59 AM
689 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Multicam 2000 ?"
In response to Reply # 3

Queen Creek, US

I think a lot of D200 owners would be shell-shocked if the D80 really did come with multicam 2000. I know the D200 will be surpassed in its niche, it's inevitable, but to be surpassed to this level by the D80 so soon, that would be a little hard to stomach.

-----------------------
My skimpy Nikonians image gallery
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

-----------------------
My skimpy Nikonians image gallery
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Wed 09-Aug-06 12:01 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Multicam 2000 ?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

It is already annoying me a little. But the D200 can shoot at 5 fps and has better placed controls and takes CF cards. There better be more of a difference for that money. But then again, the biggest difference between the D200 and D2X is the multicam 2000 and that makes the D2X 2.5x the price.

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

MK_Hayes Registered since 04th Mar 2006Wed 09-Aug-06 01:49 PM
591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Multicam 2000 ?"
In response to Reply # 5

Pepperell, US

D80 is missing Mup.

Also while its multicam 1000, the switch on the front is M,A. Not M,S,C. Then there's also no 7 area wide, just the 11 area. The center only can go wide. Looks like multicam 1000-hobbled.

It also takes fewer lens types.

No GPS.

Yeah, I spent a while going over the specs and could come up with a bigger list. No regrets with my decision.

JohnnyG Basic MemberWed 09-Aug-06 01:59 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Multicam 2000 ?"
In response to Reply # 7

The D80 has MLU.

JohnG

>D80 is missing Mup.
>
>Also while its multicam 1000, the switch on the front is
>M,A. Not M,S,C. Then there's also no 7 area wide, just the
>11 area. The center only can go wide. Looks like multicam
>1000-hobbled.
>
>It also takes fewer lens types.
>
>No GPS.
>
>Yeah, I spent a while going over the specs and could come up
>with a bigger list. No regrets with my decision.

RWCooper Registered since 04th Jul 2004Wed 09-Aug-06 02:05 PM
976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Multicam 2000 ?"
In response to Reply # 8

Winnipeg, CA

Hi,

The only reference I have been able to find to mirror lockup is to allow for sensor cleaning. If you have another reference would you please point me to it?

Edited to add: I found it. JohnG is referring to exposure delay, a 0.4 second delay between pressing the shutter and and the shutter being released, giving the mirror a chance to move up and then allow time for the vibration to be damped. This is not what I would call true mirror lockup as I can not control when the shutter is released.

Randy

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Wed 09-Aug-06 12:24 PM
742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Multicam 2000 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

California, US

It pays to read the tech specs, which clearly state multiCAM1000. Beyond that the camera seems to be pretty much what folks were guessing it to be. A definite improvement over the D70, but not close enough to the D200. It will be interesting to see how it stands up to the Canon 30D. My friend has one that includes features like 5 fps, and shooting banks like the D200.

Given it's price point of $1K it does seem like a lot of camera for the money. What you don't get is a larger buffer size, 6 frames versus 19 in the D200 with RAW images. Flash sync of 1/200 instead of 1/250 sec. The shutter is down graded with a slower speed of 1/4000 sec. A shooting rate of 3 fps versus 5 fps, which is a deal breaker for sports photography. It also does not offer color matrix metering with non-CPU lenses, although it may offer spot metering.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #607 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.