Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #57579
View in linear mode

Subject: "Getting a shadow when using flash and certatin lense" Previous topic | Next topic
zoranljubicic Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Mon 19-Jun-06 12:48 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Getting a shadow when using flash and certatin lense"

NL

When using my D70 camera with the built-in speedlight and Sigma 12-24mm DGHSM lense I get the shadow (half circle)on the closest edge of the photo. The shadow is bigger as the angle is wider. It can not be seen until the flash fires. The same lense without flash makes no shadows. Other lenses don't make any shadows with or without flash.
The problems occured two weeks ago when the guy in the photo-shop was playing a bit with my camera (changing some settings to show me some effects) - I noticed that only after leaving the shop (and the city!) and I am wondering what is causing the problem...
Does anybody know what happened here? Thanks in advance!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gus_goose Registered since 09th Nov 2005Mon 19-Jun-06 12:53 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Getting a shadow when using flash and certatin lens"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

The front-end of the lens is casting the shadow from the flash. You basically have two options....

1. Take off the lens hood, if it has one... Edit: I see that this lens's hood is not removable .... oops.
2. Get an SB-600/800 which will not cause the shadow because the flash is mounted higher on the camera, and the shadow from the lens will not be in the image frame.

gus

zoranljubicic Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Mon 19-Jun-06 07:03 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Getting a shadow when using flash and certatin lens"
In response to Reply # 1

NL

Gus,

Thanks a lot for the quick response... it crossed my mind that it could be a reason and I took the plastic ring off the hood, but did not help... obviously the hood itself creates the problem! thanks, again!

stopdown Registered since 31st Mar 2004Mon 19-Jun-06 07:51 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Getting a shadow when using flash and certatin lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

Sometimes you can get away with turning the camera upside-down. Not the best for comfortable shooting, but with some subjects/compositions throwing the shadow above the subject is better than in the foreground.

cbeckner80 Registered since 22nd Jan 2006Tue 20-Jun-06 01:09 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Getting a shadow when using flash and certatin lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Covington, US

I too had this happen, but it was my lens hood causing the problem when takeing close up shots with the onboard flash. not too smart of me.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #57579 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.