Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #53482
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using D70 with studio flash" Previous topic | Next topic
zeplin44 Registered since 13th Jun 2006Wed 02-Aug-06 01:24 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using D70 with studio flash"

I recently bought some used speedotron equipment. Does anybody have an idea about how I can use it with the D70 without frying the electronics? Would a wireless connection be best? Thank you.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using D70 with studio flash
f2
03rd Aug 2006
edmun
03rd Aug 2006
zeplin44
03rd Aug 2006
f2
03rd Aug 2006
zeplin44
03rd Aug 2006
zeplin44
03rd Aug 2006
edmun
03rd Aug 2006
zeplin44
05th Aug 2006

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Thu 03-Aug-06 06:14 AM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using D70 with studio flash"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

3 options

#1 a Wein safe sync to a LONG pc cord. The need for the Safe Sysnc all depends on which model your pack is and what the trigger voltage is.

#2 an optical slave on the pack triggered by your on camera flash

#3 an RF slave such as a Pocket Wizard or one of the Chinese RF slaves.

I use #2 and #3. The primary reason is to keep my feet from getting tangled in the sync cord. My #3 is a cheap Chinese RF slave that I got off eBay.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 03-Aug-06 08:36 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using D70 with studio flash"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

F2 pretty much has it right.

In the Nikon D70 manual, page 186, lists trigger voltage tolerances and says the D70 is good to 250 volts.

That said, no one is going to say your Speedotron unit is safe, its CYA time. However most strobe units trigger at 24 volts or under.

Botzilla has a list of tested strobes (sorry lost link when my computer crashed.

Basically a call to Speedotron will give you the trigger voltage they use.

In two years of monitoring this issue, the only cameras with problems have been OM-1's and some Canon.

If you use the flash in the camera set to 1/16 power and a slave eye it will work. I no longer recommend this as I burnt my flash out doing just that. 300 triggers in 4 hurs was probably too much.

Using a SB 600 or 800 is a more reliable way, I set the power there often to 1/64 and most slave eyes will trigger even in a big room. (Not large dark churches)

Nikon has a great pc connector -- it is the AS-15. There are imatations but they do not lock onto the camera -- they slip and slide.

I personally use Quantum radio slaves. Safer because synch cords are always getting tripped over.

Wein has some IR triggers which are quite nice.

ledmun

zeplin44 Registered since 13th Jun 2006Thu 03-Aug-06 03:22 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Using D70 with studio flash"
In response to Reply # 2

I will check out the Nikon equipment, I should have known Nikon would have something. Thank you.

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Thu 03-Aug-06 01:16 PM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using D70 with studio flash"
In response to Reply # 1

San Francisco, US

Pricing for these options

#1 - The Wein Safe Sync is about $50. The LONG sync cord depends on how long and what brand, but budget at least $20, more for the better brand. And since sync cords break at the worst time, you need a spare. You can also make a decent one, see the strobist article.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/04/lighting-101-build-pro-synch-cord-pt-1.html

#2 - You can get a Wein optical slave for about $30. That is less than the price of a Safe Sync not to metion the sync cord. So option #2 is also a lot cheaper than option #1.

#3 - The Chinese RF slave I have was about $20 + $10 shipping. On top of that I had to make a 1/4" F phone plug to M HouseHold adapter ($3.66), which you can buy for about $20 if you don't want to/can't make it. You can go top drawer with the Pocket Wizard for about $300, but for casual home use, the cheap Chinese one works fine.

zeplin44 Registered since 13th Jun 2006Thu 03-Aug-06 03:24 PM
#6. "RE: Using D70 with studio flash"
In response to Reply # 3

You are right about the cords. I'm going to try to go wireless. Thank you.

zeplin44 Registered since 13th Jun 2006Thu 03-Aug-06 03:18 PM
#4. "RE: Using D70 with studio flash"
In response to Reply # 1

I appreciate your reply. Thanks very much.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 03-Aug-06 10:06 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Using D70 with studio flash"
In response to Reply # 4

eugene, US

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html finally found link to trigger voltage.

ledmun

zeplin44 Registered since 13th Jun 2006Sat 05-Aug-06 12:19 PM
#8. "RE: Using D70 with studio flash"
In response to Reply # 7

Thank you. This chart is very useful info.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #53482 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.