Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #471
View in linear mode

Subject: "I plan to Switch" Previous topic | Next topic
Nostromo Registered since 29th Apr 2006Sun 06-Aug-06 07:46 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I plan to Switch"

I have been less than thrilled with my D200, but I know others love it. The main problem area for me has been noise, unless I nail exposure or get very close. This just limits me greatly at times, so I have "hopes" that the D80 is a better unit in this regard. My D70 has enough speed and focus ability...or I've gotten very good at making up for it. Technique is everything.
If the D80 handles noise well, I have a friend who'll be happy to get my D200 for 200 bucks off and I'll be happy to see it go.
This is all very exciting!

Sam in NY
D200, D70, 18-200VR, 70-200VR, 50mm 1.8, Tamron 90 DI Macro

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I plan to Switch
MDL
06th Aug 2006
F80
07th Aug 2006
Nostromo
07th Aug 2006
fspeeder
07th Aug 2006
mobilevil
08th Aug 2006
Nostromo
08th Aug 2006
photobri
08th Aug 2006
Nostromo
08th Aug 2006
vultureacs
08th Aug 2006
Nostromo
08th Aug 2006
northjay1
09th Aug 2006
RWCooper Silver Member
09th Aug 2006
JohnnyG
09th Aug 2006
RWCooper Silver Member
09th Aug 2006
JohnnyG
09th Aug 2006
RWCooper Silver Member
09th Aug 2006
Nikon_RH50
09th Aug 2006
kd5boc
10th Aug 2006
Nikon_RH50
10th Aug 2006
beginnerbilly
10th Aug 2006

MDL Sun 06-Aug-06 09:59 PM

#1. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 0

I think you will miss the custum user banks..

F80 Basic MemberMon 07-Aug-06 10:40 AM
7082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Obviously no one (who can say) knows what the D80 image quality will be like. But it uses a DX sensor and has 10MP so I'd bet the noise characteristics are quite similar to the D200. If not, it will be because it uses more aggressive in-camera noise reduction. Not necessarily a good thing. I'm also hoping for D50-like results with a 10MP size, but I'm not expecting miracles.

If I were you I'd plan on keeping the D200 and working around the noise if possible, i.e. keep the ISO lower and use a tripod or use noise reduction in processing with Neat Image or a similar application.

If I'm wrong and there's a quantum leap in low sensor noise and/or in-camera processing then woo hoo! Let's keep our fingers crossed.

F80

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Nostromo Registered since 29th Apr 2006Mon 07-Aug-06 10:51 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 2

If I'm wrong and there's a quantum leap in low sensor noise and/or in-camera processing then woo hoo! Let's keep our fingers crossed. >>>

My fingers ARE crossed along with my toes. The D200 is a fantastic camera, but I actually will use my D70 indoors or when light is failing with no flash. The D200 is so unforgiving at times, but I expect this improves over time with more time spent. I also prefer the D70 JPEGs by far.
My hope is that the D80 falls between the D70s and D200 overall with something closer to D50 noise levels. If that happens I'm getting the D80 and dumping out of the D200.
But we're all just chattering. The D80 could be DSLR shaped prosumer unit with a fixed lens for all we know!
I can't wait to see what Nikon has up their sleeves to empty my wallet further!

Sam

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Mon 07-Aug-06 09:42 PM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 0

Barrington, US

Boys, calm down a bit. Regarding noise I find D200 handles shade rather poorly but otherwise pretty well.

mobilevil Registered since 27th Mar 2004Tue 08-Aug-06 04:35 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 0

Hong Kong, HK

why couldn't you nail the exposure????even print film can't help you if you don't fix this.

>unless I nail exposure or get very close. This just limits

Nostromo Registered since 29th Apr 2006Tue 08-Aug-06 10:08 AM
#6. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 5

why couldn't you nail the exposure????even print film can't help you if you don't fix this.>>>

No one can nail exposure all the time. The D200 has proven to be extremely unforgiving to even small errors in exposure at higher ISOs. Dark areas produce tons of noise. I think enough people are unhappy with this aspect of the camera to make it clear that this is an area that can be further improved. Chip refinement or software tricks may raise the D80 to a higher level.

S.

photobri Basic MemberTue 08-Aug-06 11:15 AM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 6

Phoenix, US

You might not 'nail it' everytime, but you should learn the metering modes and when to use what type and you should come within 1/2 stop most of the time.

Noise issues - I get tired of reading this...
Is this noise on your final print, or noise when you look at the file at 100% on your monitor? BIG DIFFERENCE.

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

Nostromo Registered since 29th Apr 2006Tue 08-Aug-06 01:14 PM
#8. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 7

You might not 'nail it' everytime, but you should learn the metering modes and when to use what type and you should come within 1/2 stop most of the time.
Noise issues - I get tired of reading this...
Is this noise on your final print, or noise when you look at the file at 100% on your monitor? BIG DIFFERENCE.>>>

The noise is not awful in prints and I know my metering modes. I generally shoot manual BTW. Doing a sweep when shooting moving objects you can't always get exposure within 1/2 stop. Again, I don't see many pro's using the D200 who are thrilled with the noise levels. Just because there are ways to get it to work doesn't mean it can't be much better. Noise will improve down the road to the point where we'll all wonder how we lived in the dark noisy days of DSLRs. I'm hoping the D80 is a step in that direction, even a small step. Nothing wrong with that.

Sam

vultureacs Basic MemberTue 08-Aug-06 02:47 PM
784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 8

Strasbourg, FR

. Doing a sweep when shooting moving objects you can't always get exposure within 1/2 stop. Again, I don't see many pro's using the D200 who are thrilled with the noise levels.

The D200 has similar, if not better in some areas, noise characteristics as the D2x (check bjorns review). Still if you look around in this forum you can see many publishable results from pros and non-pros with a D2x and even D200 of wildlife, sports, etc.

Nostromo Registered since 29th Apr 2006Tue 08-Aug-06 04:00 PM
#10. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 9

The D200 has similar, if not better in some areas, noise characteristics as the D2x (check bjorns review). Still if you look around in this forum you can see many publishable results from pros and non-pros with a D2x and even D200 of wildlife, sports, etc. >>>

Agreed...and so ends this thread.
I'm not sleeping until I see the specs on the D80 and I may even stay up until I see a full review.

Sam

northjay1 Registered since 10th Feb 2006Wed 09-Aug-06 12:30 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 0

Estes/westminster, US

WoW I thought I as nuts I found the 200 to be a little noisy ,so I must agree with you a photo club member of one of the clubs I belong too only use's the 200 for indoor portraits he feels the same way
thanks for speaking up. I am very much looking forward to the d80 in hopes it will be an excellent camera

>I have been less than thrilled with my D200, but I know
>others love it. The main problem area for me has been noise,
>unless I nail exposure or get very close. This just limits
>me greatly at times, so I have "hopes" that the D80 is a
>better unit in this regard. My D70 has enough speed and
>focus ability...or I've gotten very good at making up for
>it. Technique is everything.
>If the D80 handles noise well, I have a friend who'll be
>happy to get my D200 for 200 bucks off and I'll be happy to
>see it go.
>This is all very exciting!
>
>
>Sam in NY
>D200, D70, 18-200VR, 70-200VR, 50mm 1.8, Tamron 90 DI Macro

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004Wed 09-Aug-06 12:41 PM
978 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

Hi,

The D80 is pretty much as I expected. Without mirror lockup, weather seals and the ability to meter with MF lenses there's no way I'm giving up my D200. I was considering replacing my D70 (not s) with a D80, but the D70 will sync flash at 1/500th of a second.

Randy

JohnnyG Basic MemberWed 09-Aug-06 01:36 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 12

>Hi,
>
>The D80 is pretty much as I expected. Without mirror lockup,
>weather seals and the ability to meter with MF lenses
>there's no way I'm giving up my D200. I was considering
>replacing my D70 (not s) with a D80, but the D70 will sync
>flash at 1/500th of a second.
>
>Randy

Randy

The D80 has mirror lock-up.

I sold my D200 because of the lousy jpg engine and marginal shadow noise. Go figure!

JohnG

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004Wed 09-Aug-06 01:55 PM
978 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 13

Winnipeg, CA

>
>The D80 has mirror lock-up.
>

The only reference I have been able to find to mirror lockup is to allow for sensor cleaning. If you have another reference would you please point me to it?

Thanks,
Randy

JohnnyG Basic MemberWed 09-Aug-06 02:04 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 14

In Phil's review:

"Exposure delay Yes, optional, 0.4 sec (mirror lock-up) ....."

Regards
JohnG

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004Wed 09-Aug-06 02:16 PM
#16. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 15

Winnipeg, CA

OK, I found it. It is exposure delay. This certainly is better than nothing, but it not true mirror lockup, where I have control over when the shutter is released while the mirror is locked up.

Thanks for the pointer,
Randy

Nikon_RH50 Registered since 09th Feb 2006Wed 09-Aug-06 08:18 PM
310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 16

Oak Forest, US

No MIRROR LOCK UP? That means I would never be able to use my 80-400mm with 2X TC on this camera if I ever decide on D80. That is why I am not giving up my D200.

Rome
"Loving Manual Focus Primes"

MY GALLERY

kd5boc Registered since 22nd Nov 2005Thu 10-Aug-06 12:38 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 17

Abilene,

As he just said...there is MLU with a .4 second delay.

Tom

---------------
What does your Mind's Eye show you?

Nikon D50
18-55 kit lens
Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 Macro
Mac OS X

Nikon_RH50 Registered since 09th Feb 2006Thu 10-Aug-06 03:01 AM
310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 18

Oak Forest, US

>As he just said...there is MLU with a .4 second delay.

Thats no MLU, thats mirror delay. True mirror lock up is when you press the shutter button, the mirror locks up. Then you have up to 30 secs to press the shutter button again to release the shutter. This is a must when I use my 80-400mm with 2X TC because the vibration of the mirror slap takes about 1 sec to stop. I normally wait 2 sec to release the shutter with a remote.

Rome
"Loving Manual Focus Primes"

MY GALLERY

beginnerbilly Registered since 10th Aug 2006Thu 10-Aug-06 02:10 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: I plan to Switch"
In response to Reply # 12

is it possible to meter exposure using manual lenses?

it says in brochure:

3) Spot: Meters 3.5mm dia. circle (about 2.5% of frame) centered
focus area (on center focus area when non-CPU lens is used)

or is it only possible to meter with manual lenses in manual exposure mode? and if it is, are AI, not AIS lenses, possbile?

thanks, billy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #471 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.