nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #46565
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your Newest D70s Owner" Previous topic | Next topic
sigmuh Registered since 22nd Dec 2006Thu 14-Dec-06 06:11 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your Newest D70s Owner"

Vancouver, CA

I just picked up a D70s yesterday for $550 CAD (body). It's awesome! I've owned a D50 prior to my purchase so in terms of an upgrade, it's not a black-and-white difference. But it's a D70s!

There were a few things I wanted to ask though:

1) I've noticed that the LCD screen isn't as sharp as it is on the D50. Maybe it's just mine? Or maybe Nikon sharpened it for the release of the D50?

2) It was a used body and I noticed a black dot, through the viewfinder, in one of the focusing brackets. It doesn't bug me but I would like to try to get rid of it. Is it safe to remove my lens and use a pressure air blower (fairly small tube, high pressured) to spray around the inside of the body? I don't want to damage anything on my 2nd day.

3) Did I already mention that the D70s is awesome?

Thanks!

- Kevin, Nikon D70s
"If it ain't a Nikon, then...... you should get one."

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Your Newest D70s Owner
hwdx347
14th Dec 2006
mister_Bin
14th Dec 2006
goofball
14th Dec 2006
mister_Bin
15th Dec 2006
sigmuh
15th Dec 2006
TwoLeftFeet
15th Dec 2006
ErikwithaK
15th Dec 2006

hwdx347 Basic MemberThu 14-Dec-06 07:08 PM
6273 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your Newest D70s Owner"
In response to Reply # 0

Maumelle, US

1) Don't know.

2) No. Use a Gitzo Rocket. The canned air gives off an oily residue.

3) Yes. Just wait until you upgrade to a D200 or D2Hs.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mister_Bin Registered since 25th Oct 2006Thu 14-Dec-06 08:28 PM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your Newest D70s Owner"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

There is a clear protectve covering that is hardly noticable on the protective cover of the screen i though the same thing when i got my D70s and then i fugured it out and its just about as good as the one on my D80.

** Nikonian for Ontario Canada**

goofball Registered since 28th Feb 2007Thu 14-Dec-06 11:03 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your Newest D70s Owner"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Congrats.

Did you buy from Henry's?

I find my D70s LCD screen pretty sharp. It's not the same as the D80 screen though but it still is sharp.

I'd also recommend a rocket blower. Don't use compressed air from a can that's designed for cleaning computer insides.

mister_Bin Registered since 25th Oct 2006Fri 15-Dec-06 01:29 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your Newest D70s Owner"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

Probably not Henry's has the D70s body for 649.99 and the D70s with 18 -55 and Free Nikon bag for 749.99 (Or at least that was the price when i bought it a week ago)

** Nikonian for Ontario Canada**

sigmuh Registered since 22nd Dec 2006Fri 15-Dec-06 05:57 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Your Newest D70s Owner"
In response to Reply # 4

Vancouver, CA

Don't get me wrong. The D70s' LCD screen is sharp. I was wondering if any of you picked up a D50 and saw that screen? I might be imagining things but I could've swore my ex-D50's screen was sharper (the lettering was nicer and the picture was sharper).

- Kevin, Nikon D70s
"If it ain't a Nikon, then...... you should get one."

TwoLeftFeet Registered since 27th Jul 2006Fri 15-Dec-06 07:03 AM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Your Newest D70s Owner"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Congrats. I like mine too

I'm glad that I splurged for the D70s over the D50 when I initially got my gear. Some of the extra features over the D50 (the second dial and flash commander mode) I find are helping me out as I use manual settings more and more.

Enjoy the camera and remember, take LOTS of pictures!

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

ErikwithaK Registered since 18th Dec 2005Fri 15-Dec-06 07:07 PM
185 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Your Newest D70s Owner"
In response to Reply # 6

Centereach, US

Until you get your Rocket Blower go down to the pharmacy and get an ear irrigation bulb, or a nasal aspirator . . . These are large bulbs that will give you the right amount of air. Since they are soft, you simply cannot accidentally blast the camera with high velocity air.

If you or anyone is thinking of using compressed air devices, I suggest you reserve using them until you come across a stubborn speck or something. Even still, you can shoot a speck of carbon dust into a corner permanently . . .

If you properly flip the mirror up using the command in the menu, you can hold the body with the opening pointing toward the floor. Then use the bulb to firmly blow a shot of air up into the camera body. Wait a moment and do it again. Attach a lens and evaluate how you did using your favorite method.

It has been my experience that this will safely handle most dust bunnies without the risk of hurting the delicate shutter curtain in the back of the body . . . in fact, I have never used any compressed air of any brand on my camera bodies.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #46565 Previous topic | Next topic