nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #454
View in linear mode

Subject: "Long Exposure Purple Blooming" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaQuest   US  Registered since 04th Aug 2006 Fri 04-Aug-06 10:28 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Long Exposure Purple Blooming"

This is one of the things keeping me away from the Nikon line right now. I am heavily into long exposure photography at night, and I don't like having to wait twice as long for darkframe subtraction. Especially when you are exposing for 15 minutes to an hour. Do you think Nikon will have re-arranged the camera's internal parts so as to avoid this purple blooming problem? I'm sure hoping so.

Also, on another note, from the pics at Ken Rockwell, the viewfinder looks much bigger, ala D200. Lets hope it really is that way!

-------------------------------------------------------
Daily Photos of China: http://www.xanga.com/jessewarren

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming nosingchum
06th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming ThaQuest
07th Aug 2006
     Reply message RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming nosingchum
08th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
07th Aug 2006
Reply message RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming kd5boc
08th Aug 2006
     Reply message RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming vultureacs
08th Aug 2006
          Reply message RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming ThaQuest
09th Aug 2006
               Reply message RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming michael_tn
09th Aug 2006

nosingchum   Richmond, CA  Registered since 31st Oct 2005 Sun 06-Aug-06 07:04 AM
405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming"
In response to Reply # 0

Not to sound facetious but Nikon already makes SLRs that have no such problems with this. They take 35mm film and you don't have to wait for long exposure subtraction Do you do astrophotography and/or star trails?

Simon

A Richmond, B.C. Nikonian
- FM2n, F100, D300, D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ThaQuest   US  Registered since 04th Aug 2006 Mon 07-Aug-06 05:06 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming"
In response to Reply # 1

SLRs are nice, but not for me right now. And probably for most people reading this forum too. DSLR users are out of luck here, and if the D80 remedies this situation, then kudos to Nikon.

nosingchum   Richmond, CA  Registered since 31st Oct 2005 Tue 08-Aug-06 01:52 AM
405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming"
In response to Reply # 2

The D50 is reportedly one of the better DSLRs in terms of long exposure thermal noise. I think Ken Rockwell did a test and it took a 15 minute exposure before anything showed up. Perhaps the D80 will inherit the same (or better) thermal characteristics. One can only hope.

As an aside, you can simulate a long exposure by digitally stacking a series of shorter exposures, thereby neatly working around the thermal noise (and other hardware/battery limits). Depending on the length of the "short" exposure, you may not even need to do noise subtraction. I know this has been done before to take long exposure star trails with DSLRs.

Simon

A Richmond, B.C. Nikonian
- FM2n, F100, D300, D800

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Mon 07-Aug-06 02:18 PM
26992 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming"
In response to Reply # 0

I think the problem is harder than it appears on the surface. The thermal heat appears to be conducted onto the sensor via its data connections, rather than through incidental surface contact. Unless one can get the sources of the heat to make less of it, I think it will be difficult to sort out. I know this from being peripherally involved in similar electronic projects.

I'm sure they've been working on the equivalent of less heat, which is less power, because that makes the batteries last longer.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

kd5boc   Abilene,   Registered since 22nd Nov 2005 Tue 08-Aug-06 05:14 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming"
In response to Reply # 3

So far, I've got a "blooming frame" that I just subtract from my long night shots in PS. I really need to make another before the Persied Meteor Shower...

Tom

---------------
What does your Mind's Eye show you?

Nikon D50
18-55 kit lens
Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 Macro
Mac OS X

vultureacs   Strasbourg, FR  Basic Member Tue 08-Aug-06 03:53 PM
784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming"
In response to Reply # 5

Do you think Nikon will have re-arranged the camera's internal parts so as to avoid this purple blooming problem? I'm sure hoping so.

Have you ever thought about the fact that ANY DSLR needs:
-power connections to the sensor
-data connections to the sensor
-power connections to the mirror
-power connections to the shutter
-control connections to the shutter

Which all reside in a confined mirror box? This is so with every DSLR, regardless of brand.

If you have no patience to wait for darkframe substraction, then that's your fault, not Nikons.

ThaQuest   US  Registered since 04th Aug 2006 Wed 09-Aug-06 04:19 PM
#7. "RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm not trying to cause any trouble, but Canon DSLR's do not have this problem. So apparently, this is not a problem with all DSLRs. Your logic doesn't hold up. If Canon can get it right, why can't Nikon?

-------------------------------------------------------

michael_tn   US  Registered since 23rd Mar 2006 Wed 09-Aug-06 05:03 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Long Exposure Purple Blooming"
In response to Reply # 7

doesn't canon use cmos and not cdd? perhaps there is a difference between the different sensors?

-- michael

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #454 Previous topic | Next topic