Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #43706
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need compact camera when D70 is not around" Previous topic | Next topic
Zapple Registered since 10th Jan 2005Sun 18-Feb-07 04:41 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need compact camera when D70 is not around"

New York, US

Believe it or not but I usually carry my D70 and two lenses when I am in the field (Firefighter/Medic). Due to the weather in the east I do not have the luxury of carrying my LowePro Trackker because of the bulk. I have been long seeking a small camera to capture the "moments" or ideal training scenarios, quickly, one handed if possible and placed back into a shirt or pants pocket, without being bulky. I am looking for any advice on a pocket size, slim, compact digi, but needs to be inexpensive because it may be easyily damaged or destroyed, as well as "lost". Either SD or SC. This choice is based on, price, size, lens, quality (at least 5 MP) in that order.

Any help is really appreciated. Also if this is posted in the wrong topic I pre apologize.

Zapple

Zapple

Www.zapshots.zenfolio.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3539962/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need compact camera when D70 is not around
tronic
19th Feb 2007
Zapple
19th Feb 2007
tronic
20th Feb 2007
hwdx347 Silver Member
19th Feb 2007
Zapple
19th Feb 2007
fdwess
20th Feb 2007
Rogier Bom
20th Feb 2007

tronic Registered since 02nd May 2006Mon 19-Feb-07 12:44 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need compact camera when D70 is not around"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hmm, the D70 forum is probably not the best place since you're asking for something other then the D70.

My guess is the Non-Nikon/Other Products forum might be a better fit:

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID14&conf=DCConfID4

I don't really stress a lot over point-and-shoot (P&S) cameras, since there are a bunch of nice ones on the market. Probably can't go wrong with a Canon PowerShot, Kodak V570/V610 or similar, or Nikon Coolpix?

Many current generation P&S cameras will fit your criteria easily. So I wouldn't sweat which one to get. Stop by a local computer or electronics store, browse the P&S cameras, and walk out with whichever one leaves a smile on your face (and wallet). A decent P&S will go for about USD $200 these days.

However, you can do more detailed research on specific makes/models if you have particular ones in mind.

One thing you're probably also looking for is cameras with an intuitive and easy to use user interface with good preset defaults so that you can just whip it out and shoot as needed instead of wasting valuable time fumbling with tiny buttons and menus.

Do keep in mind that next-shot times as well as startup times tend to be on the low/disappointing side for P&S cameras. If you can deal with that, all the better.

You're on the right track with wanting a small pocket camera for the spur of moment shots where you can't easily carry around your SLR gear. I myself go with DSLRs where I can, and P&S in other places where it doesn't make much sense to lug along the DSLR gear.

Zapple Registered since 10th Jan 2005Mon 19-Feb-07 02:18 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need compact camera when D70 is not around"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

Thanks for the reply. I will try the other forum. I am looking at the Casio s600, because it is the perfect size and I can use one hand to get the job done, many presets that should work for me. Thanks again

Zapple

tronic Registered since 02nd May 2006Tue 20-Feb-07 01:59 AM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Need compact camera when D70 is not around"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Ah, and a suggestion -- try to get a current generation P&S camera with some form of image stabilization (they may call it by different names -- VR, IS, etc). It does help a lot at times.

The kind of image stabilization done with P&S cameras are entirely electronic (built-in software-based) rather than mechanical like with nicer SLR lenses' VR stuff, but that's ok. It does its job and just as importantly, does it inexpensively.

Someone mentioned Fuji which reminded me that the Fujifilm Finepix F30 is a very powerful P&S camera and is the favorite of a popular photography author/reviewer, Thom Hogan, for P&S use.

However, it has some issues: it's about USD $275 to $300 which might be a little more than you want to spend, depending on your budget. It has a lot of pros but does have a bunch of cons. Read carefully the reviews (which you can do a Nikonians forum search for, or Google search).

Another thing to keep in mind: P&S cameras tend to be somewhat anemic on the flash angle. They're physically small(er) for various reasons including battery life. It just means that in low light, some shots may be harder to come out well as they do with SLRs (especially SLRs with an external speedlight or two).

As long as you're aware of the various limitations of the P&S cameras, it's good so you aren't surprised by them.

A nice feature of P&S cameras is an ability to take video footage which comes in handy at unexpected times. Like the time recently where friends took a short video of their rooster in a recovery cage going nuts after seeing a fake rooster nearby. The quality wasn't up to Hollywood standards, but it was more than good enough and sufficiently decent enough to distribute to family and friends.

I'm not sure if this was the recent thread mentioned earlier or not, but here it is:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID71/16830.html

Also, there's an Amazon review of the Fujifilm F30:

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-F30-Digital-Optical/dp/B000EJVWGS

It's a decent one because the main review talks about BOTH the pros AND the cons.

If the cost is too much for you, can certainly look at the other options. Others has suggested some decent make/models here, too. Bottom line: don't sweat it. The only model I've really researched in any depth was the Kodak V570. All others are based on hearsay.

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberMon 19-Feb-07 02:51 PM
6240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need compact camera when D70 is not around"
In response to Reply # 0

Maumelle, US

There was a similar thread on this a few months. The final opinion was that the FUJI point and shoots were the best.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Zapple Registered since 10th Jan 2005Mon 19-Feb-07 02:53 PM
#4. "RE: Need compact camera when D70 is not around"
In response to Reply # 3

New York, US

Any idea where that thread was posted?

Zapple

fdwess Basic MemberTue 20-Feb-07 02:11 AM
1147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Need compact camera when D70 is not around"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Zapple,

I've got 4 nikons but if I want to go compact with a good camera I take my canon digital elph. About the size of a pack of playing cards and takes wonderful pictures. Fits nicely in my pant or shirt pocket. If I'm at a party or on the lake that's what I take.

The only negative is the red eye you get on occasion using flash. I've got the SD 200 that is a couple of years old but I saw a 6 megapixil digital elph today for about $249. The newest elphs go to 10 megapixils, have image stabilization and Canon's new digi processor.

Don

just me, myself and a ...
D70S and 18-200VR

"This is like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra

Rogier Bom Registered since 06th Feb 2006Tue 20-Feb-07 09:22 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Need compact camera when D70 is not around"
In response to Reply # 0

Alkmaar, NL

Take a look a the new Coolpixes that have been anounced today. They finaly seem to bring Nikon back in the compact market.

http://nikonimaging.com/global/

- Rogier
http://www.rogierbom.nl

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #43706 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.