Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #426
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80 5 AF sensors?" Previous topic | Next topic
fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Thu 03-Aug-06 01:24 PM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 5 AF sensors?"

Barrington, US

Looking at the D80's AF selector on its back, I noticed it looks the same as D70 as opposed to D200. I thus suspect D80 has similar AF module as D70.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D80 5 AF sensors?
DomG
04th Aug 2006
kd5boc
08th Aug 2006
kschultz76
04th Aug 2006
dwayner
05th Aug 2006
piusma Silver Member
05th Aug 2006
kschultz76
05th Aug 2006
foobar42
07th Aug 2006

DomG Registered since 28th Dec 2005Fri 04-Aug-06 12:10 AM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 5 AF sensors?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I actually noticed the same thing, and following a similar train of thought, assumed the same claim you are making in your post. After thinking about it for a little while, I picked up my D200 and tried to select autofocus points diagonally instead of linearly up/down and left/right - sure enough, there is definitely a use for the additional directions with CAM1000. Considering how many upgrades are being made to this camera bringing it closer to D200-caliber and away from D70/s consumer grade, I'm hoping that the new camera doesn't get the same CAM1000 that's in the D200. I'd feel pretty cheated for paying an extra 700-800 dollars for a magnesium body, extra .5 FPS continuous speed, battery grip, and a few nifty software upgrades (image overlay, more menu options, etc.). This is assuming that the D80/90 or whatever it is will have a similar viewfinder to the D200 - I hope for the sake of the buyers that it does, because my D70 was giving be a bad case of claustrophobia.

-Domenic

------------------------------------------------------------
"Millions of men have lived to fight, build palaces and boundaries, shape destinies and societies; but the compelling force of all times has been the force of originality and creation profoundly affecting the roots of human spirit."
-Ansel Adams

------------------------------------------------------------
"Millions of men have lived to fight, build palaces and boundaries, shape destinies and societies; but the compelling force of all times has been the force of originality and creation profoundly affecting the roots of human spirit."
-Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kd5boc Registered since 22nd Nov 2005Tue 08-Aug-06 04:19 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D80 5 AF sensors?"
In response to Reply # 1

Abilene,

Personally, I'd hope it also has the color histogram, and the same OLD Nikkor compatibility like the 200 (able to meter w/ the OLD lenses). I'd probably upgrade if that were the case.

But if it has more than 5, why would it need diagonal control. Just go to the side, then up, right?

Tom

---------------
What does your Mind's Eye show you?

Nikon D50
18-55 kit lens
Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 Macro
Mac OS X

kschultz76 Registered since 09th Dec 2005Fri 04-Aug-06 12:05 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80 5 AF sensors?"
In response to Reply # 0

Burlington County, US

This assumes that any photos we've seen of the "D80" are really photos of this new body, and fakes. Personally I find it very very hard to believe that these are genuine photos of this new body, and would not count on anything until the official release from Nikon. Anything else is just pure speculation at this point.

dwayner Registered since 15th Jan 2005Sat 05-Aug-06 12:39 AM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D80 5 AF sensors?"
In response to Reply # 2

Calgary, CA

Really not that impressed with the D70 AF. I really do hope they upgrade it to something better.

piusma Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2005Sat 05-Aug-06 06:57 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D80 5 AF sensors?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond/Vancouver, CA

It might have the new CAM999 AF sensors. It's not as good as the CAM1000 in the D200, but it's very close in performance!

Steven

kschultz76 Registered since 09th Dec 2005Sat 05-Aug-06 11:55 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D80 5 AF sensors?"
In response to Reply # 4

Burlington County, US

Maybe it will have frickin laser beams?

foobar42 Registered since 04th May 2003Mon 07-Aug-06 02:14 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: D80 5 AF sensors?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Only if there are ill-tempered sea bass involved.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #426 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.