nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #41902
View in linear mode

Subject: "High-speed gun magazine photo - how?" Previous topic | Next topic
jhylkema   Vancouver, CA  Registered since 26th Mar 2006 Tue 10-Apr-07 02:00 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"High-speed gun magazine photo - how?"

Gun magazines often have pics of bullets right as they're leaving the barrel of firearms. How does one take such a picture? I'm guessing it's not possible with a D70, but has anyone attempted to take a picture like that?

If I were going to attempt it, I would set the camera on its fastest shutter speed, use a long lens (70-200 VR), focus it on the muzzle of the gun, set the self timer, and try to crank off a round right as the shutter opens. What do you guys think?

--
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."

-- H.L. Mencken

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: High-speed gun magazine photo - how? HVAC GUY Silver Member
10th Apr 2007
Reply message RE: High-speed gun magazine photo - how? mauibay
10th Apr 2007
Reply message RE: High-speed gun magazine photo - how? Pete Wilson Gold Member
10th Apr 2007
Reply message RE: High-speed gun magazine photo - how? tronic
10th Apr 2007
Reply message RE: High-speed gun magazine photo - how? mtyndall
10th Apr 2007

HVAC GUY Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 26th Nov 2006 Tue 10-Apr-07 02:30 AM
1203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: High-speed gun magazine photo - how?"
In response to Reply # 0

Generally those tpye of shots are done in a dark room, camera on a tripod shutter on bulb. They will generally use some type of microphone to trigger a strobe that has a short duration to stop the action. Once the strobe fires the shutter is allowed to close.

Barry

If it isn't a Nikon, it's just another camera

mauibay   Kihei, Maui, US  Registered since 08th Jun 2004 Tue 10-Apr-07 02:30 AM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: High-speed gun magazine photo - how?"
In response to Reply # 0

You might be interested in these:

The Time Machine

High-speed Photography with a Still Digital Camera (PDF)

James Paul ... a Maui Nikonian
http://james.hulili.net

Pete Wilson Gold Member  Lake Orion, US  Nikonian since 27th Jun 2004 Tue 10-Apr-07 02:37 AM
868 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: High-speed gun magazine photo - how?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bullet pictures can be taken using the D70 but special flash and flash triggers are required. The standard flash does not have a flash duration short enough to capture the speeding bullet. Do a google search on Dr. Harold Edgerton the MIT pioneer of super high speed photography to learn more.

Pete Wilson
Nikonian from Lake Orion, Michigan
My Nikonians gallery

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tronic   US  Registered since 02nd May 2006 Tue 10-Apr-07 04:52 AM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: High-speed gun magazine photo - how?"
In response to Reply # 3

If in Boston, stop by the MIT museum which has an amazing array of displayed stuff from years gone by including a very nice exhibition on Dr. Edgerton's innovative techniques. You'd also see literally 'core rope' memory - tons of tiny strands of twisted/roped metal wires - used in the Apollo spacecraft computer system for the moon shots. And lots of other things. Some are interactive exhibits. All are intelligently presented with an element of fun.

http://web.mit.edu/museum/visiting/index.html

EDIT: minor grammatical correction. I guess I won't get in MIT now, eh?

mtyndall   CA  Basic Member Tue 10-Apr-07 05:26 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: High-speed gun magazine photo - how?"
In response to Reply # 0

You might find the following link of interest...
http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_high_speed_photography_at_home

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #41902 Previous topic | Next topic