nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #40596
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yes more questions regarding D70s vertical grip!" Previous topic | Next topic
Saxo   Lewisville, US  Registered since 13th Mar 2002 Thu 17-May-07 02:18 PM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yes more questions regarding D70s vertical grip!"

I've reviewed the threads regarding this subject but there are a few questions that I did not find answers to. I have a D70s and want to purchase one of these vertical grips but have the following questions.

1. I understand that the vertical release button (on the 3rd party grips such as Hoodman/Opteka, etc...) do not allow for a half-way press and recompose. So how do you focus, recompose and also use exposure lock?
2. I also understand that these require you to enable the Infrared. I cannot seem to find the option to turn this on.

Any clarification will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Saxo

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yes more questions regarding D70s vertical grip! Alejandro Platinum Member
21st May 2007
Reply message RE: Yes more questions regarding D70s vertical grip! surfdog
22nd May 2007
Reply message RE: Yes more questions regarding D70s vertical grip! Saxo
22nd May 2007
Reply message RE: Yes more questions regarding D70s vertical grip! Arved
22nd May 2007
     Reply message D70s vertical grip on closeout on ebay Jonathan H
28th May 2007

Alejandro Platinum Member  Spain, ES  Nikonian since 31st Dec 2004 Mon 21-May-07 09:30 PM
1261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yes more questions regarding D70s vertical grip!"
In response to Reply # 0

The infrared is in the shooting menu.

The question I have is why you need the vertical grip ?

If you need it to shoot vertical a lot, I would dare to say... get a D80 or D200 with their grips.

I have not been impressed with the "workaround" grip using infrared for a D70. I do not have it, nor will I get it. The standard battery of my D70 is enough.... and having a vertical grip that really isnt one does not have my preference.

Just a thought.... i do not have one.

A

EDIT: whoops, does the D70s have infrared ? (i have a D70)

-----------------------

surfdog     Registered since 30th Apr 2007 Tue 22-May-07 12:16 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yes more questions regarding D70s vertical grip!"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi

To grip or not to grip. If you want one get it. If you don't need one don't get one. I like mine. Gives the camera more balance.

Lifes to short. Get one-don't get one? But, get out there and have some shooting stuff.

Cheers Surfdog

Saxo   Lewisville, US  Registered since 13th Mar 2002 Tue 22-May-07 02:35 AM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yes more questions regarding D70s vertical grip!"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for your feedback. I only want it to help balance the feel. And since the vertical release button is too much of a hassle and I don't see vertical all that often, I think it will be OK. So now I'm left with just one question.

Since I want/need this for more of a balanced feel, should I get the Opteka which is considerably less than the Hoodman?

-Saxo

Arved   Fleming Island, US  Registered since 10th Aug 2006 Tue 22-May-07 05:10 PM
816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Yes more questions regarding D70s vertical grip!"
In response to Reply # 1

>EDIT: whoops, does the D70s have infrared ? (i have a D70)

Yes, but I'd want to use the wired remote port. The D70s has both.

But I also want control wheels (both) and the AE-L/AF-L button on the accessory grip, so my hand would end up at the regular shutter button anyway.

I'm glad Nikon came to thier senses with the D80, and offered the MB-D80. I'd have loved an MB-D70s. I nearly chose the D100 over the D70s over the vertical grip issue. I mean, come on, even the lowly dRebels had them! It's still a tempting reason to upgrade to the D200, but I'll wait and see what the next couple of generations of Nikon dSLR have to offer. Overall, this is a minor nit, and I'm still very happy with my D70s.

- Arved
"Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner." ~Author Unknown

- Arved
“If you like the way it looks, take the picture. You don’t have to be a portrait judge to know when something looks good. You simply have to develop good taste through learning the basic principles of good composition and lighting.”-- Monte Zucker

Jonathan H     Registered since 27th May 2007 Mon 28-May-07 01:53 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "D70s vertical grip on closeout on ebay"
In response to Reply # 4

If anyone reading this thread decides they want to pick one up, I've got a whole bunch on eBay on closeout. Fantastic price and still brand new in the box.

As a general courtesy and thank you to the entire Nikonians community, I'll extend a $5 discount to anyone here as long as you e-mail me BEFORE purchasing. Thanks!

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/BATTERY-VERTICAL-GRIP-4-NIKON-D70-D70S-NIB-CLOSEOUT_W0QQitemZ190116652392QQihZ009QQcategoryZ48519QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #40596 Previous topic | Next topic