Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #3694
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your custom D80 settings" Previous topic | Next topic
untamedheart Registered since 09th Jan 2005Wed 04-Oct-06 02:48 PM
499 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your custom D80 settings"

Austin, PK

What has been your experience with in camera D80 settings?
I just want to get a feel of what is working for others, especially the noise processing

Thanks for the input

Irfan

http://devoted.to/fineart
-------------------------
F5, D80, F100, D70s

Nikon 85mm F1.4 AF-D, Nikon 16mm F2.8 AF-D, Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, Nikon 35-70mm F2.8 AF-D, Nikon 105mm F2.8 Micro AF, Nikon 60mm F2.8 Micro AF-D, Nikon 100mm F2.8 E, Nikon 50mm F1.8 AF, Nikon 70-210mm AF

http://devoted.to/fineart
-------------------------

Current line up
D300,D80,F100
85mm f1.4 AFD, 50mm f1.4 AFD, 28-70mm F2.8 AFS, 17-35mm F2.8 AFS, 80-200mm F2.8 AFS, 35mm F1.4 AI, 28mm f2 AIS, 105mm F2.8 AF Micro, 105mm F2.8 VR, 105mm F2.5 AIS x 2, 105mm F1.8 AIS, 60mm F2.8AF Micro, 50mm F1.8 AF, 50mm F1.8 AI, 16mm F2.8 AFD Fisheye, 75-150mm F3.5 E x 3, 35-70mm F2.8AFD, 180mm F2.8 AIS ED, 12-24 F4 Dx, 28-80mm F3.5-5.6, Sigma 100-300mm F4-5.6, Tamron 90mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Your custom D80 settings
klrbee25 Silver Member
04th Oct 2006
davidnark
04th Oct 2006
klrbee25 Silver Member
04th Oct 2006
peterah
05th Oct 2006
Geoffrey4 Silver Member
05th Oct 2006
peterah
05th Oct 2006
Delta5
05th Oct 2006
Geoffrey4 Silver Member
06th Oct 2006
chetsta
08th Oct 2006
Editorman
15th Oct 2006
avsearle
10th Oct 2006
Calabrais
08th Oct 2006
petrieme
20th Oct 2006

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Wed 04-Oct-06 06:18 PM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

I've gotten good results using Color mode IIIa, saturation +, and sharpness +1 (rest set to auto). As for noise reduction, this only takes effect at iso 400 and above. Initially I used the High NR setting with very good results. However, after seeing a few comparisons where the high setting lost image sharpness, I've since dropped to Low or Normal. Also Noise Ninja works wonders for removing noise if you use Photoshop CS2. If you're not opposed this post processing, set the incamera NR to Low or off and just do it manually for better results.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

davidnark Registered since 07th Sep 2006Wed 04-Oct-06 07:02 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 1

Do you have any problems with shooting people in Color mode IIIa? I have read that it is not recommended for people shots.

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Wed 04-Oct-06 07:47 PM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 2

Naples, US

My people shots have come out great. The skin tones look just fine, even with in camera saturation set to +. In all honesty, I think the differences are very subtle between Ia and IIIa. If your skin tones look "off", I'd evaluate the white balance setting before blamining the color mode. Also, the monitor one is using can also contribute to a perceived skin tone problem. For now, my camera lives on IIIa and my shots are coming out great.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 05-Oct-06 05:50 AM
718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Durban, ZA

Currently I have the following custom settings chosen:
Tone: Normal
Sharpening: Medium High
Saturation: Normal
WB: Auto

I find this works out quite well at the moment - I shoot mostly in raw so have the option of chaning these settings in PP if they are a problem but I find that the only one that I need to consistently alter is the WB. The D80 just seems to be slightly off (erring on the blue side about 200-300 K less than it was on the day).

Noise reduction: Off
High ISO NR: Normal

I am also using AutoISO: Max ISO 800, Min shutter speed 1/125s.

Cheers
Pete

Peter
http://www.peterhowells.co.za

Geoffrey4 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Thu 05-Oct-06 11:54 AM
296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 4

Perth, AU

Pete

That's very interesting - I was just analysing my D80 photos today and one of my first thoughts was that I seemed to have a blueish tint to many of them.
The D80 is very new in Aust, I've only had mine 8 days and so far have only done outdoor photography in bright daylight.
After looking at my results so far, I'm thinking of leaving WB on Auto but using the WB fine-tuning option to set -1 or -2.

Geoffrey
In the golden west - Western Australia

Geoffrey

Western Australia
(a state nearly 4 times the area of Texas)

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 05-Oct-06 01:22 PM
718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 5

Durban, ZA

Hi Geoffrey
That is a good idea - didn't think of finetuning the WB - I always just do it afterwards in NX. Will certainly try that out. Thanks.

Peter
http://www.peterhowells.co.za

Delta5 Registered since 16th Jan 2006Thu 05-Oct-06 04:38 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 6

London, UK

I'm using colour mode II, and I've also found the AUTO WB a bit too blue.
Fine-tuning it seems to have worked, but as my monitor is calibrated for 6500°K, it occurred to me that I might be adjusting the camera to warm up (i.e. lower the °K) of what I see on the monitor!
When I get some time I plan to get an IT8 target and do some tests to figure it out.

Dv
"Live like you're going to die tomorrow, learn like you're going to live forever." - Gandhi

Dave
Blue Delta Photography

Geoffrey4 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Fri 06-Oct-06 12:00 AM
296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 7

Perth, AU

Hi

Thanks for your post, I'm interested to know that fine-tuning WB seems to be a good option.
I presume that such adjustments permanently alter JPGs, but if one records a NEF file that is not altered however the WB settings will affect how it displays in some Nikon software, and may be useable in some other software ?
Thanks
Geoffrey
In the golden west - Western Australia

Geoffrey

Western Australia
(a state nearly 4 times the area of Texas)

chetsta Registered since 14th Sep 2006Sun 08-Oct-06 01:04 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 8

AU

Great thread. I'll keep an eye on it when I get my D80.

Editorman Registered since 06th Sep 2006Sun 15-Oct-06 10:56 AM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 6

Toronto, CA

Pete;

Did you finetune the WB? What was the result?

Thanks.

Paul

Paul
Nikonian in Toronto

avsearle Registered since 11th Sep 2006Tue 10-Oct-06 11:26 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 5

Hi.Using a -1 or -2 on White Balance will warm piccies at least it does on the D200.
Regards
Avril
http://www.pbase.com/avsearle_101

Calabrais Registered since 05th Sep 2006Sun 08-Oct-06 02:23 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 0

US

At first I was using Saturation +1, Sharpening +2 and color mode IIIa, but my images were coming out too hard and contrasty.

So then I switched to sharpening none, contrast -2, saturation 0, and color mode Ia so I had the most flexibility to adjust the image the way I like it in Photoshop.

Now that Adobe has released a beta version of Camera Raw 3.6 that supports D80 RAW, I have been shooting only in RAW with spectacular results. To me, the quality between the two is uncomparable.

^
With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
~Unknown F1 Driver

My Gallery

petrieme Registered since 29th Jan 2007Fri 20-Oct-06 11:52 AM
606 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Your custom D80 settings"
In response to Reply # 10

US

calabrais- if your shooting "only in raw" then those camersa setting to do take effect...

-----
"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees." -William Blake

http://fstopstudios.blogspot.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #3694 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.