Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #367
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD card for D80" Previous topic | Next topic
jensmunk1 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Wed 02-Aug-06 10:21 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD card for D80"

Chicago, US

The Ken Rockwell site says the D80 will use a SD rather then CF card. Why would Nikon do that? I thought all the cameras from D70 and above used the CF card.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SD card for D80
blw Moderator
02nd Aug 2006
K1W1
02nd Aug 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
02nd Aug 2006
K1W1
02nd Aug 2006
F2AS
02nd Aug 2006
nwcs Silver Member
02nd Aug 2006
K1W1
03rd Aug 2006
nwcs Silver Member
03rd Aug 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
03rd Aug 2006
fspeeder
03rd Aug 2006
F2AS
03rd Aug 2006
yuzba
07th Aug 2006
Tiberius
07th Aug 2006
Nostromo
07th Aug 2006
fspeeder
07th Aug 2006
nwcs Silver Member
07th Aug 2006
pcnilssen
08th Aug 2006
Tiberius
08th Aug 2006
Nostromo
08th Aug 2006
barge
09th Aug 2006

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 02-Aug-06 10:51 AM
26579 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Because SD has a smaller form factor, is more reliable from a physical perspective, and is likely to be more cost-effective in the medium term. Probably most importantly, that is the form factor that will get the most R&D investment from the memory companies in the future. This is almost the same sort of transition that the computer industry went through in the early-90s when it went from 5.25" floppy disks (that were truly floppy) to 3.5" floppy disks that were hard-shell construction. Everyone hated having two formats, but we were already stuck with the old one, and the new one was clearly superior in almost every aspect.

Not that Ken Rockwell has any real information on the D80...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Wed 02-Aug-06 11:25 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 1

Melbourne, AU

From the photos that I have seen of the D80 it seems that it will definitely have SD (The cover looks identical to a D50 cover in size). As has been stated previously SD is the way of the future and I expect that most new models from now on will have this format.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Wed 02-Aug-06 05:31 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 1

AW

Just a guess -- I think there was a real estate trade off in the camera as well. Nikon would have looked at the overall size of this camera, analyzed material costs, tooling, etc, etc, then looked at what they were trying to cram in the camera from a features/functionality perspective and then decided which form factor card best suited all this criteria.

My 2 cents,

""

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Wed 02-Aug-06 08:10 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 3

Melbourne, AU

Also don't forget that the target market for this camera is probably P&S upgraders and D50 upgraders rather than D70 upgraders (who I suspect will be in the minority of D80 buyers) or D200 downgraders.
The actual target market now already use and own SD cards.

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Wed 02-Aug-06 09:21 PM
481 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 4

Washington, US

I guess we'll find out next week, but I suspect this camera is targeted more to D70/D70S upgraders than the D50 or maybe its replacing both. The lack of D70s/D50 availability sort of suggests that. From the specs I've seen so far, other than for its physical size, it's seems more like an advanced D70S to me. Again, we won't know for sure until its announced. The trend could be moving towards smaller cameras. Afterall, the sensor size is only 2/3 the size of 35mm, so it sort of makes sense that the cameras should be proportionately smaller too.

Mike

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 02-Aug-06 11:03 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

>Also don't forget that the target market for this camera is
>probably P&S upgraders and D50 upgraders rather than D70
>upgraders (who I suspect will be in the minority of D80
>buyers) or D200 downgraders.
>The actual target market now already use and own SD cards.

I agree. This is what I have been thinking ever since the rumor surfaced that it is SD memory. What really annoys me, though, is that you have to buy/upgrade to Capture NX if you want to keep using Capture (for raw processing) to use this new camera.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 03-Aug-06 01:36 AM
#7. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 6

Melbourne, AU

>I agree. This is what I have been thinking ever since the
>rumor surfaced that it is SD memory. What really annoys me,
>though, is that you have to buy/upgrade to Capture NX if you
>want to keep using Capture (for raw processing) to use this
>new camera.

Do you?
I assume that Capture won't have direct support for the D80 but I can't see any reason why you couldn't open a .NEF file and manually adjust it (unless Nikon are playing with encryption again).

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 03-Aug-06 11:07 AM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 7

Knoxville, US

That's true, it may be possible but then I might as well go back to ACR when Adobe gets that updated.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Thu 03-Aug-06 02:04 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 4

AW

I tend to disagree that this would not be an upgrade path for D70/s users. If I required an upgrade, this new camera would get serious consideration, (as long as it has mirror lockup!).

""

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Thu 03-Aug-06 02:24 PM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 9

Barrington, US

Based on Nikon's naming convention, D80 must have more advanced features than D70. It is definitely an upgrade from D70, probably not enough for some users though.

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Thu 03-Aug-06 03:37 PM
481 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 9

Washington, US

I would say the chance of mirror lockup is very slim. It's almost surprising they put it in the D200 given the F100 doesn't have it. I don't do heavy macro or shoot with 2000mm telephotos, so it really matters little to me. I've done test after test comparing images from my n80 to my F2AS (with mirror locked up), and could never see a spec of difference.

Mike

yuzba Registered since 05th Oct 2002Mon 07-Aug-06 06:24 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 0

FI

One possible reason is also the fact that using SD in D80 means that most professionals with D2x will choose D200 as a backup because of the same card type. So D80 will not eat the "backup for pros" market from D200. It's the basic Nikon idea since last century :O). The "prosumer" and pro-models can be almost alike, with only a few things missing from the prosumer ones. This creates a situation where the owner of the prosumer body thinks: "this is just as good as the pro-body" and still - the pros choose the more expensive one.

My humble guess on 9 major differences between D80 and D200:
1)D80 has SD-cards
2)D80 is not a completely sealed magnesium casted body, rather plastics all around
3)less AF-points (possibly 9)
4)no dynamic AF
5)Lower continous shooting (guess:3,5fr/s)
6)No mirror lockup
7)smaller buffer
8)no studio flash sync terminal
9)no GPS possibility

To me those differences would be more than enough for the price difference - and also for the D80 to not hurt the sales of D200.

Greetings,
Juha S.

Tiberius Registered since 24th Aug 2007Mon 07-Aug-06 01:20 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Lansing, US

All talk of the camera is still pure speculation for two more days anyway, but:

SD is superior to CF. Period. When Digital Photography first started entering into the Pro realm, SD wasn't mature enough and CF became the standard that has held on for no reason other than pros have piles of the stuff. SD is cheaper, smaller, less power-hungry, and in many cases faster. It's already taken over the entire P/S market for the most part, and it's finally starting the long-overdue replacement in the DSLR world. It's a one-time cost of buying more cards with plenty of long-term benefits. The D50 started the switch, and this is just bringing it one step up the ladder.

-Brian Beck

Nostromo Registered since 29th Apr 2006Mon 07-Aug-06 01:51 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 13

I have to agree on SD cards taking over...no big deal. I have big hands and can handle them just fine. I just bought a fast 1 gig SD card for 50 dollars. No big deal to buy more. Put it in the little case and it's CF sized! Smaller card means room for other features. A CF card is a waste of space.

Sam

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Mon 07-Aug-06 02:01 PM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 14

Barrington, US

not until they come up with 4gb and 8gb ones. 2gb cards are just too small for professionals.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 07-Aug-06 03:33 PM
#16. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 15

Knoxville, US

>not until they come up with 4gb and 8gb ones. 2gb cards are
>just too small for professionals.

I thought someone was releasing those sizes in SD memory in a month or so.

pcnilssen Registered since 05th Jan 2005Tue 08-Aug-06 11:13 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: SD card for D80"

NO

4 Gig SD cards are now available in Norway: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.asp?sku=322833

-----

Regards,
Per-Christian "PC" Nilssen
The Norwegian Nikonian

Tiberius Registered since 24th Aug 2007Tue 08-Aug-06 02:39 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#18. "RE: SD card for D80"

Lansing, US

The old adage "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" comes to mind. It takes all of two seconds to pull out an SD card and insert another, and whether CF or SD, I know plenty of photographers, amature and pro, who prefer multiple smaller cards to one giant one. Cards DO eventually die. Would you rather lose one hundred shots or one thousand?

-Brian Beck

Nostromo Registered since 29th Apr 2006Tue 08-Aug-06 04:27 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 18

The old adage "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" comes to mind. It takes all of two seconds to pull out an SD card and insert another, and whether CF or SD, I know plenty of photographers, amature and pro, who prefer multiple smaller cards to one giant one. Cards DO eventually die. Would you rather lose one hundred shots or one thousand?>>>

Very well said, Brian. I know 5 people who earn a living with their DSLRS (4 out of 5 are Nikon!) and ALL use smaller cards for that very reason. A full and dead 1 gig card is bad. A full and dead 4 gig card would be....the end of the world!

Sam

barge Registered since 07th May 2006Wed 09-Aug-06 05:25 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: SD card for D80"
In response to Reply # 19

CH

well this dinosaur isn't tossing perfectly fine cf cards for a new camera.

sd cards are too small for me, i loose em' or break em (coolpix)

no thanks

Shoot it!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #367 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.