nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #34340
View in linear mode

Subject: "Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities" Previous topic | Next topic
Sundance Registered since 27th Aug 2004Sat 02-Feb-08 02:11 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"

Gladwin,

Has anyone converted there D70 for infrared capabilities? Where could I have this done? Also, is it difficult to achieve good results?

Andy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities
Pete Wilson Gold Member
02nd Feb 2008
Sundance
03rd Feb 2008
dale_brown
05th Feb 2008
Sundance
06th Feb 2008
dale_brown
06th Feb 2008
Sundance
06th Feb 2008
dale_brown
06th Feb 2008
Sallybrown
11th Feb 2008
dale_brown
12th Feb 2008
Sundance
12th Feb 2008
Sallybrown
12th Feb 2008
dale_brown
12th Feb 2008
Sallybrown
12th Feb 2008
dale_brown
13th Feb 2008
Sallybrown
13th Feb 2008
dale_brown
13th Feb 2008
Sundance
12th Feb 2008
Sallybrown
27th Feb 2008
dale_brown
28th Feb 2008
dale_brown
28th Feb 2008
                                        Reply message I got my camera back from Life Pixel
dale_brown
28th Feb 2008
                                             Reply message RE: I got my camera back from Life Pixel
Sundance
28th Feb 2008
                                             Reply message First Images D-70-IR
dale_brown
29th Feb 2008
                                             Reply message RE: First Images D-70-IR
Sundance
29th Feb 2008
bcm75
29th Feb 2008
dale_brown
01st Mar 2008
dale_brown
01st Mar 2008
Sallybrown
29th Feb 2008
dale_brown
01st Mar 2008
                                             Reply message Goose Images
dale_brown
01st Mar 2008
                                             Reply message RE: Goose Images
Sundance
01st Mar 2008
Sallybrown
01st Mar 2008
dale_brown
01st Mar 2008
                                             Reply message RE: Goose Image
Sundance
02nd Mar 2008
mzj56j
02nd Mar 2008
Sallybrown
02nd Mar 2008
Sundance
07th Feb 2008
Reply message D-70 IR Focus
dale_brown
06th Mar 2008
Reply message RE: D-70 IR Focus
Sallybrown
07th Mar 2008
     Reply message RE: D-70 IR Focus
dale_brown
07th Mar 2008
          Reply message RE: D-70 IR Images
dale_brown
25th Mar 2008
Reply message D-70 IR Exposure
dale_brown
07th Mar 2008

Pete Wilson Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2004Sat 02-Feb-08 05:22 PM
867 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Orion, US

I have not converted my D70 as of yet but I have researched it. There are several companies that will convert them. The most popular seems to be life pixel. They will convert for you including adjustment in focus for a particular lens or you can purchase the DIY kit and do it yourself.

Pete Wilson
Nikonian from Lake Orion, Michigan
My Nikonians gallery

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Sundance Registered since 27th Aug 2004Sun 03-Feb-08 02:04 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 1

Gladwin,

Thanks for the info.

Andy

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Tue 05-Feb-08 04:12 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 2

Olympia, US

I sent my D-70 to them this weekend. I hope to have back next week and will post images and discuss what I find. I expect it to be much nicer than filters/tripods/guess exposure etc.

Sundance Registered since 27th Aug 2004Wed 06-Feb-08 12:01 AM
#4. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 3

Gladwin,

Thanks, I would appreciate you keeping me posted on the outcome. The reason I want to convert my D70 for infrared capabilities is because it just sits there since I purchased a D200 a year ago. Can't get much for it, so I thought I would try some infrared shots. Again, thanks for the info.

Andy

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Wed 06-Feb-08 12:21 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 4

Olympia, US

Hi,

Actually you are ahead of me. I've had a pair of D 200s for a year and half. I just found out about Life Pixel last fall and was real interested. I started looking for a used D 70 to buy and bought a grade 9+ from B&H a few weeks ago. Mine appears to have had no use at all. I specifically wanted a D 70 as the battery is the same as the D 200 and it uses CF cards same as my D 200s. I've also read that it makes a really good conversion.

Sundance Registered since 27th Aug 2004Wed 06-Feb-08 06:34 PM
#6. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 5

Gladwin,

Yes, I also heard that the D70 has had excellent results when converted to infrared capabilities. Let us hope.

Andy

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Wed 06-Feb-08 11:58 PM
#7. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 6

Olympia, US

I got an email today from Life Pixel telling me that they received my camera and would send it back within 5 to 10 working days from today. Actually UPS reported that they signed for it Monday morning. So much for getting it back this weekend. dale

Sallybrown Registered since 27th Oct 2007Mon 11-Feb-08 11:41 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I have just begun shooting with my converted D70, and it is a joy. I have found that compared to using a filter, those interminable shutter lags are behind me, and I can even shoot hand held with reasonable success. Best of all I can see what I am doing!

I have also found that shooting in sunlight is most helpful, although using a flash does help since it adds more infrared rays in dimmer light. I am looking forward to sunshine and greenery which are its natural settings.

All in all it is a new process compared to color photography, as is the editing in Photoshop, but the results can be stunning in a way different from traditional black and white.

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Tue 12-Feb-08 12:05 AM
#10. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 9

Olympia, US

I would be interested to know how well you think the matrix meter works. Are you bracketing and if so, how much. Also what lens are you using and how is the focus? I asked for mine to be adjusted for the standard 18-70mm lens and figured that would cover most of my lenses but I won't know until I try it.

I never thought about the SB-800 adding IR light. Interesting observation. thanks.

I'm expecting mine to be shipped back this week.

dale

Sundance Registered since 27th Aug 2004Tue 12-Feb-08 12:14 AM
#11. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 10

Gladwin,

Well I think I am convinced that converting my D70 will be fruitful. thanks for all your input.

Andy

Sallybrown Registered since 27th Oct 2007Tue 12-Feb-08 01:55 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"

US

As I have just started shooting with this camera, all of it indoors at the botanical garden, I have limited experience. I concentrated entirely on trying to get enough light into the camera. ( I have been told to use f/stops from 8 and smaller, and I could not open up the lens as much as I wanted to.) I didn't learn until later to use flash for more infrared, but I am not sure I would have used it anyway in those circumstances.

I shot entirely with an 18-200 Nikon lens, and since I usually use matrix, I never considered anything else this time. I never thought of bracketing either. All of these other considerations will have to come when we go on vacation and find sunshine and plenty of outdoor greenery.

But don't get me wrong, I did get a few wonderful shots that were helped along with Photoshop, including a black butterfly on a single flower and a string of orchids against a brick wall. Infrared creates stunning possibilities.

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Tue 12-Feb-08 02:11 AM
#13. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 12

Olympia, US

Thanks for your input. I believe the suggestion to use small f stops is to be sure the depth of field will insure your subject is in focus. IR focus is quite different from visible light as I'm sure everybody knows. Life Pixel adjusts the focus for a specific lens but they can't get it perfect for all of them. I'm real curiious how close they can get and how wide we can shoot with decent results.

I wish they would send my camera back. I'll go shoot in the Western Washington rain. I guess I better be careful, my D-70 isn't weather sealed like my D-200.

Sallybrown Registered since 27th Oct 2007Tue 12-Feb-08 06:41 PM
#15. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 13

US

One more suggestion for shooting. When I start editing my infrared photos by desaturating them in Photoshop Camera Raw, I watch the original histogram on screen. It is amazing to see how all the colors squish together in the midrange no matter where they started, even though I thought I had a much wider range when I shot.

I figure that I may need to overexpose to get a satisfactory initial histogram in gray scale, and certainly I cannot underexpose. I don't want to start stretching the pixels any more than necessary and create a lot of noise.

Shooting infrared seems to be quite a different experience.

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Wed 13-Feb-08 02:20 AM
#16. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 15

Olympia, US

Hi, I'm a little bit confused by your post. Why would you desaturate what I assume is a black and white image? Did you have a color filter of some sort installed?

But no matter, I don't don't see any way that changing saturation will have any impact on the histogram. I just spent some time in CS 2 to see if I could force a change but to the best of my skill, it has no impact at all.

I'd sure like to know what you are trying to accomplish and maybe you could post a sample image etc.

Hope you are having fun... dale

Sallybrown Registered since 27th Oct 2007Wed 13-Feb-08 04:17 AM
#17. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Infrared photos customarily arrive on the computer monitor in some shade of red or orange, not black and white. Mine from my recently converted D70 are magenta. My old ones from a filtered D70 were red.

If you want black and white, the quickest route is an immediate desaturation which produces a grayscale, but not the same grayscale that comes from converting ordinary color photos. Or you can go with the white balance eyedropper which for me produces taupe with a hint of pink, just as a starting point.

You may not agree with my observations, nor do you have to, but on my monitor, all the colors shrink into a solid mass of white in the middle of the histogram, not anyway near close enough to the black and white end points for my satisfaction, even though the histogram on my camera indicated that I was exposing pretty well.

I will need to develop some new strategies to get the distribution I want, but it is well worth it since I find infrared to be a wonderful art form.

I don't know how to post photos on this site, but the ones I have are straight black and white since I edited them to be that way.

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Wed 13-Feb-08 05:13 PM
#18. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 17

Olympia, US

Hi,

It is not my intent to offend you. I am trying to understand what you are dealing with.

I am really surprized to hear that you are experiencing a color cast to your images. I would not expect that.

Since I don't understand what is happening, I'm not going to make any more posts here until I get my camera back and can see for myself. They have had it for 10 days now so I should get it back soon.

When I do get it back, I'll post some images here.

Sundance Registered since 27th Aug 2004Tue 12-Feb-08 05:28 PM
#14. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 12

Gladwin,

Thanks for your input. Sounds like you have some wonderful photography times coming.

Andy

Sallybrown Registered since 27th Oct 2007Wed 27-Feb-08 06:04 PM
#19. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"

US

Hi Dale,

We have just returned from a Photoshop cruise to the eastern Caribbean, and I have not yet downloaded my ir photos. Anyway here are my new thoughts- getting the right subject matter is the greatest issue since complicated greenery will not work at all. Water turns black so waterfalls look very peculiar. Clear blue skies are the best, and I like them without clouds, since white clouds and white foliage merge unattractively. Animals are black and look great. I haven't had a chance to do people properly.

I shot with both a Nikon 18-200 and a 70-300, always matrix at this beginning point. Brackets don't work since there is very little difference in my one stop possibilities-they are almost identical. I also shot for CS3 merge, about 10 shots, but I haven't put the together yet so I don't know if that works. I certainly hope so, for good landscapes with proper content, and I plan to pursue this as far as I can get it to go.

After I get going on my photos I will know more about exposure, since i think that there are complicated issues here. I shot so that my histograms looked good, but I don't know how they will turn out.

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Thu 28-Feb-08 12:09 AM
#20. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 19

Olympia, US

Hi,

I said I wasn't going to post here again until I got my camera back and could better understand what I was dealing with. Well UPS tells me that it is currently out for delivery.

I'll send a report when I get it in my hands.

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/167351/cat/500

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Thu 28-Feb-08 12:09 AM
#21. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 19

Olympia, US

Hi,

I said I wasn't going to post here again until I got my camera back and could better understand what I was dealing with. Well UPS tells me that it is currently out for delivery.

I'll send a report when I get it in my hands.

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Thu 28-Feb-08 02:31 AM
#22. "I got my camera back from Life Pixel"
In response to Reply # 21

Olympia, US

First of all, sorry about the double post. I don't know how that happened.

UPS delivered my camera about one hour ago.

The good news is that I bought a grade 9+ used camera from B&H that is like brand new. They did the modification and returned to me my camera in the same grade 9+ condition. There is no indication that it has been taken apart at all. I watched their do it yourself video so I know what they did. On the exterior I rate this a 1st class job.

The bad news is that they advertize a 5 to 10 working day turn around. They signed for my camera on 4 Feb and shipped it back on 26 Feb. That is 22 days. I called them Monday of this week and they were very nice. They are very busy as demand is high and they also are having to wait for suppliers to send them the replacement filters. So at least for the time being, I wouldn't expect a quick turn if you send them your camera for conversion.

It is now dark here and I don't want to start experimenting with IR photography at night. There are enough issues to work through without adding darkness to the mix. I'm not a pro photographer but I have a job which requires me to use my photo equipment. I will take my new toy to work with me tomorrow and by tomorrow evening I will post an image that we can discuss.

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

Sundance Registered since 27th Aug 2004Thu 28-Feb-08 07:49 PM
#23. "RE: I got my camera back from Life Pixel"
In response to Reply # 22

Gladwin,

I would be interested in seeing one of your ir photos. Hope all goes well with your new toy.

Andy

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Fri 29-Feb-08 02:02 AM
#24. "First Images D-70-IR"
In response to Reply # 23

Olympia, US

Hi all,

It was a drab drizzly day this morning but by afternoon we had some sunbreaks and I got a couple of shots to share. First some observations about the camera.

Color cast to the images. Sally Brown reported a red cast to her images. I believe that is true. When I sent my camera to Life Pixel, I had the White Balance set to A. When I got it back, it was set to Pre. Today I found out that if I shot with WB of A I get a red cast to the image. If I shoot to Pre, I get a pure gray scale. NO color at all. They seem to have set a custom white balance that takes the cast out of the images. But I have no way to determine what color temperture they have set. that is all a custom setting is anyway. A specific color temperture. None of my software will report the exact temperture used. It just says Custom setting 0. I just plan to leave it in pre all the time. Jpgs are just fine and usable right out of the camera.

Focus. I had them adjust the camera to focus for IR with the Nikon 18-70mm AF-S lens. I don't use this lens but that is their standard conversion and I figured it would work for my Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 and my Sigma 10-20mm f/4 lenses that I intend to use on this camera most of the time. Today I didn't push focus issues. The images below are either f/8 or f/6.3 and the subject is far in the distance. I'll experiment with focus later.

Exposure. I used matrix metering and bracketed. For these conditions, I found that + 1.0 EV to be most pleasing to my eye. I for sure did not like the under exposed shots. The -1.0 or -2.0 EV NEF files are really strange. Not what I was expecting at all. I'll post on those later when I better understand what is happening.

Here are two images from this afternoon. Noting worth bragging about. Just a field next to my job site.

f/8 1/160s 20mm
f/6.3 1/320s 20mm

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Sundance Registered since 27th Aug 2004Fri 29-Feb-08 07:23 PM
#25. "RE: First Images D-70-IR"
In response to Reply # 24

Gladwin,

If these are your first attempts at ir, congratulations......I think your on your way to some great shots. They look pretty good to me.

Andy

bcm75 Basic MemberFri 29-Feb-08 10:40 PM
1209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: First Images D-70-IR"
In response to Reply # 25

Northbrook, US

My D70 is in the hands of UPS coming back from Lifepixel. I should have something to report next week.

Brian Morrison
My Nikonians Gallery | The Nikonians Team
My Website | My Blog

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Sat 01-Mar-08 12:03 AM
#29. "RE: First Images D-70-IR"
In response to Reply # 26

Olympia, US

Hi, good for you. Please stay in touch. I think we can all learn from each other in this area.

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Sat 01-Mar-08 12:02 AM
#28. "RE: First Images D-70-IR"
In response to Reply # 25

Olympia, US

Hi, thanks you for kind words. I intend to do some "informal" testing of focus and will post some results so people can judge how well this concept works. I expect decent results with wide angle lenses at mid f stops. I also expect major problems with telephoto lenses @ f/2.8. We will see.

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

Sallybrown Registered since 27th Oct 2007Fri 29-Feb-08 10:49 PM
#27. "RE: First Images D-70-IR"

US

You are definitely up and running!

How does one post photos in this system? I have a couple of my first onesI like, and a few more of our deep snow that may actually turn out. It is hard to see on a little screen, but I am hopeful even though I have not heard that snow is a good subject.

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Sat 01-Mar-08 12:06 AM
#30. "RE: First Images D-70-IR"
In response to Reply # 27

Olympia, US

Hi Sally, When I make a post, there is a link at the bottom of the screen where you type text that has a link called: "Click here to choose your attachments". Click there and navigate to the location of your image on your hard drive. Then upload it and submit your post.

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Sat 01-Mar-08 03:05 AM
#31. "Goose Images"

Olympia, US

I'm not thrilled with the background of this image but I wanted to share a shot of birds.

This is my 17-55mm f/2.8 lens @ 55mm

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

Sundance Registered since 27th Aug 2004Sat 01-Mar-08 05:22 PM
#32. "RE: Goose Images"
In response to Reply # 31

Gladwin,

Again it looks like good results.

The lens that I will use for my ir conversion is the Nikkor 35-70 f/2.8. I will ask for there standard lens conversion for the Nikon D200. I hope I will not run into any problems .

Andy

Sallybrown Registered since 27th Oct 2007Sat 01-Mar-08 10:10 PM
#33. "RE: Goose Images"
In response to Reply # 31

US

Hi Dale,

I do not seem to see the place to click for attachments, perhaps because I have a free account.

Do you have a paid account?

Sally

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Sat 01-Mar-08 11:08 PM
#34. "RE: Goose Images"
In response to Reply # 33

Olympia, US

Hi Sally,

Yes, I have a silver account. I'm not sure what all the rules are but that may be the reason.

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

Sundance Registered since 27th Aug 2004Sun 02-Mar-08 12:41 AM
#35. "RE: Goose Image"
In response to Reply # 34

Gladwin,

I do not have an account either. I am able to view the attchments but I do not believe I can post images.

Andy

mzj56j Registered since 09th Feb 2007Sun 02-Mar-08 02:53 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: First Images D-70-IR"

US

Based on my experience with a modified (by lifepixel) Canon G3
(what I had BEFORE buying a D70), shoot raw, or at least
raw+jpg.  There are lots of ways of working with white balance
and tweaking the color mix (red <-> blue swaps are
pretty interesting).  Some of these color swaps are more
interesting with an alternative wb that may not be obvious
when taking the shot.  

Just my $0.02 (and devaluing daily it seems)

russ

Sallybrown Registered since 27th Oct 2007Sun 02-Mar-08 04:06 AM
#37. "RE: First Images D-70-IR"
In response to Reply # 36

US

Hi Russ,

I think I understand about messing around with the WB in Camera Raw, but I was thinking more of working just with particular areas.

I would be most interested in hearing about the color swaps that you mentioned, and what color space you are using for this. Are you masking to do this or doing something else?

thanks from Sally

Sundance Registered since 27th Aug 2004Thu 07-Feb-08 12:18 AM
#8. "RE: Converting a D70 to Infrared Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 5

Gladwin,

Hang in there, that's how most things work now days.

Andy

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Thu 06-Mar-08 11:51 PM
#38. "D-70 IR Focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

Hi all,

I don't have the equipment or the interest in doing a scientific test of the camera's focus. However, I did notice early on that it seems to want to focus behind my intended subject with my 17-55 mm f2.8 lens. Of course, the closer you are to the subject the more apparent the error is.

Here are two images I shot. In both cases, the actual point of focus is the rose branch on the left. The actual focus is the branch just to the right.

The lens is the 17-55mm f2.8 @ 55mm. The shooting distance is 3 feet. The distance from the intended focus point to the actual focus is 3 inches.

The first images is shot at f2.8 and the second is f8. The rest of the shooting data is the same for both images except of course the shutter speed changed.

The f8 shot brings the intended subject more into focus from DOF but it is not the same photo. I think in critical images, I'll start to manually bring the focus a little bit toward me. How much is going to be a guess.

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Sallybrown Registered since 27th Oct 2007Fri 07-Mar-08 01:11 AM
#39. "RE: D-70 IR Focus"
In response to Reply # 38

US

Hi Dale,

I have been told that it is best not to go wider than f8 because of these very focussing problems. There is some way of establishing a proper focus manually shooting newsprint and then marking the exterior of the lens with a dot. Perhaps someone else knows how to do this.

I am still learning about the peculiarities of exposure. My camera tells me that the exposure is quite good, and Photoshop CS3 tells me that I have underexposed rather a lot, so I guess I will have to develop better intuition. Actually the blacks aren't right either, and the whole photo sits in the middle of my histogram in CS3 and has to be expanded in both directions. However, most photos don't need the entire range, so I am managing pretty well to tease photos into looking good.

All in all I am fascinated with ir photography, and sometimes I forget to shoot with my regular D80 which is sitting right next to me.

Sally

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Fri 07-Mar-08 02:13 AM
#40. "RE: D-70 IR Focus"
In response to Reply # 39

Olympia, US

Hi Sally,

Most of the time I think, especially landscapes, using DOF to get stuff in focus is fine. But these Life Pixel cameras are supposed to be adjusted to focus for IR not visible light. The problem is that every lens is unique and my camera is adjusted for the 18-70mm AF-S lens which I don't use. So I'm doing some informal testing. I now know that my 17-55mm lens focuses 3 inches behind the subject at close range. I can now adjust for that when needed.

In the images I posted, even the f8 one is not sharp at the point of focus. Much better to get it right if you can when you are up close with shallow DOF.

In the old days, Nikon gave us IR focus marks on the lenses. I still have some like that but they stopped that practice many years ago.

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Tue 25-Mar-08 12:27 AM
#42. "RE: D-70 IR Images"
In response to Reply # 40

Olympia, US

Hi all,

I have started a gallery of my IR images. See link below.

I continue to find that +1.7 EV or more is needed to get the exposure correct. I'm also finding that shadow detail is much better than I would expect from visible light.

It is still a bit on the winter side here and I expect this camera to be a bit more fun when the weather warms up.

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

dale_brown Registered since 05th Feb 2008Fri 07-Mar-08 02:28 AM
#41. "D-70 IR Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

I am finding that a +1.3 to +1.7 EV adjustment the shot in normal daylight conditions gets me a reasonable exposure. Shooting RAW and post in NX fixes any issues. My histograms look like a normal image that might be some underexposed.

I haven't done a lot indoors with the SB-800 yet but enough to know that the strobe needs to be set for +1.0 as well as the camera for even close work.

dale

My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #34340 Previous topic | Next topic