Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #343
View in linear mode

Subject: "Order D80" Previous topic | Next topic
ttedrow Registered since 31st Jul 2006Mon 31-Jul-06 10:20 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Order D80"

US

It's looking like the new D80 is going to be my first NIKON. Now I need some advice on the best place to order the D80. Do some dealers have better access (faster) to new equipment?

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I will have many more question.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Order D80
Covey22 Moderator
31st Jul 2006
JHTGlobal
05th Aug 2006
fspeeder
08th Aug 2006
Skijon
31st Jul 2006
briantilley Moderator
01st Aug 2006
jkempster
01st Aug 2006
RWCooper Silver Member
01st Aug 2006
DrJay32 Gold Member
01st Aug 2006
fspeeder
01st Aug 2006
John Garth
01st Aug 2006
fspeeder
01st Aug 2006
F2AS Silver Member
01st Aug 2006
fspeeder
01st Aug 2006
bachman
02nd Aug 2006
RyanHawker
08th Aug 2006
opticspatents
08th Aug 2006
LAR860
08th Aug 2006
gpoole Platinum Member
08th Aug 2006
LAR860
08th Aug 2006
opticspatents
08th Aug 2006
fgottlieb
08th Aug 2006
fspeeder
08th Aug 2006
nwcs Silver Member
08th Aug 2006

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 31-Jul-06 10:51 PM
10769 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You're going to see minimal supplies in the first few weeks of delivery (that date is still to be determined). We recommend you consider checking with the big retailers like B&H, Adorama, Berger Brothers and Roberts Imaging. As major volume sellers, they're likely to have access to units ahead of others.

(Editorial disclosure: the latter two vendors are Corporate Sponsors of Nikonians - they also regularly offer discounting to our members)

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

JHTGlobal Registered since 01st Jun 2006Sat 05-Aug-06 02:46 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 1

TH

Hi! I am based in Thailand. I just spoke to a salesperson of one of the shops here selling D200 for like 65,000+++ Baht.

I asked them when is D80 coming out? They told me the next two weeks. And the price is roughly 50,000 Baht (just try to convert it in your own currencies). What a minimal difference!!! Why do you think so guys? Did the same thing happened before?

Just got my D50 a month ago. And I am still enjoying it a lot! But, it remains to be seen if D80 is gonna be that attractive! But one thing for sure, I'll be able to play with it soon.

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Tue 08-Aug-06 12:29 PM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 13

Barrington, US

That is about the price difference between 30D and D200. Makes sense to me.

Skijon Registered since 20th May 2004Mon 31-Jul-06 11:46 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I think i'm going to get mine (unless it comes out too expensive) through ritz. they are the only company that has a warenty that includes droping it getting it wet, almost anything. Cause nikon is price fixing its not going to be any cheeper at adorama or b & h. don't kno if this helps, skijon

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 01-Aug-06 07:08 AM
29141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians, Tim!

Where are you located? If you would fill out your profile, it would be easier to answer your question

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jkempster Registered since 29th Jun 2004Tue 01-Aug-06 11:57 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 3

Louisville, US

I have always had good luck with a local vendor. In Louisville, KY we have Murphy's Camera. They have been around for quite awhile. I got a D200 and an 18-200 lens way back in December from them with no problem at all.

So go check out a local vendor.

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004Tue 01-Aug-06 12:18 PM
978 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 4

Winnipeg, CA

>I have always had good luck with a local vendor.

That's been my experience as well. Got my D200 in December as well. Got my MB-D200 and AC adapter in January.

I often find that my local camera shop has in stock items others can't seem to find.

I have a good relationship with the staff and they seem to go out of their way to keep me statisfied. I may spend a few extra dollars on some items but its worth it to me if it means I can pop in and get what I want when I want it.

Randy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Tue 01-Aug-06 01:16 PM
3327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Roberts and Berger Bros. all have very responsive people who will put you on a waiting list to get one of the first bodies. I'm not sure about the wait-list policy over at B&H, Adorama, or Ritz. All are reputable dealers, and the price will be either the same or close at all of them.

Anyone trying to sell you one for less than the advertised price at the aforementioned dealers will be running a scam-- avoid them like the plague and save yourself the headaches.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
www.luminescentphoto.com

Listen to The Image Doctors

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, Moving to Lightroom: Image Processing and Workflow

www.luminescentphoto.com

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Tue 01-Aug-06 02:14 PM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Barrington, US

I bet the D80 will not be as hard to get as the D200. Just look at how active this forum is compared to D200 forum before it was introduced.

I would choose B&H. Place an order and before you get shipping notice you know by which day you will get it.

I placed an order of EN-EL3e couple of weeks ago from Ritz. Waited for a week nothing happened. I called and cancelled the order, ordered it from B&H when it was in stock at B&H. Got the battery from B&H in 3 days. Yesterday, the battery from Ritz was delivered to my front door.

John Garth Registered since 10th Jun 2006Tue 01-Aug-06 09:02 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I've ordered 8 en-el3e's on 4 separate occassions from Ritz within the last month....all of the orders arrived well within a week. and they sent me tracking number the day of the shipping. I am very pleased with their service.

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Tue 01-Aug-06 09:29 PM
#9. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 8

Barrington, US

Ritz has a 4.62 out of 10 rating while B&H has 9.3 out of 10, at www.resellerratings.com

F2AS Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2005Tue 01-Aug-06 10:35 PM
485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 7

Washington, US

Do you think the D80 or D200 forums were more active? I know there were a lot of posts with the D200, but there seems to be equally as much interest if not more in this new camera. I hope it's not too hard to find as I plan on making the D80 my first DSLR purchase if it pans out OK. It would be nice to have it before the fall picture taking season, but that may be a little too hopeful.

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Tue 01-Aug-06 11:10 PM
#11. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 10

Barrington, US

D200 forum was a lot more active before its introduction than the D80 right now. I guess people had waited 3 years for it.

I bet D80 would not be as hard to find as the D200.

bachman Registered since 06th Feb 2006Wed 02-Aug-06 09:40 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If Nikon does the same as the D200 than it seem the big box stores like Best Buy and Circut City will have more than their share of D80's over B&H and Adorama. With the big box store be prepare to pay taxes.

RyanHawker Basic MemberTue 08-Aug-06 11:56 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 12

Middletown, Md, US

On my first D70 I used Cametta,after an arguement with a hotshot salesman I changed vendors. Since then I have used B+H for everthing else. I order it on a Monday afternoon and get it Tuesday by 18:00. Standard UPS. I have yet to have a problem with anything I have purchased. One thing I do is order online. I don't like talking to salesmen. I try to do my research through this web most the time and then make the purchase. This is one great advantage of being a Nikonian! I think B+H has done a great job in setting up their website. Now to decide if it will be the 80 or 200. I'll be checking the reports on NIKONIANS.

Bill Ryan
Middletown,Md

opticspatents Registered since 05th Jul 2006Tue 08-Aug-06 12:43 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Order D80"

US

>With the big box store be prepare to pay taxes.

Hate to break it to you, but in most US states, you owe sales (sometimes called use) taxes anyway. Just because the seller isn't obligated to collect them doesn't mean you're not obligated to pay them.

Rob

LAR860 Registered since 10th Dec 2005Tue 08-Aug-06 02:13 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Hate to break it to you, but you're wrong on two counts. 1) If they don't collect you're not obligated to pay it--it's up to the retailer, not the customer to provide sales taxes to the state, if it's required. 2) if an on-line retailer does not have a physical presence in the buyer's state, then in most cases sales-tax is not required.

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Tue 08-Aug-06 02:42 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 17

Farmington Hills, US

Hate to break it to you, but you're wrong, at least for Michigan!

On the Michigan state income tax form there is an item to report sales tax due on items purchased from out of state. If the seller has a business presence in Michigan, the seller is obligated to collect the sales tax; if not I am obligated to pay the tax when I file my state income tax return. I sure many Michigan tax payers "forget" about some of these out of state purchases when they file their return.

It may be just symantics but the Michigan sale tax is called a "Use Tax."

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

LAR860 Registered since 10th Dec 2005Tue 08-Aug-06 03:48 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 18

US

>Hate to break it to you, but you're wrong, at least for
>Michigan!
>

I'll alert the media.
yes, some states have moved to try to collect sales taxes, disingenuously calling them "use taxes". It's a scam. Among them MI, TN, CA, UT, TX, FL, ME, SC, CT, WI, NJ, among others. They're difficult to collect and in many cases based completely upon the honor system. It's purpose is to protect local retailers. Why should anyone pay a tax to their state for a sale from an entity completely across the country? It's nonsense.

opticspatents Registered since 05th Jul 2006Tue 08-Aug-06 05:32 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 19

US

>I'll alert the media.
yes, some states have moved to try to collect sales taxes, disingenuously calling them "use taxes". It's a scam. Among them MI, TN, CA, UT, TX, FL, ME, SC, CT, WI, NJ, among others. They're difficult to collect and in many cases based completely upon the honor system. It's purpose is to protect local retailers. Why should anyone pay a tax to their state for a sale from an entity completely across the country? It's nonsense.

It what way is it a scam? In the states that have a use tax, it's just as legitimate as any other state-mandated taxes. I suppose you can choose not to pay it, but that's tax evasion, don't fool yourself. It's no different from failing to declare gambling winnings on your federal taxes.

My only point was that you don't avoid tax by ordering from B&H or others (at least in states that have such a tax). It is possible to evade the tax, but that's not the same as no tax being due.

Rob

fgottlieb Registered since 01st Jun 2006Tue 08-Aug-06 03:58 PM
292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Order D80"

US

>If Nikon does the same as the D200 than it seem the big box
>stores like Best Buy and Circut City will have more than
>their share of D80's over B&H and Adorama. With the big box
>store be prepare to pay taxes.

Also prepare to pay more money for them! I was looking to buy new lenses and the prices for Best Buy and Circuit City were always higher than anyone else. And on top you have to pay taxes and sometimes shipping!

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Tue 08-Aug-06 04:26 PM
#21. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Barrington, US

It is here

http://static.flickr.com/91/210210193_a58c4721f4.jpg < /img>

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 08-Aug-06 09:45 PM
6874 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Order D80"
In response to Reply # 21

Knoxville, US

Wow, do I get her if I buy a D80? I'm glad I'm single.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #343 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.