Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #319
View in linear mode

Subject: "New Nikon lens shown on D80?" Previous topic | Next topic
edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 27-Jul-06 02:05 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New Nikon lens shown on D80?"

eugene, US

Pictues on French Web site of the new D80? appear to have a new lens with more zoom range than the current 18-70.

Any hints.

Link http://www.photim.net/nci/discu.php3?code=20060706071502MIKL#O147

ledmun

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New Nikon lens shown on D80?
Seth_Leigh
27th Jul 2006
KliftonJK
27th Jul 2006
zalan
27th Jul 2006
carellic
27th Jul 2006
briantilley Moderator
02nd Aug 2006
kocho
16th Jan 2008
nikosR
02nd Aug 2006

Seth_Leigh Registered since 04th Jun 2004Thu 27-Jul-06 05:38 AM
689 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New Nikon lens shown on D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Queen Creek, US

Link?

-----------------------
My skimpy Nikonians image gallery
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

-----------------------
My skimpy Nikonians image gallery
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

KliftonJK Basic MemberThu 27-Jul-06 11:14 AM
432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New Nikon lens shown on D80?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Looks like an 18-135mm similar to the 18-55mm. Just a guess though. Wish it had some form of VR and was f/3.5-4.5. It won't be, but that'd be cool...

zalan Registered since 11th Dec 2005Thu 27-Jul-06 11:33 AM
600 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New Nikon lens shown on D80?"
In response to Reply # 2

HU

It seems to be that no VR on the lens and the 18-55 type AF-S motor, so it will be a cheap lens. Info is from Thom Hogan.

---
Zalán Szabó
www.szabozalan.hu

---
Zalán Szabó
www.szabozalan.hu

carellic Basic MemberThu 27-Jul-06 02:23 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New Nikon lens shown on D80?"
In response to Reply # 2

Modena, IT

I would really love an 18-135, best if VR, but does not look like that. This would stay on the D80 as comfortably as the 18-200 stays on the D200

Claudio

Claudio

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 02-Aug-06 10:08 AM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New Nikon lens shown on D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Let's continue the speculation in this thread over in the Nikkors Forum.

Thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

kocho Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:11 PM
1756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New Nikon lens shown on D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Metro DC, US

>Pictues on French Web site of the new D80? appear to have a
>new lens with more zoom range than the current 18-70.
>
>Any hints.
>
>Link
>http://www.photim.net/nci/discu.php3?code=20060706071502MIKL#O147

This is definitely not the 18-55 lens. I enlarged the fairly poor photo in the link and also a similarly positioned one off Thom's site (of a D70s with the 18-55) and some differences are immediately clear.

You tell me what you see, but it looks like there are three digits just next to the infinity symbol on the new lens, so it may be over 100mm on the ling end. It also would seem silly to me to release a short-medium telephoto that would not start from 18mm on a DX format...

It also looks like the front element is wider in diameter than the 18-55, so this also supports my thinking that this is either longer telephoto and/or faster aperture...

The length of the lens also seems bigger comapred to the 18-55. Hard to tell as the angles are a bit different, but looking relatively at the lens size and the body... That is assuming the two bodies are similarly sized that is, at least on the width dimension...

The fact that is does not have any markings on the front also suggests that this is a new lens...

That's all I can think of...

My PBase Gallery Favorites

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

nikosR Basic MemberWed 02-Aug-06 06:52 AM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New Nikon lens shown on D80?"
In response to Reply # 7

Athens, GR

This lens does not look at all like the cheap D50 kit lenses. It looks like it has a proper focus ring (the one closer to the body). It also looks like it goes up to 3 digit focal length number. It is most probably an IF lens with the front not rotating nor expanding / retracting during focusing. The AFS system might be the cheap type (just A/M not A-M/M) although it's hard to read the writing on the focus mode switch. Does not look like it is a VR lens.

I think this will be more a 18-70 class of lens than a 18-55.

Nikos
A Nikonian from Athens, Greece

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #319 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.