Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #2984
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm" Previous topic | Next topic
Agentsmith Registered since 12th Sep 2006Tue 19-Sep-06 03:45 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"

US

First post here for us....
I bought my wife a D80 last week, body only as we have lenses. I use a D200 and D50 for a second body. I generally keep the 18-200VR mounted on the D50 and the 17-55DX stays on the D200. A second 18-200VR is on her D80.
I feel, after shooting for several months with the D200 that I've gotten pretty good with it. At least compared to the better stuff I see online, my images look pretty good. I also do occasional event shooting and the D200 has been really solid.
Last week my D50 died without warning, almost like a BGLOD problem. LCD dead and camera came back to life once then made a odd clack sound and stayed dead. Sent it to Nikon. I had a party to shoot and grabbed the D80. It was not a critical gig, so I did some lens swapping there and came home to compare images. I shot mostly fine Jpegs, but also some RAW.
The results were shocking. Everything from the D80 had more snap, obviously better sharpness and, at higher ISO's was less noise. The D80 gave me some images that the D200 could have matched, but only with PP across the board. I made more than 50 8X10 prints and the D80 photos also looked better there. Specifically, they looked smoother and more like film to my eye. My wife agreed and had already felt the D80 took better shots.
Shooting outdoors, I still felt like D200 gave me a tad more latitude in DR. The D80 seems curved towards that "pop" that can also cause blowouts easier.
My bottom line is that the D80 is giving more pleasing images than the D200, even in RAW. I don't know exactly what Nikon did, but I sure wish the D200 had this ability. Some groups claim you can curve the D200 to do the same thing, but I don't see anyone doing that yet. My D80 shots look better in a very natural and unprocessed way. I'm very impressed.
I'll keep the D200 because it's still better when shooting motion due to it's frame rate. And in no way would I say that the D200 doesn't take stunning images. It's just that the D80 takes them a bit easier and there's just no getting away from the D80's excellent in camera processing. While some pixel peepers and D200 owners will claim otherwise, I feel that the D200 owners would love to see their pics, especially Jpegs, looking like the D80's.
Someone shot some bills at DPreview and posted the crops from D80 and D200. The D80 shots look much nicer. As a long time semi pro I really can't defend the D200 image quality against the D80. I guess it's just the newer more refined unit and perhaps the D60 will be even better and cost even less. That's progress for you!
Well, those are my observations. My wife loves her D80 and now I know why. BTW, the D80 MUST have the grip for proper handling, especially with larger lenses like the 70-200vr.

Duane and Fee in Ohio

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm
jeffmeyers Silver Member
19th Sep 2006
Almark
19th Sep 2006
jeffmeyers Silver Member
19th Sep 2006
doobes
19th Sep 2006
hwdx347 Silver Member
19th Sep 2006
ZDude
19th Sep 2006
Agentsmith
19th Sep 2006
mfprysl
20th Sep 2006
Agentsmith
20th Sep 2006
Agentsmith
20th Sep 2006
westcoast Silver Member
20th Sep 2006
Agentsmith
20th Sep 2006
fir3bird
20th Sep 2006
Agentsmith
20th Sep 2006
fir3bird
20th Sep 2006
dwayner
20th Sep 2006
Agentsmith
20th Sep 2006
Reply message D80 vs D200 handling with 18-200mm
gettingbetter
20th Sep 2006
Reply message RE: D80 vs D200 handling with 18-200mm
jeffmeyers Silver Member
20th Sep 2006
gettingbetter
20th Sep 2006
gettingbetter
20th Sep 2006
Agentsmith
20th Sep 2006
lairdoflumreekie
20th Sep 2006
lifanus
20th Sep 2006
Agentsmith
20th Sep 2006
Necaris
21st Sep 2006
Agentsmith
21st Sep 2006
Necaris
21st Sep 2006
rkwoo
21st Sep 2006
Agentsmith
21st Sep 2006
danai
23rd Sep 2006
Dacoz
23rd Sep 2006

jeffmeyers Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 25th Aug 2006Tue 19-Sep-06 04:26 PM
623 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 0

Crestwood, US

Duane: when you say "grip" in your last sentence do you mean this:

http://tinyurl.com/pwkax

The battery pack? Or something else?

Thanks

JJM

Jeff Meyers
Lumos Galleries

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Almark Registered since 17th Sep 2006Tue 19-Sep-06 04:36 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

That would be it. In another thread someone commented that they thought the battery grip was a bit hollow. Some wag pointed out that you had to put batteries in it!

Anyway, I am very surprised to hear and the differences between a D200 and D80, or at least one D80 and one D200. It will be interesting to see what others, who have access to both, have to say.

All the best
Mark
Almark Web Design | Photo Galleries | Sjogrens Syndrome Resource Site

All the best
Mark
My Flickr Site

jeffmeyers Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 25th Aug 2006Tue 19-Sep-06 04:44 PM
623 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 2

Crestwood, US

Thank you, Duane. I have very little experience with the D200, so I can't say anything about your comparison. I've used Nikon film SLR's since 1973, when I got my first F-2. I finally got into serious digital imaging with the D70 a few years ago when it debuted. But I was not every very happy with the quality of images I got from my D70. I was glad to sell it this summer when I heard about the D80 was coming. I got my D80 last week and so far it has exceeded my expectations. I'm quite pleased with the quality and color, as you say, the "snap" the images have.

I've got a 18-200 VR on order, so I may check into getting the grip.

Thanks.
JJM

Jeff Meyers
Lumos Galleries

doobes Registered since 25th Feb 2004Tue 19-Sep-06 06:38 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 0

Reston, US

This reminds me a bunch of the D50 vs D70 comparisons made when the D50 was first introduced. Having a D200, I'm a bit envious of the images you describe. I've looked hard to see if there were any custom curves around to help the D200, but the consensus seemed to be that the camera didn't need it.

H'mmmm,

Chris

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 19-Sep-06 07:34 PM
6240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 4

Maumelle, US

I find that I have to do very little post processing with my D200 except move Levels in CS2 a little.

Hedley

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007Tue 19-Sep-06 06:52 PM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks for the post Duane, and Fee for letting him use the D80! I think it would be appreciated by alot of folks if we could see some of your sample pics?

----------------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words! I took a photograph and couldn't think of that many. I guess I'll keep trying!

Agentsmith Registered since 12th Sep 2006Tue 19-Sep-06 07:12 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks for the post Duane, and Fee for letting him use the D80! I think it would be appreciated by alot of folks if we could see some of your sample pics?>>>

I'm just a basic member here and anything I upload will be of questionable value due to file size, much like the shots popping up at DPreview. A fellow there is about to do a second set of tests in RAW with both cameras, which should be interesting.
I think we all need to see a few professional reviews as well and the comparisons to the D200 will surely be included. One reviewer already said it's 95% of a D200, but I think it's 100% of a D80, which is to say it's better in some respects to the D200, not so much in others. Image quality isn't worth a thing if you can't catch the image and the D200 feels twice as fast as the D80. That counts for LOT depending on how you shoot.
The fat lady hasn't sung. Let's wait for the general Nikon community to give their opinion. I do think that a lot of folks who were on the fence will be buying D80's and feeling like they saved 700 dollars and got better images in the process.

Duane & Fee from Ohio

mfprysl Registered since 09th Jan 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 08:54 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 6

Warszawa, PL

Note that D80 being targeted at "normal" customers rather then "experienced enthusiasts"/"prosumers" surely has a lot of PP applied in-camera and thus D200 pictures ought to look more "raw". I'd guess heavier unsharp mask, more contrast and more saturation.

Both cameras are great of course. Differences in picture quality are in the "placebo zone".

---
My Nikonians gallery

Agentsmith Registered since 12th Sep 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 10:28 AM
#9. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Note that D80 being targeted at "normal" customers rather then "experienced enthusiasts"/"prosumers" surely has a lot of PP applied in-camera and thus D200 pictures ought to look more "raw". I'd guess heavier unsharp mask, more contrast and more saturation.>>>

The problem is that my wifes D80 has something "missing" from my D200. I have been unable to get JPEG's from the D200 that match, and I'm pretty good with PP. I've played with the d200 settings endlessly and feel that it's a RAW only camera.
Someone elsewhere said that the stuff about D200 doing less processing is nonsense and little more than a guess. The D80 looks to do "better" processing. Many owners of the D200, MYSELF INCLUDED, are a bit threatened by what appears to me to be more refined in camera processing from the D80. Personally I don't think Nikon tweaked the D80 to be a more consumer type image. I think they simply tweaked it for better performance overall. I wish that my D200 popped out images as nice as the D80, plain and simple.
Confirming what I'm seeing, at least in part, is the latest full review from Cameralabs.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD80/
I don't agree with all of the review, but I certainly agree with the findings regarding noise.

This is a great group, BTW. Far less "noise" than DPreview, though they get a ton of traffic.

Duane & Fee in Ohio

Agentsmith Registered since 12th Sep 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 11:05 AM
#10. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Or to put it more succinctly, if the D200 had D80 type images from day one, we would have been raving about it all the more and the D80 would probably be even more refined. I think it's a bit of sour grapes for us D200 owners to backhand the D80 by saying it's processing is more geared to non-professionals. I'm a professional and I prefer the D80 for IQ, while still enjoying the D200 for it's FPS and handling.

Again, more reviews, both public and private will shed more light on this.

Duane & Fee in Ohio

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Wed 20-Sep-06 11:59 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 10

California, US

Duane, you may want to share your D200 settings, and see if others are using the same for jpegs. There are a couple of good set up guides on this site as well, that I used when I first purchased my D200. I don't own a D80 so I can't compare, but I have a few photos in my gallery, taken as jpegs with the D200. They compare as least as well with jpegs from my D70.

Agentsmith Registered since 12th Sep 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 12:56 PM
#13. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I don't own a D80 so I can't compare, but I have a few photos in my gallery, taken as jpegs with the D200. They compare as least as well with jpegs from my D70.>>>

I've gone through a lot of settings on the D200 for JPeg. I agree that they compare somewhat with my old D70's images, which I often used with a real-curve I downloaded. But the D80 is still better. I'm not disputing that the D200 can make good out-of-camera images, just that the D80 processing is closer to what I prefer...more sharpness, contrast and pop in colors. I have more work to do if I use the D200 in that capacity and noise is certainly worse.
In the end we're talking about pretty small differences overall, but that's part of what's discussed in these forums. This is a D80 forum, where we should be (hopefully) enthusiastic about the camera, even when compared to higher end models like a D200.
This weekend I'm supposed to shoot a small party (for a funeral!!!) and I'm going to make the D200 my backup to the D80. A few weeks from now I'm shooting a race and the D80 will be the backup.

Duane and Fee in Ohio

fir3bird Registered since 08th Jan 2005Wed 20-Sep-06 12:40 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'd love to see some comparison images. Preferable of a stationary subject with plenty of fine detail, colorful, and well lit. Cameras on a tripod, using the same lens, focused on the same spot, using the same manual settings.
You could start an account on flickr and use a link to point us to the images.
I suspect this is much like the D50 observations, and many people preferred to shoot the D50 because of the difference. I'm glad to hear this about the D80 and hope it's not just your wifes sample. At not quite half the price of a D200 this will be good news for many.

Walt
A Carolina Nikonian

Agentsmith Registered since 12th Sep 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 01:00 PM
#14. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Not sure if these forums allow this sort of link, but....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=20094760

Interesting.

Duane and Fee in Ohio

fir3bird Registered since 08th Jan 2005Wed 20-Sep-06 01:57 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 14

US

>Not sure if these forums allow this sort of link, but....
>
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=20094760
>
>
>Interesting.
>
>
>
>Duane and Fee in Ohio

Yup. D50 vs.D70 all over again. The way I shoot I'd never
see much difference. I haven't shot straight jpg since my
early D70 days. I think by using this strategy Nikon is better
serving both snapshot photographers and enthusiasts/pros.
With the added benefit to Nikon that a certain number of D70/D200
users will also buy a D50/D80 after seeing their roll-out and
the "better picture" reports. So it's no accident that the D70/D200
came out before the D50/D80! After finding out that the viewfinder
on the D80 is the same mag and coverage, I realized I could
have gotten by with it. But....... I mostly shoot macro and really
like the mirror lock-up feature of the D200.

Walt
A Carolina Nikonian

dwayner Registered since 15th Jan 2005Wed 20-Sep-06 02:03 PM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 14

Calgary, CA

I think most people would agree the D200 is geared more toward the pro side and lets the individual decide on the sharpening and saturation.

I have to admit I am getting older and losing interest in spending time post processing so the D80 would probably suit me better.

Though I love doing portraits where high sharpness and saturation is not usually flatering. Just as easy to custum image to cut down on this on the D80.

Agentsmith Registered since 12th Sep 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 03:00 PM
#19. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I think most people would agree the D200 is geared more toward the pro side and lets the individual decide on the sharpening and saturation.>>>

This is the same thing I hear again and again. My opninion (and that's all it is) is that Nikon didn't do a great job with the D200's in camera processing and the D80 is a step forward. Meanwhile, the RAW images of the D80 are no less customizable than the D200's.
I expect the low end replacement for the D50 to surpass the D200 and D80 in image quality. Nikon is a truly superior company because each generation of DSLR moves ahead in image quality regardless of price point. "Pro" features and handling are typically found in the more pricey bodies. My D50 replaced a D70 as a backup. My D50 images, along with about a zillion samples tend to look somewhat better than the D70 images, yet I read many times that the D70 and D70s was the more professional unit because it's default settings were more conservative. I felt those settings were simply better in the D50 and a lot of people made the whole "conservative settings" thing up. Did Nikon every say such a thing? If not then I don't believe it for a second. I only wish my wife's D80 had 5 FPS and I'd trade in my D200 for a 2nd D80. Ah well.

Duane and Fee in Ohio

gettingbetter Registered since 17th Jul 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 02:50 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#17. "D80 vs D200 handling with 18-200mm"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Duane and Fee

I got my D80 a couple of weeks ago and I'm using it with my 18-200mm. I am a bit disappointed with the way the combination handles. Have you found that the lens is easier to use on the D200 as I am seriously thinking of switching. And would the battery grip actually make much difference? Isn't the grip actually the same grip as without the battery grip, unless you use it vertically. I would be really interested in your observations about using both cameras with this lens.

Of course now I have to factor in the fact that you think it takes better images if you don't want to post-process! Decisions, Decisons....

Thanks

Mike

Mike, London UK

jeffmeyers Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 25th Aug 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 02:54 PM
#18. "RE: D80 vs D200 handling with 18-200mm"
In response to Reply # 17

Crestwood, US

Mike,

When you say you are disappointed with the way the combo "handles" do you mean that literally - weight, balance, etc? Or are you talking about the images produced? I think it's the former, but I just want to be sure. My 18-200 is on the way.

Jeff

Jeff Meyers
Lumos Galleries

gettingbetter Registered since 17th Jul 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 03:15 PM
#20. "RE: D80 vs D200 handling with 18-200mm"
In response to Reply # 18

GB

Jeff

It's all about weight and balance for me. The lens is so off to the left (more so than on my D70, even though the 18-200 is still a brute on a D70) and the grip just doesn't quite feel big enough for the camera/lens combo. It feels the way that big sports lenses make bodies look, like they are a passenger for the lens and not driving the thing.

Anybody else got any experience with comparative handling of bodies on the 18-200mm.

Mike, London UK

gettingbetter Registered since 17th Jul 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 03:17 PM
#21. "RE: D80 vs D200 handling with 18-200mm"
In response to Reply # 20

GB

Or can anybody tell me if the battery grip really would make a difference. Is the only benefit in the added weight, therefore giving a better balance between the body and lens? I can't see how the grip actually becomes any bigger. Am I missing something?

Mike, London UK

Agentsmith Registered since 12th Sep 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 03:21 PM
#22. "RE: D80 vs D200 handling with 18-200mm"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Have you found that the lens is easier to use on the D200 as I am seriously thinking of switching. >>>

There is NO DOUBT at all that the D200 is a better handling camera, especially with larger lenses. I have no issue with the 18-200 on the D80 though. However, my 70-200VR feels HUGE on the D80. Adding the battery grip helped for both cameras, but you can't beat the feel and heft of the D200.
Everyone's hands are different, so this will be an issue for some, but not all.

Duane and Fee in Ohio

lairdoflumreekie Registered since 31st Aug 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 03:33 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: D80 vs D200 handling with 18-200mm"
In response to Reply # 17

GB

Having handled a D80 today with an 18-70mm lens attached, I would say that using the lenses on a D80 are going to feel front heavy; both the D70s and D200 are bigger and heavier cameras which counter balance the weight of the lens.

Oh, when I got home what did I do? Buy a D80 online, now I’ll have to go and track down a battery gri

Brian

Lang may your lum reek

My Nikonians Gallery

lifanus Registered since 22nd Aug 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 10:29 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#24. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 0

denton, US

From the review the D200 from dpreview.com, d200 does have a little higher noise problems when iso settings are high. But keep in mind that D200's defult sharpness setting produce soft images. If you are shooting raw on both D80 and D200, you can do a sharpness comparesion then directly in raw.

With same CCD and better matrix metering on D200, I would assure that D200 would out perform in tricky or under critical situations better than D80.

I have a D70 as a backup and a D200, funny thing is that my D70 died 2 days before a wedding shoot because of BGLOD and I went with only a D200. The build quality of D200 gives me confident in a critical situation much more than a D70/D80 or D50.

Mr. Li Fan - Student Photographer
www.liography.com

Mr. Li Fan - Student Photographer
www.liography.com

Agentsmith Registered since 12th Sep 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 10:53 PM
#25. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 24

US

I have a D70 as a backup and a D200, funny thing is that my D70 died 2 days before a wedding shoot because of BGLOD and I went with only a D200. The build quality of D200 gives me confident in a critical situation much more than a D70/D80 or D50.>>>

Today I ordered my second D80 from Ritz and a battery grip from B&H, to replace my D50. My D70 still works like a champ and the BGLOD issue had nothing to due with build quality. It was a defect, which could occur on any camera body line, including the D200. BTW, my D200 has already been in for repair for banding and a focus issue with a 35-70mm 2.8. My D50 died without warning and it's far too early to know if the D80 will be reliable.
I'm slowly coming to prefer the D80 over my D200 overall. Shot at a park late in the day and got really smooth high ISO images that the D200 and D70 couldn't pull off with a lot more effort.

Duane and Fee in Ohio

Necaris Registered since 26th Jul 2006Thu 21-Sep-06 03:37 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 25

Freienstein, CH

Is the anti aliasing/pre filter or however it is called, the same in the D80 and D200?
I thought thats the reason why the D200 produces softer images. If thats the case its actually a plus for the D200 because it reduces artefacts and other problems in trade for a little sharpness who can be added in post processing.
I am realy happy with my D200 and i could never buy a D80 or lower camera just alone for the feeling. Sure there ar other reasons like the speed and better handling.
Anyway, i agree the D200 could need 2 more sharpness options in case one needs to print straight from camera. In every other case its better to add the sharpness at the end of post processing so its no big deal because i belive you will work on your best pictures anyway

PS: Dont get me wrong i am not bashing on the D80. Its a very nice camera and i have no problems to belive that the D80 handles noise or other things a bit better since its the new cam. Its nice to have a choice between 2 very good cameras for diffrent users.

--------------------------
Nec
D200
AF-S DX 18-200mmVR
SB-800
MB-200

Agentsmith Registered since 12th Sep 2006Thu 21-Sep-06 03:50 PM
#27. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 26

US

Is the anti aliasing/pre filter or however it is called, the same in the D80 and D200?
I thought thats the reason why the D200 produces softer images. If thats the case its actually a plus for the D200 because it reduces artefacts and other problems in trade for a little sharpness who can be added in post processing.>>>

The problem is that my D80 images look more naturally sharp than the D200 when all is said and done. The idea that the D200 image is less processed is made up. And noise is seriously superior on the D80. Side by side I'm convinced that Nikon has tweaked the sensor, not for "consumers" but for straight out superior performance. There were a lot of complaints about sharpness for the D200 and flat images. It stands to reason that Nikon listened to some degree when working on the D80 processing. As I said earlier, if the D200 made D80 type pics people would have been standing on their heads with joy. The D200 is a great camera that needs some PP for best results. The D80 is the same, PLUS it adds better out-of-camera results and noise handling.
I have both cameras...but I wish it was all rolled into one. I can "side" with either camera, but it's clear that the D80 is going to "threaten" some D200 owners when they see what it can do. That's technology. The low end D60 will probably beat the D80 and D200 for IQ and why should this surprise us?
Owning both is the way to go...and why not sell the kids and buy a D2X as well!

Duane & Fee in Ohio

Necaris Registered since 26th Jul 2006Thu 21-Sep-06 04:08 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 27

Freienstein, CH

>Is the anti aliasing/pre filter or however it is called, the
>same in the D80 and D200?
>I thought thats the reason why the D200 produces softer
>images. If thats the case its actually a plus for the D200
>because it reduces artefacts and other problems in trade for
>a little sharpness who can be added in post processing.>>>
>
>
>The problem is that my D80 images look more naturally sharp
>than the D200 when all is said and done. The idea that the
>D200 image is less processed is made up. And noise is
>seriously superior on the D80. Side by side I'm convinced
>that Nikon has tweaked the sensor, not for "consumers" but
>for straight out superior performance. There were a lot of
>complaints about sharpness for the D200 and flat images. It
>stands to reason that Nikon listened to some degree when
>working on the D80 processing. As I said earlier, if the
>D200 made D80 type pics people would have been standing on
>their heads with joy. The D200 is a great camera that needs
>some PP for best results. The D80 is the same, PLUS it adds
>better out-of-camera results and noise handling.
>I have both cameras...but I wish it was all rolled into one.
>I can "side" with either camera, but it's clear that the D80
>is going to "threaten" some D200 owners when they see what
>it can do. That's technology. The low end D60 will probably
>beat the D80 and D200 for IQ and why should this surprise
>us?
>Owning both is the way to go...and why not sell the kids and
>buy a D2X as well!
>
>
>Duane & Fee in Ohio

Omg! Dont talk about the D2Xs! That thing is in my dreams since some days and i cant get it out.

And yes the same thing will happen with the D200s and the D80s or D300 and so on. The difrence is not like night and day. Its nice you ar happy with your new D80 but so am i with the D200 since i love every button and specialy how they ar placed.

The only real winner in this D80 vs D200 war is Nikon because all buy both since we have NAS

Add: Btw I only need about 1 min for every shot to adjust shadows/highlights and shapening to every picture except for the pear shots i get once every 100 klicks. So its no big deal because i would adjust shadows/highlights anyway with or without sharpening.
Again, dont get me wrong i already sayd i would welcome a optional sharpening in camera option for the D200 in case needed.
I am happy for nikon they could once again make a very nice cam.
Always makes me think that i did the right move to buy Nikon instead of C****

--------------------------
Nec
D200
AF-S DX 18-200mmVR
SB-800
MB-200

rkwoo Registered since 21st Sep 2006Thu 21-Sep-06 04:14 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 27

HK

Had a look at the resolution chart on this site (http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD80/page4b.shtml), and the D80 looks clean with no moire. The performance looks very similar to the D200 test on the same site. My guess is a similar antialias filter is being used in both cameras (will have to wait till more tests come out before this can be further confirmed).

Regards,
Roy

Agentsmith Registered since 12th Sep 2006Thu 21-Sep-06 04:27 PM
#30. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 29

US

The only real winner in this D80 vs D200 war is Nikon because all buy both since we have NAS>>>

You have that right! I ordered a second D80 from Ritz (Grip was in stock at B&H yesterday) to replace my D50. I love the D200 and I still own a D70. Nikon should buy me a donut!

Duane & Fee in Ohio

danai Registered since 09th Oct 2004Sat 23-Sep-06 03:30 PM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 30

Bangkok, TH

I'd love to be able to compare RAW images from both the D80 and D200 at ISO800, 1600, and 3200 since I shoot RAW exclusively. Any chance someone who has both cameras could post these images?

Danai

Image Gallery: www.danai-c.com | www.bluepano.com

Dacoz Registered since 28th Nov 2004Sat 23-Sep-06 04:36 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Wife's D80 vs. My D200....hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 31

>I'd love to be able to compare RAW images from both the D80
>and D200 at ISO800, 1600, and 3200 since I shoot RAW
>exclusively. Any chance someone who has both cameras could
>post these images?
>
>Danai

I second that request. Thanks a lot for posting your impressions, Duane and Fee. I have a D70 and am thinking about upgrading to the D80 or 200. The D200 has a few advantages which I'm willing to spend the extra hard-earned cash for, but not if the pictures are better comming out of the D80. Would you be able to post some comparisons here or at another site? That would be a huge help.

Cheers,

Kev

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #2984 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.