Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #2917
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80 vs D50" Previous topic | Next topic
d50russ Registered since 16th Sep 2006Mon 18-Sep-06 07:20 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 vs D50"

I've been comparing my D50 to my D80 today with interesting results.

The D50 holds up very well against it. In the shade shooting flowers the D80 had more fine detail but the D50 shots just "looked" better.

Indoors with flash the D80 was a clear winner with better color and detail.

Outdoors in overcast the pics were so close that it took real hard looking to tell them apart.

The D80 does great with high ISO, every bit as good as the D50 plus it goes to ISO 3200 which is usable.

If I had to go take good pics right now, I would grab the D50 because Iknow it so well. I think the D80 will be just fine, but I'm going to have to learn its personality.

With the D50 I used to shoot in RAW and then learned how to make camera adjustments to make jpegs be as good. I think I'lll need to shoot RAW with the D80 for a while and figure it out.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D80 vs D50
Almark
19th Sep 2006
chromeo2
19th Sep 2006
d50russ
19th Sep 2006
Bunodosoma
20th Sep 2006
pizzajoe62
20th Sep 2006
bobbyl76
22nd Sep 2006
Ilovemynikon
22nd Sep 2006
rkwoo
22nd Sep 2006

Almark Registered since 17th Sep 2006Tue 19-Sep-06 04:47 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

The D50 must be the bargain of the year at the moment. In the UK you can get them new (body only) for £325.00 !!!

All the best
Mark
Almark Web Design | Photo Galleries | Sjogrens Syndrome Resource Site

All the best
Mark
My Flickr Site

chromeo2 Registered since 26th Jul 2006Tue 19-Sep-06 06:35 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Were you shooting in auto, or did you try using different settings indoors, outdoors etc.

Each camera will have a series of settings that will make it look "good" in differnt situations. The appearance of an image also can be very subjective. Each person has their own preferences as to color saturation, contrast, yada yada.

Later,
James

d50russ Registered since 16th Sep 2006Tue 19-Sep-06 08:30 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D80 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 2

I've done more testing. I'm getting the hang of the D80. I'm loving it!

Bunodosoma Registered since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 12:30 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D80 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I take it a name change is in order - d80russ?

pizzajoe62 Registered since 20th May 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 06:47 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D80 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 4

PH

how does the mirror(shutter) slap compare?
which has the more dampened action?
i still believe the F80 has the least vibration & smoothest of them all.
thanks.

joe

bobbyl76 Registered since 28th Jun 2006Fri 22-Sep-06 12:50 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D80 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I've been doing a couple of tests between my D50 and D80 and have come to some pretty interesting and startling conclusions. Look at the sample below before reading further to see of you notice what I do. I've noticed these same things in other locations not just my lil makeshift studio.

D50 on the left and D80 on the right.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/bobbyl76/d50vD80-3.jpg

If you saw what I did you noticed that the D50 is better noise wise and shows a bit more detail than the D80. All settings were identical. Custom optimized settings in the camera setup are identical. Shutter was set at 1/125, aperture was at F16 & ISO was at 400. Camera's were set on the same tripod and triggered with the same IR remote. Same lens was used on both bodies as well...my 18-200vr. The same flash was used at roughly the same position...my Vivitar 285HV at 1/4 power with a lumiquest softbox attached connected to the hotshoe via a coiled sync chord.

Doing casual street shots I've noticed that the D80 also tends to over do it in the shadows giving them an "inky" feeling...a problem I never had with my D50. The D80 seems to have the subtle noise/grain look on the street as well...even at ISO 100. I looked at other peoples' test shots on the D80 and have noticed the same noise/grain look. While the D50 looks like butter at 200 all the way to 800.

I'm not sure why Nikon didn't just use a higher resolution version of the same sensor used for the D50 in the D80 and give all the enhanched usability features that the D80 brought.

I find myself torn now between the D80 I just purchased and the D50 that I've agreed to sell to a buddy of mine to offset the cost of the D80. The D50 is just so good that it crossed my mind to ebay out the new D80 and stick with my lil buddy D50. The only thing that keeps me thinking twice is the enormous (compared to the D50) viewfinder view, the huge 2.5 inch screen, more hardware controls and commander mode. If I could somehow get those features into my D50 I would be happy...6mp is way more than enough for 4x6 prints...heck I even got nice 20x30 inch enlargements on our large format HP at work from 6mp....10.2mp is a bit overkill for anything but posters & heavy cropping.

I've tried tweeking the settings to get closer to what I got used to seeing with my D50 but still haven't hit on the mark. I'll keep doing my tests to see if I'll be keeping my D50 and selling off the D80. I might have to welch out on my buddy with my D50.

Ilovemynikon Registered since 14th May 2006Fri 22-Sep-06 02:10 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D80 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 6

US

so keep the D50 and sell the D80... no sense in keeping what u dont like... and get a nice new lens for the D50.

"It takes alot of imagination to be a good photographer.... it takes alot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary." - David Bailey

rkwoo Registered since 21st Sep 2006Fri 22-Sep-06 12:49 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D80 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 7

HK

Just a thought, if you think the D80 over-processes the image, and you are using iso400 or above, then perhaps adjusting the high ISO nr would help.

I took a look at your test images, and I think the differences are minute (I don't think they will show up on print). If D80 is good enough for you image quality-wise, and it handles better (viewfinder, lcd, front dial...etc.), then why not keep it.

Regards,
Roy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #2917 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.