Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #253023
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D80" Previous topic | Next topic
dtjones23 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2013Mon 30-Sep-13 02:38 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D80"

Abingdon, US

I have an error message that is explained as "general". I have removed/changed the battery and memory card without results. I tried to restore to the factory default but it didn't work. The shutter will work but with no results. Ideas?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jcsocalphoto Registered since 19th Apr 2013Mon 30-Sep-13 05:25 PM
997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D80"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

How many Shutter Actuations do you have on the camera? Maybe it's time to have the shutter looked at by your local Nikon Authorized Repair facility? My friend's D50 did the same thing - so he got a D90, but still has the 50 intending to have it fixed some day (I told him to do it fast or the shutter repair is going to cost more than the camera is worth).

I'd take it in and have them take a look at it. The D80 is a nice camera and may be worth your having it fixed (I had a D2X way back when that was getting up there on shutter clicks - it had 154K when I remember checking last and is rated at 150K... it kept going to over 200K at last heard... but back on subject, I asked my local repair shop what it would cost to have the shutter replaced when it did fail and they told me about $350 or so for parts and labor, plus anything else they may find once they get into it). It may not be the shutter though, maybe a sensor, or... I think it would be worth them looking at it (my shop looks at them for free to give an estimate, and then there is no charge if they can't make a repair as they estimated).

Good luck and it may be somehting simple...

Jack
D700/D2X/F100

dtjones23 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2013Mon 30-Sep-13 09:26 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D80"
In response to Reply # 1

Abingdon, US

Thanks, no shops close so will probably send to Nikon or authorized repair shop.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

davidhilos Registered since 02nd Oct 2013Thu 03-Oct-13 09:08 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D80"
In response to Reply # 2

SG

The problem is usually caused by as faulty plastic "rivet" that holds a metal contact switch.
In this picture, the one on the left is a good part. The one on the right is the defective part.
I remember I posted some photos of the repair procedure here before but I'm not so sure if it's still there.

I can post it again if someone wants it

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #253023 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.