Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #253000
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help with old D90" Previous topic | Next topic
kjkircher Registered since 18th Sep 2013Wed 18-Sep-13 04:24 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help with old D90"

US

I recently purchased a used D90. It needs some small screws replaced which have been gouged/rusted, as well as a good professional cleaning.

Could a fellow member respond with 1. What you think a thorough cleaning should cost and 2. where I might find an affordable selection of exterior type screws, as pictured in the link below, for replacement.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41610922@N04/9802846895/

Also, The camera came with a Sigma 70-300mmD 4-5.6DG. This lens is really performing well. It appears to be an early version and I cannot find an earlier users manual on this lens which will tell me what the little switch (pictured below) is. It has two positions, one reveals the red dot. Any info is appreciated.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41610922@N04/9802850675/

Regards

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Penobdon Silver Member Charter MemberWed 18-Sep-13 11:08 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help with old D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Carmel, US

The switch looks to be the one you would use to lock the aperture ring.

As for the screws, maybe you could check with a watch repair shop.

You may be able to land the replacement screws you need.

Did the previous owner mention having the camera repaired? The damaged screws suggest some unqualified or ill equipped person attempted to remove them.

Don

Don Darling, Jr

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 19-Sep-13 01:07 AM
26416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help with old D90"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Karl,

Welcome to Nikonians!

I don't know of a source for the screws.

The switch in the image is the Aperture Ring Lock switch.
Set the Aperture to the minimum opening (largest f/#) then lock the aperture ring. On Nikon DSLR's the aperture is changed by rotating the sub-command dial (finger wheel) or command dial (thumb wheel) which makes the aperture ring redundant.

Best Regards,
Marty

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Mon 23-Sep-13 06:28 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help with old D90"
In response to Reply # 2

jacksonville, US

as others said it's the ring lock. if you don't lock it, you might inadvertantly move the ring to a smaller aperature, adn the camera will display FEE on the top lcd. just rotete it back and it will correct itself

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Wed 25-Sep-13 10:16 PM
832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help with old D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake NJ, & Jacksonvi, US

The others have mentioned the aperture but I have to say I would be very concerned about a camera where the screws looked like that - clearly someone who did not know what they were doing was working on it. I would send it in for a thorough inspection and cleaning and ask to have all the screws replaced.

Richard

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #253000 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.