Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252993
View in linear mode

Subject: "Converting Nikon D80 and up into B/W" Previous topic | Next topic
Iyudovich Registered since 03rd Sep 2013Sun 15-Sep-13 10:17 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Converting Nikon D80 and up into B/W"

US

Does any one has an exprience in converting this body into B/W only ? Are you happy with the results ?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Converting Nikon D80 and up into B/W
MEMcD Moderator
15th Sep 2013
astrocbt Silver Member
15th Sep 2013
Iyudovich
15th Sep 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
16th Sep 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
23rd Sep 2013
mkbee1
11th Nov 2013
Drbee Silver Member
11th Nov 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 15-Sep-13 11:25 PM
25008 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Converting Nikon D80 and up into B/W"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Igor,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As far as I know there is no way to convert your D80 to B&W only.
Life Pixel will convert camera bodies for IR Photography: www.lifepixel.com if that is what you have in mind.

Best Regards,
Marty

astrocbt Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2008Sun 15-Sep-13 11:41 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Converting Nikon D80 and up into B/W"
In response to Reply # 0

Victoria, CA

I had my D80 converted to B&W by Lifepixel earlier this year. They replace the filter in front of the sensor. I had them tune the focus for my 18-200 and I just leave that on the camera. I am very happy with the results.

Dennis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Iyudovich Registered since 03rd Sep 2013Sun 15-Sep-13 11:48 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Converting Nikon D80 and up into B/W"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Dennis, does it mean that you have to tune up focus to specific lens or focus tune up will work for every lens to follow ?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 16-Sep-13 05:20 PM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Converting Nikon D80 and up into B/W"
In response to Reply # 3

US

When Lifepixel tunes the auto focus they are tuning it to be optimized for infra red which is different than visible light. My D1X IR has had the AF fine tuned and I find it is right on with all the AF lenses I've tried.

Len

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Mon 23-Sep-13 05:30 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Converting Nikon D80 and up into B/W"
In response to Reply # 4

jacksonville, US

Are you converting to IR/UV? if all you want is black and white, you just do that in post processing

mkbee1 Registered since 26th Nov 2012Mon 11-Nov-13 02:14 AM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Converting Nikon D80 and up into B/W"
In response to Reply # 5

US

The D 90 will do B&W,(with filter effects thrown in) all by its lonesome. You can do all en camera!

Go to "Set PICTURE CONTROL" (camera icon) on the SHOOTING MENU, scroll down to MC (MONOCHROME), then scroll down to the filter effects you wish to use, if any. RED, Yellow, Orange, Green etc, then the type of print you want...Straight B&W, Sepia(brown tone), or Cyanotype(blue and white). I remember countless hours, agitating prints in Sepia toner, trying to get what the Sarge said was the "right" tone!

This is MUCH better! O my, yes!

It might even save you the $$ of the conversion. Then, buy a new lens

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Mon 11-Nov-13 02:00 PM
5657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Converting Nikon D80 and up into B/W"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Given the Leica Monochrom experience, there is benefit to having an only B&W camera. Given the buzz elsewhere (and I may have missed it on Nikonians), there does seem to be some interest in a commercial conversion of existing traditional "color" DSLRs to B&W. It entails at least in removing the Bayer filter but I'm not sure about the rest. I've inquired, but don't have an answer yet. By removing the Bayer filter you increase the resolution possibilities of the sensor. You also eliminate any RGB histogram balancing due to the imperfect response of the various Bayer elements. However, without knowing more, I think the latter would be part of the in-camera processing. So I could speculate to no real benefit, but I'm researching this as I have a body that I might consider doing this with.

When I look at the Leica Monochrom files, there are distinct tonal advantages of having a native B&W sensor in the camera over having to do the conversion in post. I have my own methods for post to B&W and I've experimented quite a bit with Silver Efx Pro, enough to know that I will be adding that software as soon as I'm done migrating computers and my Lightroom libraries.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252993 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.