Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252981
View in linear mode

Subject: "Black and White photos, I have a question." Previous topic | Next topic
cnl390 Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2007Thu 12-Sep-13 01:30 AM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Black and White photos, I have a question."

San Antonio, US

What is the best method for making B&W images?
Should I use my D90 in B&W mode, or shoot RAW and then use PS Element
11 to process B&W?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Black and White photos, I have a question.
JosephK Silver Member
12th Sep 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
12th Sep 2013
John54
24th Jan 2014
mkbee1 Silver Member
27th Jan 2014
sl01
09th Apr 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 12-Sep-13 01:39 AM
4176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Black and White photos, I have a question."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

There are multiple ways to convert a color image to b&w. The algorithm used in most cameras is probably the easiest one to program and normally not considered "the best". Using post-processing software normally gives you more options on the conversion.

Since the b&w setting is just a flag in the raw file (the color is always captured), shooting raw files with the b&w flag turned on will show you the camera's b&w version on the LCD, which can sometimes give you needed feedback about any possible exposure problems later conversions may find.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Thu 12-Sep-13 10:47 AM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Black and White photos, I have a question."
In response to Reply # 1

Oeiras, PT

Hi,

I also have a D90.
AS Joseph said, i think the best way is to shoot in RAW and select the monochrome mode, so you can see the desired effect on the back LCD.
Then, when uploading the photos to PS or LR you'll have all the color information to work with.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

John54 Registered since 18th Jan 2014Fri 24-Jan-14 12:33 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Black and White photos, I have a question."
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I shoot in RAW, in colour, and using Neutral mode. I then do the conversion in post processing, usually in Adobe Camera Raw.

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Mon 27-Jan-14 06:56 PM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Black and White photos, I have a question."
In response to Reply # 3

West Valley, US

Definitely not an expert at this, but with my D 90, I shoot in color, then convert to B&W in post processing. It seems easier, and a photo instructor I had suggested that is a good way to do it. "BEST?" Probably not, but I am a dinosaur, and haven't found a better way. I am not one who likes to play with the images much in P/P. En Camera is my favorite mode.

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Wed 09-Apr-14 09:56 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Black and White photos, I have a question."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 09-Apr-14 10:00 AM by sl01

PL

During postprocessing you can get many, extemely various B&W results from one full color photo.
To experience this in easy way, try this little, very simple free tool:
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/bworks.htm

Shooting with B&W set in camera gives you only one B&W result at one shot.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252981 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.