nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Manually focusing to infinity

jbl_inAZ

Elfrida, US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jbl_inAZ Registered since 18th Aug 2013
Mon 02-Sep-13 11:27 PM

I love taking night shots on my D70, as well as astronomical (though naked eye) subjects. With the remote shutter release and a decently steady tripod I have solved all the major problems but one: I can't properly focus the camera. I'm currently using a kit standard zoom (from a D80 kit, for irrelevant reasons).

I can't use autofocus on a distant horizon or the moon (for instance); and unlike the old large zoom lenses I used to use with my old film Nikon and Nikkormat, I can't zoom in, focus, and zoom back. I must focus at the focal length at which I intend to take the picture, and with the manual focus and the viewfinder this is almost impossible, even if I choose something really bright to focus on. What I wish my camera had is a button or mode (part of the autofocus mechanism, probably) that automatically focuses the lens at infinity at the currently set focal length. Does anyone know of some trick that accomplishes the equivalent on my camera?

(I also have access to a D3000 and a telephoto zoom from the same family of lenses as its kit lens; I haven't tried this yet, but my experience in playing with that camera does not make me feel that I am likely to fare any better.)

The advantage over film of being able to experiment with exposure interval and ISO setting and see the best result immediately is tremendous. I just wish I could make the pictures less fuzzy.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Manually focusing to infinity

G