Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252923
View in linear mode

Subject: "AF Does Not Work" Previous topic | Next topic
Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 10-Aug-13 07:40 PM
295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AF Does Not Work"
Sat 10-Aug-13 07:43 PM by Bela614

Bellingham, US

Hello,
The Auto Focus does not work on my D70. I put the kit lens from my D70 on my d7100 and it works fine but not on the D70. I have the switch on the lens set to M/A and the switch on the camera set to AF. I have tried the two button reset and fresh batteries. Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Sat 10-Aug-13 07:59 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AF Does Not Work"
In response to Reply # 0

Menifee, US

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Have you tried other lenses on your D70?

Have you cleaned the contacts on your D70?

I would try that first.

You should also check and clean the lens contacts.

Good luck.

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 10-Aug-13 08:13 PM
295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: AF Does Not Work"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 11-Aug-13 03:48 PM by Bela614

Bellingham, US

Hello Golfercat,
I have cleaned the contacts on the camera and lens with an alcohol swab. I have also tried putting a different lens on the camera but it does not work as well. All lenses will work with the D7100.

Also: When I press the AE-L, AF-L the lens will cycle between infinity and .38, but will not focus.

Edit: I did the following and now the Auto Focus works:
1. Go into the camera menu and verify that the servo mode is on AF-S (Custom Setting 2).

2. Also in the menu, verify AF-Area Mode is set to Single Area (Custom Setting 3).

3. Also in the menu, verify that AE-L/AF-L button is set to AE/AF-Lock (Custom Setting 15).

4. Check the top LCD and make sure you're in Single Frame - an S with a box around it.

5. Set Shooting Mode to Program.

6. Select and lock the center sensor using the rear control pad. Pick a high-contrast target, overlay the center sensor on it and see if you can activate auto-focus using the half-press.
Solution provided by Covey22. Thanks

I just had to do a little search. Thank you for your time anyways.

Thanks,
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 11-Aug-13 04:58 PM
24996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AF Does Not Work"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear your D70 is working.
Thanks for the follow up.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252923 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.