Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252913
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best fix for lose rubber facing on D90?" Previous topic | Next topic
jimray Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2009Mon 05-Aug-13 08:25 PM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best fix for lose rubber facing on D90?"

Springfield, US

The rubber facing on the back right side of my D90 has come lose and it would seem all I need to do is get some glue and stick it back on. But, there are three screws under that facing as well as the memory card lamp, so I assume "super glue" is not the right choice. Does it matter what type of glue I use?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Mon 05-Aug-13 10:11 PM
461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best fix for lose rubber facing on D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

Oeiras, PT

Hi James,

What a coincidence!!!

I just sent to NIKON today my D90 for CLA (after 3 years and 20K clicks) and to replace the right hand side rubber as well. They told me that the rubber is better to be replaced than glued.

Hope to get it back in a couple of weeks, as we don't have Nikon here in Portugal everything goes to Spain.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

audiophileman2002 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2013Mon 05-Aug-13 10:57 PM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best fix for lose rubber facing on D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

Clarksville, US

HI James,

The rubber part is cheap and costs only a few bucks ~ $6. The shipping & handling costs more at $11. You may want to order other parts at the same time like the rubber rings for the lenses zoom & focus which also expand in time.
The problem with the old part is it may have stretched a little bit & may not seat properly anymore.

Rod

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 06-Aug-13 06:43 AM
3356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best fix for lose rubber facing on D90?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The original pad is held on my double sided adhesive tape that gets gummy from skin chemistry for some people. If the rubber is not swollen, which it often does for the same reason, you can clean off the sticky residue of the tape and just apply more of the tape. It is a very thin tape so is not what is usually thought of at the hardware store to be double sided tape which is 10 times thicker.
I found some at a large sewing and fabric store. But chances are high that the rubber has oxidized, possibly turned white and swollen so it does not fit the recessed area where it was installed.
You could carefully trim it, which I did but at 50,000 frames I had a chance to get the original pad new so replaced the one I had trimmed 6 months before. The trimmed original would have worked well for a long time if I did not find a new one.

The rubber zoom ring of my 70-200 is doing the same thing but that started at about the 120,000 frame count(it was mounted on the D90 most of the time but later a D7000 and now a D800)
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jimray Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2009Tue 06-Aug-13 01:48 PM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best fix for lose rubber facing on D90?"
In response to Reply # 3

Springfield, US

Thanks Jose, Rod and Stan. I think I'll try Stan's suggestion and look for some thin double sided tape. The pad may need to be trimmed slightly, but otherwise it seems to be in good shape. Glad I asked and didn't just try to glue it. And, maybe that fix will last until the D400 is announced this fall....

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252913 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.