Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252909
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 and Auto Nikkor lens" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynDodger Registered since 04th Aug 2013Sun 04-Aug-13 07:28 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 and Auto Nikkor lens"

US

New to the forum. Any help with using my Nikkor-S Auto 1:1.4 50mm lens (purchased 1964) with my D90? Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 04-Aug-13 10:29 PM
2889 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 and Auto Nikkor lens"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 04-Aug-13 10:36 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

The D90 requires a lens with an AI mount to prevent damaging the body. Nikon introduced the AI mount around 1978 so your 1964 lens will require machining the mount to the AI standard. The cost is about $35 plus shipping and is performed by a few shops on the internet.

One source I have used is john White. Check out his site here:

http://www.aiconversions.com/

After the lens is converted to the AI standard it will mount on the D90 but you won't be able to use the D90's metering. You will need to use an external light meter and use the lens in the manual mode. However the lens will still maintain it's auto stop down feature.

Len

edit: What can get damaged on the body is the little switch located just outside the chrome lens mount at about the 7:30 position looking at the front of the camera body.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 05-Aug-13 04:16 AM
25573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 and Auto Nikkor lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Joel,

Welcome to Nikonians!

Don't try mounting it on your D90 before you have it AI'd.

I would also recommend John White to convert your lens.
He does excellent work.

Best Regards,
Marty

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Mon 05-Aug-13 12:07 PM
533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 and Auto Nikkor lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

Another vote for John White. He AI'd just this lens for me. Works fine.

Best,

Hendrik

JBD90 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011Thu 15-Aug-13 03:27 PM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 and Auto Nikkor lens"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 15-Aug-13 03:43 PM by JBD90

US

Just a note, you can use an external light meter but I just use the Histogram. It is easy to adjust from a "off the top of your head guesstimate". Sunny 16 works if you are familiar with it as a starting point. Since you Shot "old School" your feel for initial exposure will be quite close I am sure. You can "dial In" your exposure easily referring to the Histogram. Also the D90 focus led works as well. Not having a Fresnel or split image screen it is an excellent confirmation of your focus with Ai lens. Good luck. JB

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252909 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.