Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252900
View in linear mode

Subject: "10,000 exposures on my D90" Previous topic | Next topic
Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Wed 31-Jul-13 07:56 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"10,000 exposures on my D90"

Albuquerque, US

Does Nikon have an expected life, in terms of shutter release, for the D90?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90
Covey22 Moderator
31st Jul 2013
drakonian Silver Member
18th Jul 2014
gpoole Platinum Member
31st Jul 2013
blw Moderator
31st Jul 2013
Andy47
31st Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
01st Aug 2013
km6xz Moderator
06th Aug 2013
Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member
05th Sep 2013
John54
06th Feb 2014
msullivan09 Silver Member
25th Jun 2014
n6jah Silver Member
30th Jun 2014
MEMcD Moderator
30th Jun 2014
n6jah Silver Member
05th Jul 2014
MEMcD Moderator
10th Jul 2014
n6jah Silver Member
13th Jul 2014
memphishooter Silver Member
09th Jul 2014

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 31-Jul-13 08:38 PM
10578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 0

US

See this Technical Note. In automated testing, it'll supposedly last more than 100,000 cycles (clicks).

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

drakonian Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2013Fri 18-Jul-14 11:24 AM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 1

voorhees, US

.5 years and 57,000 actuations, still working good

Visit my website at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52333300@N05/

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Wed 31-Jul-13 08:41 PM
3639 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

From the product brochure:

"Proven endurance: Resilient shutter units
Reliability is not a luxury —
it's a necessity. That's why
Nikon subjected numerous
D90 shutter mechanisms
to grueling 100,000-cycle
shutter-release tests with the
unit fully assembled in the
camera."

You have a long way to go.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 31-Jul-13 08:53 PM
26590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

In terms of expected life, 10k is just getting broken in! But do remember that shutter reliability is like life expectancy: the typical sample survives X long, but individuals may go much later than that - or much earlier.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Wed 31-Jul-13 10:21 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 3

Albuquerque, US

Thanks, guys. Even though it's an old model, I still like the D90. I own a D7100, which, while it has some very cool features the D90 lacks, is also bigger and heavier and a lot less stable on my lightweight Feisol tripod (with speedlight attached).

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 01-Aug-13 02:27 AM
25743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Andy,

The D90 is an excellent body that you just finished "Breaking-in".
It should continue to serve you well in the future.
I continue to use my D2X and D200 together and sometimes instead of my newer bodies and will continue to do so.

Best Regards,
Marty

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 06-Aug-13 06:28 AM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

I have reached the 100,000 frame count on mine. Well, my GF has been using it mostly in the last year. The only minor problem I have had is the rubber on the thumb grip area swelled up and got loose. I replaced it at about 50,000. Otherwise the camera and cheap 3rd party Zeikos grip have flawlessly survived harsh shooting conditions, and frequent abuse.
The D90 is still about the best combination of performance, reliability and ease of getting really good images as I have seen. My tripod works great with the D90 but is unusable on the D800 so I know what you mean about the stability of the lighter body with lower resolution.
Some of my favorite prints came from that camera. For a casual shooter or beginner I still recommend it over the D7000.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Thu 05-Sep-13 04:28 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Portsmouth, US

This topic had me thinking, I have had my D90 for three years now, and absolutely love it. I never gave much thought to checking shutter count, so I just did, it has 3654 activations. Just a baby and not even broken in yet, lol... I do use my D7000 more so now, and checked that shutter count and it was 2241, another baby.

Bob

John54 Registered since 18th Jan 2014Thu 06-Feb-14 09:44 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I think that I read in Nikon's literature for the D90 that it is "tested to 100,000 activations". That's not the same as 100,000 guaranteed but would imply that 10,000 activations is nowhere near the end of the shutter's life.

msullivan09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2009Wed 25-Jun-14 04:59 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Does Nikon have an expected life, in terms of shutter
>release, for the D90?
This site has some statistics on shutter life that aren't comprehensive, but are indicative.

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

n6jah Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2002Mon 30-Jun-14 12:14 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Corona, US

I've had my D90 for a few years, and have just over 9,000 shutter actuations. I've heard that we can expect 100,000, plus or minus, and I'm pretty sure my D90 would be able to reach that milestone.

But, a couple years ago, the pop-up flash stopped working correctly. It pops up and it fires, but it doesn't expose correctly in TTL mode. It either overexposes, or underexposes. It does not work in commander mode. I mainly used the pop-up to control my SB600. It does work in manual mode.

When I use my SB600, it would work OK. But over the last couple of months, it has been exhibiting the same over/under exposures in TTL mode. I turn off and on both camera and flash, and re-seat the SB600 and it will usually start working again right away. Manual mode works fine.

I've done a complete camera reset to no avail.

Before the D90, I had a D70. At about 10,000 shots, it started acting up. It would hesitate while taking shots when the camera was physically warm... over 80f (29c). Fortunately, I bought an extended warranty (which I normally don't do) and had it fixed. They replaced the electronics.

I didn't think I'd need an extended warranty for the D90. Oh well.

Shutter actuation is only a part of the equation.

jim
.... . ... . . ... ... .... . .. ... .... .. ... .... .. .... ..

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 30-Jun-14 08:12 PM
25743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Jim,

Have you tried cleaning the electrical contacts on the hotshoe of the camera and the Speedlight foot using DeoxIT?

Best Regards,
Marty

n6jah Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2002Sat 05-Jul-14 12:45 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 11

Corona, US

Hi Marty,
Yes... I cleaned the contacts just in case that was the problem. It doesn't help. It doesn't happen all the time, maybe every 5th or 6th time lately.

jim
.... . ... . . ... ... .... . .. ... .... .. ... .... .. .... ..

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 10-Jul-14 01:41 AM
#14. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Hi Jim,

Intermittent problems are the most difficult to diagnose.

Best Regards,
Marty

n6jah Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2002Sun 13-Jul-14 07:54 PM
#15. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 14

Corona, US

Don't I know it! Ugh...
jim
.... . ... . . ... ... .... . .. ... .... .. ... .... .. ....

memphishooter Silver Member Charter MemberWed 09-Jul-14 02:53 PM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: 10,000 exposures on my D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

I have 2 D90's one with 10730, and one with 14309 clicks, and so far, so good!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252900 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.