Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252899
View in linear mode

Subject: "D70S problem" Previous topic | Next topic
w9sz Registered since 31st Jul 2013Wed 31-Jul-13 07:46 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D70S problem"

Urbana, US

I've had a D70S since 2006. It's been a great camera with no problems until recently.

About 3 weeks ago several of the functions stopped working and the ON/OFF switch seemed to stop working. At first I could not turn the camera off. I removed the battery and reinstalled it and then the camera would not initialize or turn on. I tried a fully charged battery with the same results. Typically, when installing a charged battery, the green light on the camera back would flash momentarily and the display window on the top right would display the number of shots left on the memory card. This time the green light did not flash and the screen remained blank.

The next day I tried two different freshly charged batteries, and after about a minute the display would show up but the green light did not flash. The correct number of exposures left on the CF card were displayed. The camera seemed to work normally otherwise. After a few days, everything seemed to return to normal including the green light flashing when a charged battery was inserted.

After several weeks of appearing to work normally, it's having the same problems again. Yesterday after trying two different fully charged batteries, the LCD display would appear again after the camera sat for about 5 minutes. However, it did not display the correct number of exposures left on the CF card this time. Also, it will display a number of exposures left on a card when the card has been removed (should show an -E-). The card appears to be functioning normally when inserted into a card reader on my computer.

Has anyone seen this type of problem before?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D70S problem
MEMcD Moderator
01st Aug 2013
w9sz
14th Aug 2013
avm247 Moderator
14th Aug 2013
w9sz
14th Aug 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
14th Aug 2013
w9sz
15th Aug 2013
domer2760 Silver Member
15th Aug 2013
w9sz
15th Aug 2013
HenkB Silver Member
15th Aug 2013
avm247 Moderator
15th Aug 2013
DaddySS Gold Member
15th Aug 2013
teavenson Gold Member
05th Oct 2013
tamphlett
10th Oct 2013
w9sz
10th Oct 2013
w9sz
10th Oct 2013
HenkB Silver Member
10th Oct 2013
w9sz
10th Oct 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 01-Aug-13 01:13 AM
26535 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Zack,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
Have you tried resetting the camera by using a paper clip to push the reset button on the bottom of the camera?

Best Regards,
Marty

w9sz Registered since 31st Jul 2013Wed 14-Aug-13 03:48 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Urbana, US

Yes, I tried that. It didn't seem to matter when the camera was having problems. I have not had problems with it in a couple weeks now. I wonder if humidity could be a factor? Both times it failed before it was an extremely humid day.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 14-Aug-13 07:13 PM
18538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

I've not seen this problem before.

Are you using original (as in purchased when the camera was new) batteries recently charged? It could be that they need to be replaced.

I would probably send the camera in to be looked at and determine if it is work repairing vs. replacing.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

w9sz Registered since 31st Jul 2013Wed 14-Aug-13 07:29 PM
#4. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Urbana, US

Thanks Anthony. I have the original battery plus another I purchased about 3 years ago. When the camera is operating normally, both batteries charged to full charge give me the expected amount of usage out of either battery. I just took about 180 photos using the built-in flash on the camera on a single charge on the original battery that came with the camera last weekend.

If it acts up again I may send it to Nikon to have them look at it.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 14-Aug-13 11:41 PM
3225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 4

Hatboro, Pa, US

Look closely at the repair cost if it needs it. KEH sells a D70s in Like New - condition for $172 and an EX+ for $149. Or it might be time to upgrade if you choose.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

w9sz Registered since 31st Jul 2013Thu 15-Aug-13 11:38 PM
#10. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Urbana, US

I'd really like to have a D600! Can't afford one at the moment.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 15-Aug-13 06:55 PM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

To me, it sounds like a CF card problem. They go bad occasionally. Have you tried another CF card? Are you using an approved card? The approved card list can be found here.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9601/~/approved-cf-cards---d70-%2F-d70s

Best of luck.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

w9sz Registered since 31st Jul 2013Thu 15-Aug-13 11:37 PM
#9. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 6

Urbana, US

I have several CF cards and they all seem to work fine. The problem started one night when I was out in a crowd. The second time it happened I was trying to transfer the photo files from the CF card to my computer via the mini-USB port on the camera itself. The download stopped and the camera locked up. I could transfer the files with a CF card reader in the computer.

I suppose there could be a problem with the interface chip between the CF card and the microcontroller in the camera. Typically, if I take the card out, the camera will display -E- showing there is no card in the slot. When it had problems, everything seemed frozen. If I removed both the battery and the CF card and then installed the battery with no CF card, it would take as much as 10 minutes for the camera to initialize and display the -E-. I don't know if it was having trouble accessing the CF card interface or not.

It's been doing fine for a couple weeks now. It's a mystery to me what was going on.

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Thu 15-Aug-13 08:05 PM
540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

This isn't one of the typical things to happen but it might have to do with the D70s Achilles heel - connectors. Could be very simple. Or, yes, the camera could be failing. Please update the camera's status as you find things out.

Best,

Hendrik

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 15-Aug-13 10:39 PM
18538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

In speaking with my local camera repair shop (I was having a CLA done on my camera), the tech mentioned that the batteries could be going south or the charger and that both should be tested to rule them out as possible causes to the problems.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Thu 15-Aug-13 11:52 PM
832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 8

Woodcliff Lake NJ, & Jacksonvi, US

I was going to say it sounds like a battery issue. Clean the contacts on the battery and the camera and try a new battery.

Richard

teavenson Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2006Sat 05-Oct-13 01:51 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Covina, US

I had the ON/OFF switch problem several years ago. I took it to Nikon here in Los Angeles and they had to replace the on/off mechanism and circuit. The camera was out of warranty, but they fixed it at no charge.
Sending it for repair may be the only way to fix the problem.

Tom

Tom Eavenson
Covina,CA

tamphlett Registered since 03rd Apr 2013Thu 10-Oct-13 08:15 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 12

GB

I'd try a quick squirt of Isoclean on all contacts for the battery and card first. I've found Isoclean works wonders for any electrical equipment that relies on contacting surfaces from radio dials to PC USB connectors.

Just need to make sure to keep it clear of any optics!

Try at your own risk, but I find it works.

My Nikonians Gallery

Tim Amphlett
Lancs, UK

w9sz Registered since 31st Jul 2013Thu 10-Oct-13 03:25 PM
#15. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 13

Urbana, US

Thanks. I've never used Isoclean but I have some Deox-It. I imagine it is a similar product and would do the same thing. Where would I get Isoclean?

Zack

>I'd try a quick squirt of Isoclean on all contacts for the
>battery and card first. I've found Isoclean works wonders for
>any electrical equipment that relies on contacting surfaces
>from radio dials to PC USB connectors.
>
>Just need to make sure to keep it clear of any optics!
>
>Try at your own risk, but I find it works.

w9sz Registered since 31st Jul 2013Thu 10-Oct-13 03:20 PM
#14. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 12

Urbana, US

Thanks. If it does it again, I might go that route. It hasn't acted up for a few months now. Very strange. Everything has been fine. I have two batteries for it and, after a charging, I can take close to 200 flash shots with it on one battery before the battery dies. So I'm pretty sure the batteries are fine.

I am thinking there may have been a bit of corrosion on one of the pins in the CF card socket and after inserting and removing the CF card a few times, it wore off the corrosion.

Zack

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Thu 10-Oct-13 03:48 PM
540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

Glad to hear the problem is in remission. If you want to see what's going on inside, try searching on the terms "ifixit" and "d70". Lots of repairs to choose from!

Best,

Hendrik

w9sz Registered since 31st Jul 2013Thu 10-Oct-13 04:59 PM
#17. "RE: D70S problem"
In response to Reply # 16

Urbana, US

Cool! I've never had it apart but it doesn't look difficult. I've done a CLA on several large-format shutters, so I'm not afraid of taking things apart!

Zack

>Glad to hear the problem is in remission. If you want to see
>what's going on inside, try searching on the terms
>"ifixit" and "d70". Lots of repairs to
>choose from!
>
>Best,
>
>Hendrik

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252899 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.