nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252861
View in linear mode

Subject: "ken rockwell settings" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Thu 25-Jul-13 02:37 AM
1426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ken rockwell settings"
Thu 25-Jul-13 02:38 AM by pasknucklehead

US

Hi everyone,
Has anyone on here ever set their d90"s settings to those that Ken Rockwell suggests? Just wondering if mine needs a little tweak here or there...Still fretting over the difference I posted about the 2 camera monitors looking warm and cool...Am going to get with this other person and we are going to sit down and go through every menu on our camera's and see what is different...But was wondering about this excerpt I took from Rockwell's site,,,see if it makes any sense to you.

Darlene

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ken rockwell settings
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
25th Jul 2013
mkbee1 Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
HenkB Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
pasknucklehead Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
25th Jul 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
23rd Sep 2013
HenkB Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
shipsdrummer Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
25th Jul 2013
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
26th Jul 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
26th Jul 2013
micolhart Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Jul 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
26th Jul 2013
elec164 Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
26th Jul 2013
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Jul 2013
micolhart Silver Member
30th Jul 2013
Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
26th Jul 2013
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
27th Jul 2013
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
27th Jul 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
27th Jul 2013
GTF
26th Jul 2013
29th Jul 2013
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography
30th Jul 2013
30th Jul 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
30th Jul 2013
30th Jul 2013
30th Jul 2013
I gronk
31st Aug 2013
tamphlett
10th Oct 2013
rjo3491
17th Nov 2013
Reply message RE: ken rockwell settings...
mkbee1 Silver Member
22nd Nov 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 25-Jul-13 04:52 AM
4920 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

While Rockwell tends to have a poor reputation, what you are quoting seems like an accurate way to adjust your white balance settings to a more personalized color. I have done this with my D700 for the "cloudy" setting.

Without more context, I would ignore his last paragraph.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Thu 25-Jul-13 06:47 AM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 1

West Valley, US

Having read Ken Rockwell for some time, and heard some negative comments, he does have his opinions, which seem to work for him and others. (Me, for example.)

After buying my D 90, and reading The D 90 for Dummies, the factory manual, Mastering the D 90, the Magic Lantern Guide, and comparing them against what Mr. Rockwell says in his "D 90 User's Guide", I find his the easiest to understand, and use it to set up my D 90. "Mastering the D 90" is second.

It isn't a totally comprehensive guide, just enough to get you in trouble sometimes, but, all manuals are like that! I found Rockwell's recommendations are enough to use your D 90 well and satisfactorily. IMO, Very useful!

Bryan Peterson recommends shooting permanently in Cloudy white balance to warm up our images, which goes along with what Ken recommends.

He also says that shooting RAW is an unnessary excercise in post processing. The jury is still out on that one. Again, his opinion. Your preferences may be different. I do love my D 90

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Thu 25-Jul-13 04:48 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

This is clearly aimed at jpg shooters. In light of the experience you've had with differences between otherwise identical LCD displays, no it doesn't. The rear LCD is not the gold standard for color management. The final product is. If you can get the camera close to that, that's great, but getting it right on the LCD is no guarantee that the task will be well and truly accomplished.

Best,

Hendrik

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Thu 25-Jul-13 05:33 PM
1426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I certainly see what you are all saying,,,but Hendrik, I understand where you're coming from, BUT wouldn't the issue with "The rear LCD is not the gold standard for color management. The final product is. If you can get the camera close to that, that's great, but getting it right on the LCD is no guarantee that the task will be well and truly accomplished." If you can't really go by what you are seeing on the lcd screen, then how could you actually tell what the final outcome will be,,,you certainly wouldn't have time to run to your computer to see if you are getting what you need at the time of the shooting? Following me??? or am I missing something?

Darlene

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 25-Jul-13 06:28 PM
29354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, UK

What you describe is the main reason for shooting in RAW (NEF) rather than JPG. Using NEF, the white balance can be adjusted to a precise degree after you shoot.

I agree with Hendrik that the camera's rear monitor can never give you a completely accurate impression of how the image will look when printed or viewed on a monitor. The advice quoted in the original post is yet another example of that particular gentleman making a statement that can easily mislead the unwary

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Mon 23-Sep-13 07:13 PM
505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 5

jacksonville, US

I do what Bryan Peterson describes in Understanding Exposure. i shoot on cloudy wb for 95% of my shots. I also shoot Raw. a few times I changed the WB in post but that's rare, unless i am looking for a certian result

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Thu 25-Jul-13 09:46 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 4

Wayland, US

I hear you. KR is suggesting all you need to get great color is the camera. But you know that the display can mislead. Can you lug your computer around everywhere? Of course not. But...

I would run a test. Try successive frames of a subject that will try the camera's color competence at successive settings. Pick the one you would prefer to see on the LCD. Then run the same images through a color-managed workflow and see if the LCD was spot on or you need to apply some degree of offset to get the OOC file to match your desiderata (which, presumably, will not change between devices). If the LCD is OK, hooray. If not, well, at least you'll know that.

Even this is not foolproof since not only will we see the screen product differently in differing light, but color balances change with size. We have all had the experience of chimping and having our socks blown off by what we see only to be disappointed when we open the file and try to make the print look like our memory of what the camera display looked like. Anyone selling prints needs to take the final output as governing all prior workflow if the desire is to get an image from camera to print with as little unnecessary manipulation as possible.

My disclaimer: Even though I started down the digital path when jpg was the only reasonable game in town and know how to deal with baked-in color shifts, I stopped shooting jpeg a long, long time ago. I don't find dealing with white balance in an all-raw workflow (first, before anything else) at all onerous - not even if I come back with several hundred images shot in crummy light. I feel I have a much better chance of achieving my desired results that way than taking a chance on the LCD. I use the LCD, sure, for the histograms and blinkies and, if necessary, to check focus or noise, but I generally don't give color a second thought while the camera is in my hands.

Best,

Hendrik

shipsdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2006Thu 25-Jul-13 07:41 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Robert in New Orleans LA, US

But wouldn't this be more reason to refer to the RGB histogram on the LCD while out in the field as an aid to determining proper white balance?

"Burn Slowly the Candle of Life"

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 25-Jul-13 09:59 PM
4920 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 6

Seattle, WA, US

I am not sure that white balance can really be judged from the histogram. That is more of an exposure reference.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 25-Jul-13 10:12 PM
2079 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 8

Norcross, US

His base, for the most part, is fairly unsophisticated. His opinion's make it easy for the person who has little understanding of their camera and about the same desire to learn it.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com
NorcrossPics on Instagram

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Fri 26-Jul-13 02:18 PM
#10. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hendrik, that makes sense what you're saying,,,and I guess the bottom line is to know that what you see on the lcd may or may not be what you'll get...I definitely will take your advice and do some testing between the lcd on camera and my final output and see what I can tweak, yet at the same time, I do know now that it may still be a little off. At least that makes sense to me...Do we have on our nikon site any settings that folks set their cameras to to get the most out of them, especially the d90?
I've been shooting water drops way too long, and in controlled lighting, now when I ventured out into the big world, I guess I was confused a little

Darlene

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Fri 26-Jul-13 03:04 PM
467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 10

Oeiras, PT

Hi Darlene,

Like you, i own a D90 for the last 3 1/2 years, and i'm so pleased with it.

I always shot in RAW.

But i like the colors on the back LCD (JPEG version of the shot) to look a bit warmer than the standard ones - that's the reason that i choose the VIVID option with A3 WB setting (like KR suggest - though i only found KR after).

Concerning KR, we all should take this advice with some restrictions. And nikonians do this brilliantly.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

micolhart Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Fri 26-Jul-13 03:10 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 9

Gilford, US

Wow, you sound like a first rate snob or A hole.

Mike

SEMPER FI
Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue
Marine Corp Monument, Washington,DC

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 26-Jul-13 03:24 PM
6252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 12

Tacoma, US

>
>Wow, you sound like a first rate snob or A hole.
>
>Mike
>
>SEMPER FI
>Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue
>Marine Corp Monument, Washington,DC

Mike,

In this kind of thread, it is important that you identify who you are referring to, otherwise the wrong person may think your are talking about them. It isn't clear who you are responding to.

Secondly, your wording could be less trashy. This isn't Facebook, and name calling is not appropriate.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Fri 26-Jul-13 06:44 PM
467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 13

Oeiras, PT

Hi Mick,

Maybe Mike was referring to me???, as his post followed mine!!!

If so, i have no idea why. I don't think my post was rude to anyone.

I used to be a NATO officer (A-7P and F16 pilot), and i "worked" several times toghether with USMC guys (as his signature suggests he his), and i can assure to all of you that this kind of wording is not a standard way between USMC...

Happy photos, Mike!!!

José

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 26-Jul-13 06:53 PM
2157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 15

US

>Hi Mick,
>
>Maybe Mike was referring to me???, as his post followed
>mine!!!
>
No, if you view the posts in thread mode and look at the hierarchy tree, it appears he was responding to Bob Chadwick.

Personally I also felt Bob's reply might be offensive to some, especially if you like reading Ken's musings.

Personally when I want a good laugh, I'll read Ken's rantings. But I know to take a lot of his opinions with a grain of salt. After all he does consider himself to be an immature prankster!

Pete

Pete

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Fri 26-Jul-13 07:04 PM
#17. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 16

Oeiras, PT

Hi Pete,

In my PC his post appears after mine (mine at 02:04PM his at 02:10PM), that's the reason i "shoot" back.

"Personally when I want a good laugh, I'll read Ken's rantings. But I know to take a lot of his opinions with a grain of salt. After all he does consider himself to be an immature prankster!"

Just like me!!!

Thank you.

José

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 26-Jul-13 08:28 PM
6252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 16
Fri 26-Jul-13 08:29 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

>>Hi Mick,
>>
>>Maybe Mike was referring to me???, as his post followed
>>mine!!!
>>
>No, if you view the posts in thread mode and look at the
>hierarchy tree, it appears he was responding to Bob Chadwick.
>
>Personally I also felt Bob's reply might be offensive to some,
>especially if you like reading Ken's musings.
>
Yes, that is what I thought, but it is subject to some misinterpretation.

Bob's comments, while not something I would write, were not personal, nor did they consist of abusive, foul language.

I'm not a prude, but this forum isn't the place for that.

Mick
or

micolhart Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Tue 30-Jul-13 03:55 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 13

Gilford, US

It was the statement made by Mr. Chadwick. I guess it was his demeaning,pompous,arrogant and superior attitude that set me off. I will apologize to Facebook, if I had an account.

Mike

SEMPER FI
Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue
Marine Corp Monument, Washington,DC

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 26-Jul-13 09:55 PM
52520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 12

East Frisia, DE

>
>Wow, you sound like a first rate snob or A hole.
>

Your choice of words is not OK.

See it as a first and last warning, otherwise you are gone.

That is not Nikonians like.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sat 27-Jul-13 12:52 AM
2079 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 20

Norcross, US

Certainly wasn't meant to be offensive. Sorry if it offended you.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com
NorcrossPics on Instagram

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 27-Jul-13 01:07 AM
1350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 21

Toronto, CA

I know Ken Rockwell is not well respected.

I also know that lots of the notes of his that I read are very opinionated and do not go along with the general view of how to do things.

What I DID find very useful in his D90 document was that he said "this is the setting I use, and this is my reasoning".

Reading his reasoning helped to understand what the setting was for, even if I chose (in many cases) to ignore his recommendations -- so I found something quite useful in his writings. I find this is often the case even if one totally disagrees!

----
Dennis Smith.

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Sat 27-Jul-13 02:36 PM
#24. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 23
Mon 29-Jul-13 02:18 PM by espeto68

Oeiras, PT

Dave,

Thank you for remind me those excelent values.

All the USMC guys i worked with, i would put my life in their hands without a blink.

Nikonians - the best forum ever seen!!!

José

GTF Registered since 03rd Dec 2002Fri 26-Jul-13 04:20 PM
230 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Mastic Beach, US

Use the D90s custom white feature.
It easy and fast once you learn it.
It also gives you the best results.
I purchased a gray card from
http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html
They sell them in different sizes.
I purchased the one that fits into a shirt pocket.
It comes with a carry protector and a strap if you like to carry it that way.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Mon 29-Jul-13 06:41 PM
#26. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 14

US

WOW!, all this simply from asking a question about monitors,,,,scary!

Darlene

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 30-Jul-13 02:43 PM
3364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 26
Wed 31-Jul-13 09:48 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Hi Darlene
The rear monitor is really useful for everything Except color reference. It is close and nice looking but getting the same file on a color calibrated monitor can reveal differences, and usually does.
Bob comment about the target audience for the blogger in question was correct, his audience IS focused on new users and as a result often gives enough information to start and experiment. But you will find few people who stick with the suggested settings after they get more experience and become more confident in imagining a final result and making it happen with creative use of the settings.

Darlene, you are in that more experienced group now and have made your vision available to others in really interesting ways. Your drop photos are still some of the most interesting photos posted and the recent contest and judged confirmed that.
Compare his posted photos to yours before assuming he has the answers. His are mostly snapshots and tend to feature over-saturation and vibrancy that beginners usually prefer when just coming from point and shoot cameras. That works fine for small images but when a 8X10 or larger print is the goal, over-hyped colors and contrast so desirable.
I'll take your images over his any day.

As was mention, RAW is not that onerous or difficult to work with but opens up many options in making corrections or enhancements that would be ineffective in JPG files. For snap shots and memory aids, JPG are very good, surprisingly good but, essentially, you get what you have. It is easier to optimize files in ways you would like to, using RAW.
Keep up the good work Darlene!
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Tue 30-Jul-13 05:34 PM
#32. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 27

US

Well Stan, you just made my day....and you know what?....you ARE RIGHT! I AM in the more experienced group now, and I need to just keep remembering that just keep doing what works for me...Raw files and creativity, with that combination you can't go wrong!...Thanks Stan, I appreciated that post!
And hey Mick, you are absolutely right!!!!!! and just think had it been manual or autofocus, OH MY

Darlene

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Tue 30-Jul-13 06:20 PM
#33. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 32

Oeiras, PT

BTW Darlene,

Your photos are really good!!!

I wish i could get some like yours. Will keep working on it.

José

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Tue 30-Jul-13 09:43 PM
#34. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 33

US

Jose, you need any help, just give a yell!!!!!! It will make my heart feel good to give back to this forum for the help they have all given me....

Darlene

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 30-Jul-13 03:05 PM
#28. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 26

Tacoma, US

>WOW!, all this simply from asking a question about
>monitors,,,,scary!

Yeah, good thing you didn't ask about white balance!

Mick
or

I gronk Registered since 31st Aug 2013Sat 31-Aug-13 01:17 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I for one use photoshop to adjust my photos in raw but I bought my computer with a higher end graphics card for photo prossing and a 36" monitor so my old eyes could see what the heck I am doing but I also know that isnt an option for every one

tamphlett Registered since 03rd Apr 2013Thu 10-Oct-13 09:11 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 35

UK

Re. White balance:

I shoot RAW now and use a grey card.

The grey card shows you what the WB SHOULD be.

RAW lets you get "creative" if you want to.

My Nikonians Gallery

Tim Amphlett
Lancs, UK

rjo3491 Registered since 19th Sep 2009Sun 17-Nov-13 02:27 PM
#38. "RE: ken rockwell settings"
In response to Reply # 0

US

For the most part, Rockwell's right JPEG's are fine. I always shoot in JPEG and RAW (NEF) however in the likely event that I capture one image that's worth further processing. I don't think back end processing on a good image is wasted time.

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Fri 22-Nov-13 10:09 PM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: ken rockwell settings..."
In response to Reply # 0

West Valley, US

Sometimes, He Who Must Not Be Named...gets it right!

"4.) There was a funny article about a year ago titled something like "young hipsters astounded to discover that even with their plastic cameras and lots of Photoshop plug-ins that their photos still stink." The article goes on to explain that the hipsters were shattered when they discovered that their lack of talent wasn't hidden by getting a cool camera and software to imitate bad cameras."

Come on; we have all thought it; now somebody has actually had the nerve to say it!

There's a lot of that going around!

I shall now don my Nomex BVDs!

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252861 Previous topic | Next topic