Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252845
View in linear mode

Subject: "What would make 2 cameras monitor look different" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sun 21-Jul-13 02:32 AM
1403 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
Sun 21-Jul-13 03:19 AM by pasknucklehead

US

Hi friends,
Went to a wedding this evening to help out the photographer who was doing the actual shoot. Here is my question...We both have d90's, I have a sb700, he had a sb600. Both flashes were set to ttl. He used a sigma 2.8 17-? I don't remember exactly, I used my Nikon 18-200. We both for a few shots had our camera's set to program mode,,,which is something now I rarely do, but I just could not get my lighting to even come close to what his camera was doing. Taking shots outside, green grass and closeup's, he had a nice warm close-up, I on the other hand, same shot, same distance, was very cool looking. In cool I'm not meaning neat,,,I'm meaning bluish cool. What do I need to look at to see what was making such a difference in our pictures. I did notice when we compared side by side settings, my iso which I also set on auto, only was up to say 250, where his on the same shot read 400. I would have thought since my lens was 3.5 and his was 2.8 that that would have been reversed,,he wouldn't have needed as much light as I. Anyone have any ideas? So in short, the same camera, different lens, but basically the same settings, my cool, his warm..His certainly looked far better than mine. Oh and I just remembered too, his picture control was set on standard, mine was on vivid...Would that have done it maybe?

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different
suzyk Silver Member
21st Jul 2013
pasknucklehead Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
aolander Silver Member
21st Jul 2013
jrp Administrator
21st Jul 2013
22nd Jul 2013
drakonian Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
aolander Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
22nd Jul 2013
drakonian Silver Member
23rd Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Jul 2013
25th Jul 2013
danall Silver Member
07th Aug 2013
12th Aug 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
06th Feb 2014
John54
06th Feb 2014
13th Feb 2014

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Sun 21-Jul-13 04:08 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 0

near Hobart, AU

Darlene,

What was your white balance setting? Was it different to your friend?

Cheers,
Suzy
Suzy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 22-Jul-13 01:43 AM
1403 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Both our white balance was set to auto...

Darlene

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 21-Jul-13 01:25 PM
3190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The cool vs warm difference would likely be a difference in white balance. Perhaps his was set on cloudy, yours on auto, for example. Unless the aperture and shutter speed settings on both of the cameras was exactly the same, the ISO could vary if you were both using Auto ISO. Or perhaps he had an "Exposure Fine Tune" value entered (not sure if D90's have this) or was using a little Exposure Compensation. I wouldn't worry about a little exposure difference, and the white balance is easily adjusted by the appropriate in-camera setting or after the fact if you shoot RAW.

Alan

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 21-Jul-13 06:42 PM
34280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Exposure, White Balance and Picture Control settings affect what the LCD shows

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 22-Jul-13 01:47 AM
#5. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 22-Jul-13 01:48 AM by pasknucklehead

US

Well, here's the kicker to my original post...I left him have the sd cards after we parted ways at the reception,,,he called me a little while ago and said he was surprised as I am now, that the photos we took of the same things were identical, that the pictures side by side on his monitor showed my pictures the same warm tone as his...(which I am happy about now). But now, I am certainly confused to say why my monitor didn't show this same warmness...And ideas?
Our white balance was the same,,,the exposure very similar,,,but the picture control was, mine vivid, his standard, yet as he has said, the outcome viewing on his computer monitor shows the pictures are the same warm color...

Darlene

drakonian Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2013Mon 22-Jul-13 09:50 AM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 5

voorhees, US

if you were shooting in raw both pictures would be the same, what you see on the lcd monitor is the converted jpeg. Click info button twice, go into picture control vivid. than go into grid, were there previous color changes. Don't have my d90 in front of me, but I think you can do a reset.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 22-Jul-13 03:54 PM
3190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 5

Nevis, US

If you both were shooting RAW, the images would be developed using the image editor's default settings and would ignore in-camera settings like saturation, contrast, etc. The images would then look much the same. (If he used Nikon software to open them, the in-camera settings would be applied and they likely wouldn't look the same.)

Alan

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 22-Jul-13 05:39 PM
#8. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Actually we were both shooting in jpeg fine...I'm sending an example of mine, don't have his right in front of me,,,but even this doesn't look the same as it does on my monitor. This look exactly like his did on his camera monitor, but looked cooler on mine. Yet as I am looking at it now on my monitor it looks warm to me, yet when I put the card back in my camera, it looks cool. So do I need to reset my picture control? His was set to standard, mine to vivid.
My setting for this was wb-auto, picture control-vivid, program mode 1/60 f6 iso 400 which was also on auto. I used my sb700

Darlene

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

drakonian Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2013Tue 23-Jul-13 02:41 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 8

voorhees, US

Last thing I can think of: check you and your friends color space to see if its the same. Its either sRGB or Adobe RGB

MENU BUTTON - SHOOTING MENU- Color Space

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 23-Jul-13 08:07 AM
25649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Darlene,

Are both cameras set to the same Brightness level (See LCD Brightness in the Setup Menu)?

Best Regards,
Marty

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Thu 25-Jul-13 01:46 AM
#11. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu 25-Jul-13 01:58 AM by pasknucklehead

US

Hi again,

My friend and I are going to sit down this weekend and look at all the settings within each of our cameras to see if something was set differently....So far everything that's be posted on here has been checked and everything is the same on both camera's.
I'm pulling my hair out... I don't understand how the pictures turned out looking exactly the same on his COMPUTER monitor, yet on our CAMERA'S monitor, mine was cool, his warm.

Never fear though, I'll get it figured out...It's frustrating a little bit, because I did everything I possibly could think of at that wedding to get my pictures to look as warm as his was, and I fretted about it and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong that whole time, only to find out I WAS getting the exact same WARM shots....hmmmmmm!!!!!! no wonder I have bits and pieces of my hair pulled out!!!!!!!1

Darlene

danall Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009Wed 07-Aug-13 07:40 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 11

Springfield, US

Wondering what you found out, keep in mind that when comparing camera settings, you must dig a little deeper to make sure they are the same. Lets say for example say you both use the same picture control, there still could be a difference as you can tweak any picture control with hue/saturation etc would not make them comparable unless you check to make sure. Same goes for any white balance setting (except for actual temp settings) as you can tweak these as well and change the default setting for sun, shade etc. Go into camera menu, choose a white balance setting, then select the right arrow, that brings up a color grid that you can change the amounts of blue/green/red etc, you must then select OK otherwise that will not hold. All WB settings even AUTO can be tweaked this way. Some folks like a slightly warmer pict and will choose say Cloudy setting for a sunshine day, fine tuning like i indicate above is one way to tweak the sun setting so it is somewhat warmer but not as much as the default cloudy setting. So again if you are comparing WB settings you need to check this as well.
It really sounds like your LCD display may be off, you really need to check your images with different lighting conditions and compare the LCD camera display with your monitor display. Sure you can tweak your WB settings so it looks correct on your camera LCD but that may throw off how it appears on your PC monitor (assuming that is correct). If your camera LCD is off not much you can do except be aware of it and mentally adjust.
Myself I always shoot RAW but i still like to get my as shot with WB camera settings as close as possible, I've tweaked some of my shade/sun/cloudy settings but usually set actual temperature. One thing I've found out is that my Auto WB is totally unreliable. For example it (Auto) will choose a setting for a cloudy/heavy overcast day that is way too cool, say it should be roughly 6000K, my Auto setting will do it at about equal to a camera setting of 4200K...way too cool. I simply never use Auto WB on that camera, even tweaking it to the max i cannot get it warm enough for a cloudy condition.

Daniel Schlender

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 12-Aug-13 05:48 PM
#13. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Hey Dan, didn't mean to take so long getting back to this,,,what I found out was the only thing that was different was picture control. His was set to standard, mine set to vivid. But both were set the same on the saturation and hue...so I don't know....Now it doesn't seem such a big deal as it felt on that day we were shooting that wedding,,,but in the end, the pictures all turned out great and the couples were thrilled with the final results...

Darlene

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Thu 06-Feb-14 11:42 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 13
Thu 06-Feb-14 11:42 AM by jec6613

Norwalk, US

Have you checked that the in-camera displays are themselves calibrated and matched?

Take the same .jpg, put it on two memory cards, and load it up on both of them, and see if they match at all. It's unlikely that they will even close. Your monitor isn't calibrated like a computer's, so variation is normal.

Edit: just realized how old this thread was, it seems dredged up from the deep! Hope this isn't too late to be helpful!

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

John54 Registered since 18th Jan 2014Thu 06-Feb-14 09:50 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Almost certainly it was the Standard-Vivid difference that had the most effect. Vivid produces pretty unreal results, in my opinion, not at all suited to a wedding. Of course white balance could also be the culprit.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Thu 13-Feb-14 12:10 AM
#16. "RE: What would make 2 cameras monitor look different"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Never too late to answer questions my friend...And yes, I too believe it was the Standard-vivid difference.

Darlene

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252845 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.