nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252810
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D90 and SB600" Previous topic | Next topic
mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Fri 05-Jul-13 04:31 PM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D90 and SB600"

West Valley, US

I've tried to set up my D90 and SB600 to work wirelessly, but, after reading the Nikon factory manual, the Nikonian D90 manual, and calling NIKONUSA, where I was told "You can't do that", I finally got it to work around corners, but only with the on-board flash raised, and set on manual power at 1/128 power, camera in commander mode, with proper channel set.

I am thinking that is essentially an optical slave function, and wonder if anyone can give me a simple, step-by-step tutorial on how to use the SB600 and D90 without raising the built-in flash? Is it even possible? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks;

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D90 and SB600
cpopescu Silver Member
05th Jul 2013
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
05th Jul 2013
aolander Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
mkbee1 Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
25th Jul 2013
gnatbug
13th Nov 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
13th Nov 2013

cpopescu Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Apr 2011Fri 05-Jul-13 04:38 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D90 and SB600"
In response to Reply # 0

Paris, RO

I have a D90 and a SB700, but I don't think that one could opperate the flash without using the built-in flash and the camera in commander mode.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 06-Jul-13 01:14 AM
1350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D90 and SB600"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

I have that combination -- and yes, you need to builtin flash popped up,
but in commander mode, the flash is not very high-power, and should not have too much effect on the photo.

I used this combination to photograph the kitchen at our cottage through an "internal window" (that used to be an outside window until the kitchen was added on). The flash was on its stand hidden behind a wall, and I photographed through the "internal window" and the builtin flash reflecting off the kitchen walls fired the 600 and did exacltly what I wanted!

----
Dennis Smith.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 05-Jul-13 11:30 PM
27014 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D90 and SB600"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Carl,

>I've tried to set up my D90 and SB600 to work wirelessly,
>but, after reading the Nikon factory manual, the Nikonian D90
>manual, and calling NIKONUSA, where I was told "You can't
>do that", I finally got it to work around corners, but
>only with the on-board flash raised, and set on manual power
>at 1/128 power, camera in commander mode, with proper channel
>set.

From what you discribe it sounds like your camera and Speedlight are functioning correctly.
Nikon CLS wireless flash control uses pulses of light to comunicate with the remote Speedlights. With the built- in Speedlight in Commander mode, you can set it (the built-in Speedlight) to TTL, Manual, or - - mode. You can also set the remote flash (your SB-600 in remote mode) to TTL, AA, Manual, or - - modes via the camera menu.

If you want to use TTL flash control without the built-in Speedlight contributing the the exposure, set the built-in Speedlight to - -. Unless you are shooting at macro distances or are very close to the subject the triggering flash will not contribute to the exposure.

>I am thinking that is essentially an optical slave function,

No! Quite far from it.

>and wonder if anyone can give me a simple, step-by-step
>tutorial on how to use the SB600 and D90 without raising the
>built-in flash?

If you want to use your D90 as Commander for Nikon wireless flash control, the built-in Speedlight must be raised because Commander mode uses flashes to communicate with the remotes.

Is it even possible?

Yes! You will have to buy an SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, or SU-800 to place in your D90's hotshoe and set the Speedlight in Commander mode to wirelessly control your remote SB-600. Again, CLS wireless flash control uses flashes (pulses) of light to communicate with the remote Speedlights.
If you are close to your subject and don't want the built-in Speedlight to contribute to the exposure you can place a Nikon SG-3IR in the hotshoe and it will convert the white light to IR which will not contribute to the exposure.

Another option is to buy a Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1 to place in the hotshoe and a Flex-TT5 to attach to your SB-600. The Pocket Wizard system uses RF wireless instead of IR.

Best Regards,
Marty

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 02:18 PM
3366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D90 and SB600"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The remote flash (SB-600) needs something to tell it what to do. That's what the built-in flash (or other flash or SU-800) does, it communicates with the remote flash. The camera does not "talk" to the flash any other way.

Alan

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Fri 12-Jul-13 03:07 AM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D90 and SB600"
In response to Reply # 4

West Valley, US

O.K., Thank you all very much for clearing up my misunderstanding. That removes a large area of confusion!
Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 25-Jul-13 07:17 AM
2549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D90 and SB600"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Some people are disappointed to find out that Nikon’s “wireless” flash system does not communicate by radio. I think the reason (or one of them) is that radio communication is regulated and differs from country to country. Nikon’s CLS uses light, which is free from regulations and photographers can (legally) use the same equipment everywhere. It’s not a dumb optical slave. In the CLS system, communication by light is encoded in one of four selectable ways (called “channels”). Unlike a dumb optical slave, your flash will not be triggered by flashes from other camera, regardless of which channel you select. It can be triggered by another Nikon camera (or flash in control mode). If this happens, you can select another channel. The CLS also differs from a dumb slave in that the camera is able to detect proper exposure and program that to the remotes.

Regards, Antero

gnatbug Registered since 12th Nov 2013Wed 13-Nov-13 02:20 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D90 and SB600"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have had troubles with my D90 and SB800. It will work for a few frames and then it stops firing. Is there a certain distance range my camera and flash need to be in? Is there a shutter speed I should be using?

I'm just not sure what I'm going wrong.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 13-Nov-13 10:44 PM
27014 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D90 and SB600"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Natalie,

Welcome to Nikonians!
To maximize the range, orient the Speedlight so the Light Sensor Window (#4 on page 10 of the SB-800 Users Manual) is aimed at your D90's built-in Speedlight.
You can rotate the flash head 270 degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically to light your subject. Indoors with light colored walls and ceilings the light from the Commander will reflect off of the ceiling and walls allowing the remote Speedlights to located behind walls and objects while continuing to fire reliably. Outdoors, in Bright ambient light, and or indoors with dark walls and ceilings, you must set the remotes to be directly in the line of sight 30 degrees on either side of the camera and no more than 7m (23 ft.) to 10m (33 ft.) max. from the Master. See page 74 in the SB-800 Users Manual.
You should be able to use any shutter speed up to 1/200th sec. without issues.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252810 Previous topic | Next topic