Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252793
View in linear mode

Subject: "Remote shutter release for D90" Previous topic | Next topic
kathiemt Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Fri 28-Jun-13 09:51 AM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Remote shutter release for D90"

Selby, AU

Hi, I purchased some time ago the Hahnel HRN280 remote shutter release for my D90. It is advertised on http://www.amazon.co.uk/electronics/dp/B0019UXI1I as being suitable for my camera.

But, on receiving it, I find the packaging doesn't mention the D90, although it does mention many other models, and it doesn't fit my camera. I'm wondering if I should be looking for an adapter for it, or if I should return it and find something else.

I'm interested in pursuing night photography and want the remote to cut down on any vibration when I'm releasing the shutter.

Kathie M. Thomas
Nikon D90 & D60, 35mm, 60mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 70-300mm and...
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kathiesphotos
Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Melbourne-Nikon-Lovers/
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Remote shutter release for D90
cpopescu Silver Member
28th Jun 2013
mfphoto1
28th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator
28th Jun 2013
HenkB Silver Member
28th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator
28th Jun 2013
HenkB Silver Member
28th Jun 2013
MarK5692 Silver Member
18th Jul 2013

cpopescu Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Apr 2011Fri 28-Jun-13 11:09 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Remote shutter release for D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Paris, RO

Why not use the Nikon remote? I bought mine for about 20 USD IIRC.

Catalin

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 28-Jun-13 02:48 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Remote shutter release for D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

according to the link you sent this came with 3 adapters. Looking at my moms D90 and the link you sent you should be using the adapter that hooks into the usb port on your camera.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 28-Jun-13 05:02 PM
26119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Remote shutter release for D90"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Monica,

It doesn't plug into the USB port. It plugs into the Accessory port (bottom port on the left side of the camera under the rubber door).

Best Regards,
Marty

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Fri 28-Jun-13 04:39 PM
540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Remote shutter release for D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

If the item you bought matches the packaging shown on Amazon, the furthest adapter is the one you will use for the D90. It plugs into the GPS port (bottom port on left, under its own door.) Observe the groove, this is often a very tight fit and may give the impression of being wrong at first.

Best,

Hendrik

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 28-Jun-13 04:40 PM
26119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Remote shutter release for D90"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kathie,

Check the adaptor plugs that came with the remote.
One is the 10 pin Motor Terminal Release plug for D_ and D_00 series bodies.
One should fit the Accessory Terminal (the bottom terminal on the side of your D90 under the rubber door (#14 on page 4 of the D90 Users Manual)) on your D90.
That is where the Nikon MC-DC2 Remote Cord plugs into the D90.

Best Regards,
Marty

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Fri 28-Jun-13 06:33 PM
540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Remote shutter release for D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

>I'm interested in pursuing night photography and want the
>remote to cut down on any vibration when I'm releasing the
>shutter.

For all but subjects in motion you may find the timer function will work just as well and comes free with the camera. Unfortunately, for absolute stability, the D90 does not have a true mirror-up mode to settle vibrations before the shutter opens.

Best,

Hendrik

MarK5692 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2010Thu 18-Jul-13 04:23 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Remote shutter release for D90"
In response to Reply # 6

Clyde, US

Sorry if this reply is late, been out of town. True the D90 doesn't have what would be called a 'true' mirror lock up.

But from the from the manual on page 183 Custom setting d10:Exposure Delay Mode......On can be selected to delay shutter release until about 1 s after the shutter-release button is pressed and the mirror is raised....

Another possibility is to use Liveview to keep the mirror up.

Mark

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252793 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.