Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252766
View in linear mode

Subject: "One tough camera..." Previous topic | Next topic
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 18-Jun-13 06:55 AM
3312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"One tough camera..."

St Petersburg, RU

My GF came to me in tears saying she ruined my D90 which she has been using for 6 months. She explained that she was climbing a set of marble stairs in a palace and it slipped out of her hand and fell and bounced down 15 steps on hard marble and landed with a thud on the marble floor one whole story below. She knew I loved that camera since it was my first DSLR after long film camera history. I don't use it much any more but when I did add a few to its 125,000 shot count, it always amazed me how good it was. She brought it to me and pieces of plastic she collected.
I inspected it, it is not a light camera with a grip with 2 batteries installed so I could see how they could be some damage. I could not find any scratches or dents and the plastic pieces were obviously parts of the lens mount on the 18-105 lens. With the grip it weighs about the same or a little more than my D800 without its grip.
I found that if I pressed and held the broken lens, everything worked including the lens. I brought it home to my workshop in the apartment and inspected it carefully, and mounted a 24 1.4 on the camera and tried a focus chart on the tripod......perfect.
I am not sure my pro D800 would have survived that fall but this series of D90, D7000 and D7100, I have no doubt are about as tough and reliable of cameras out there.
I often read how someone will only shoot some pro models because they demand a rugged camera. They did not study physics obviously or modern materials. The higher mass of a heavier camera requires more strength to survive a given impact or impulse and a lighter, lower mass camera needs less strength to handle abuse. Everyone has dropped their cell phone yet it is rare that one dies from it but drop a DSLR from the same height and big repair bills can be expected.
point and shoot cameras are very tough.
If I can find a Nikon independent repair shop who will sell a 18-105 rear mount collar, all will be back to normal. Otherwise she can learn a appreciate my spare 35mm prime. She keeps the camera on the Green Auto mode and the range of the 18-105 was perfect for her choice of shots so I would like to get that one running again.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: One tough camera...
msullivan09 Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
19th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator
20th Jun 2013
msullivan09 Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
pqtrths Silver Member
20th Jun 2013

msullivan09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2009Tue 18-Jun-13 04:29 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: One tough camera..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I agree with you about the D90. Excellent camera. I started on the D40 so I considered the D90 my first full featured DSLR, so it's my baby. Moved on to the D600, but I'll come back to the D90 eventually.

BTW, if your GF shares any attributes with your friends, then you can't help but forgive her. Stan, I've always admired your lack of male friends!

Regards

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Wed 19-Jun-13 01:35 AM
4820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: One tough camera..."
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

That's interesting but I think you are wrong about cell phones - I have dropped 2 and seen several others dropped by friends - all the ones that were not in a case fell to pieces in impact and never worked again - this is nothing to do with the materials merely the flimsy methods of construction...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 20-Jun-13 09:01 AM
3312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: One tough camera..."
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

My phones are dropped regularly and never had any failures, maybe different makers. My current Samsung Galaxy SIII is pretty slick so falls out of my shirt pocket pretty regularly and has survived well. The Sony before that was run over by a car(it was on soft ground) and only suffered a scratch on the back cover.

Point and shoot cameras are less delicate than DSLRs, and are tossed around and abused in ways we would never treat DSLRs yet handle the abuse well.

I have been playing with the D90 for a day and went out shooting on the street, I had forgotten how heavy is it with two batteries in the grip, being a bit smaller, gives the impression of higher density than the D800 or D7000. Maybe she will not get it back and I should get her a point and shoot;>)

Regarding the lack of male friends, I confess it is true, all my close friends are females, mostly young, so it causes strife in the home with a GF with a tendency towards jealousy. I should update my gallery since there are a lot more. Most of those in the gallery now were shot with the D90, only a few with the D7000 and still fewer with the D800

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

msullivan09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2009Thu 20-Jun-13 02:16 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: One tough camera..."
In response to Reply # 3

US

Yes please do. You have new cameras after all! Thanks for all your good info.

pqtrths Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Thu 20-Jun-13 02:40 PM
605 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: One tough camera..."
In response to Reply # 4

Dublin, CA, US

Stan:

Great story and testament to Nikon and its build quality. If it was me I would have looked very quietly at my girlfriend, slowly shook my head side-to-side, stating in my most solemn manner, "Bad juju! Very bad juju."

When I bought my Nikormat FT2, the store clerk told me that the camera had battle-tank build quality, and that with a CLA every five years should outlast me. (That camera worked great for 20 years until a former friend dropped it into a tide pool and then set it aside for a week to "dry".)

I confess that I "baby" my equipment as I "baby" everything else I own; probably the OCD in me. I felt sick when the camera strap on my D200/24-70 zoom let go and the camera/lens dropped from waist height to the tile floor shattering the polarizer and scratching the undrlying UV filter. (I know that you should not "stack" filters but this is probably what saved the front element on the lens.) The lens/camera have worked fine, but now appears to be having some problems locking focus on wooded areas.

Mp

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252766 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.