Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252759
View in linear mode

Subject: "D70 Built in Flash Sync Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
yahatj035 Registered since 13th Jun 2013Thu 13-Jun-13 04:22 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D70 Built in Flash Sync Problem"

US

My D70 had a problem with the built in flash not firing. It turned out to be the plastic arm in the flash not contacting the metal to close the switch to tell the camera that the flash was open. I was able to repair that (after several painful jolts). The problem now is that the built in flash does not fire in sync with the shutter on any setting. I've done the reset through the menu and using the button on the bottom of the camera and neither helped. Is there a setting that doesn't get reset or is there a hardware issue I've created that anybody is aware of? Thanks in advance for your help.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Thu 13-Jun-13 05:17 PM
1002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D70 Built in Flash Sync Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I was wondering if, by accident, you may have selected "Rear" flash setting?

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

yahatj035 Registered since 13th Jun 2013Thu 13-Jun-13 06:35 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D70 Built in Flash Sync Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think that's the problem. When the camera is in AUTO mode, it looks and sounds like the flash fires and goes dark before the shutter clicks open. In AUTO mode the rear curtain is not available. I wonder if zapping myself on the capacitor messed up the timing somehow or if I jiggled a wire loose in the flash housing.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 14-Jun-13 05:09 PM
26804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D70 Built in Flash Sync Problem"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Carl,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
It sounds like the monitor pre-flash is firing but the primary flash is not.
It could be a weak or bad capacitor.

Best Regards,
Marty

yahatj035 Registered since 13th Jun 2013Fri 21-Jun-13 02:39 PM
#4. "RE: D70 Built in Flash Sync Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought the primary was firing but now I'll have to double check that. Are there any voltage specifications that I could test with a multimeter to see if the capacitor is bad?

Thanks

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252759 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.